Wiki Templates

Wiki Resource Management & Use (Documentation)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Wiki Resource Managers

Gehn, lord of ages

Wiki Templates

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

You know, like these
http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Template:OOC-section

What ones will we need? I can think of these:

Spoiler Warning - for pages or sections detailing solutions to puzzles or which give away spoilers

Proposal - so that people can clearly tell that the page is referring to a proposed idea, and not a standard or a project, some areas where there are many proposals might get their own template (for example :Instancing Proposal: would have a link to a page that linked to all the different proposals).

Project - shows something is a work in progress

Shard Specific - for events or stuff that is specific to one or more shards, so people can clearly see which shard it is on

And I'm sure there's more...
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Marten

Re: Wiki Templates

Post by Marten »

I ran into this problem last night! The wiki doesn't seem to have any templates installed - not even the {{TOClimit}} template is present.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
BladeLakem

Post by BladeLakem »

Some templates can be 'installed'. Others just need to be built.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

If there's something I can do, let me know and tell me how. One of the job opportunities I intend to offer to trustworthy and respected community members on OpenURU.org is wiki admin. Anyone who is motivated, qualified, and has an interest is encouraged to PM me for positions in need here at OpenURU.org, even if I haven't defined the position yet.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I think there are two kinds of "template" being mentioned here: Gehn, I think, is referring to a context dependent wiki "skin", while Marten is referring to semantic templates for wiki markup. The term "template" is commonly used for both, although they are quite different. That said, semantic templates could be built to provide (optional) context notices on pages.

EDIT: I take that back - I re-read Gehn's post and realised that he and Marten were talking about the same kind of template :oops:
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Marten wrote:I ran into this problem last night! The wiki doesn't seem to have any templates installed - not even the {{TOClimit}} template is present.
It is now. Thanks to Mac_Fife for the instructions.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've added a few simple templates along the lines Gehn was asking for, although not all of the variants he proposed (yet ;) ). In due course I hope to smarten these up and add some more.

I've added an index to the currently installed templates on the Community Portal page of the wiki.
Mac_Fife
Marten

Post by Marten »

Thanks!
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm adding documentation for the templates as and when I find time. Bear with me if the "index" lists templates that don't have a description yet - I'll get to it in a few days.

If there are any specific templates that anyone thinks they need and can't build themselves, let me know (post here or PM) and I'll work with JW to see if we can provide it (some need some server side php or css support and it's up to JW to decide whether he wants it on his server or not ;) ).
Mac_Fife
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moved this thread from Suggestion to this new Wiki resource fourm.

Return to “Wiki (MediaWiki)”