Wiki Extensions

Wiki Resource Management & Use (Documentation)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Wiki Resource Managers

Mac_Fife

Wiki Extensions

Post by Mac_Fife »

A couple of things I miss and think would be useful to add to the wiki are:
  • Cite - An extension that allows you to create footnotes in a document.
  • Parser Functions - Logical and conditional functions - very useful for conditional page transclusion (templates).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Gehn, lord of ages

Re: Wiki Extensions

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Mac_Fife wrote:Parser Functions - Logical and conditional functions - very useful for conditional page transclusion (templates).[/list]
Um, could you give an explanation on what this is for this poor clueless person?
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:Parser Functions - Logical and conditional functions - very useful for conditional page transclusion (templates).[/list]
Um, could you give an explanation on what this is for this poor clueless person?
Err, OK, I'll try and give an example, but forgive me if it gets complicated - the point of it is that someone who knows what they're doing does the complicated bit and everyone else gets something that "just works" ;)

Sometimes you want a document to adapt it's content depending on how it's being used. That might sound a bit perverse, but bear with me :) . I'll use templates as an example (coz it's the way I best understand it).

First (for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know), the wiki allows a document to include the contents of a second document. This is handy for inserting things like common banners and avoids you adding in the entire wiki-text of the banner everytime. This process is called transclusion and the embedded document is usually referred to as a template. This is what you referred to in the Wiki Templates thread. To include a template within a document you just insert {{templatename}} in your main document. OK that's the easy bit.

Now to illustrate (in part) I've created three pages on the wiki, so you might want to look at the wiki-code of these:
Sandbox is a dummy article, to show the use of a template,
Template:Spoiler is the template, which shows a "Spoiler warning" banner,
Template:Spoiler/doc is the documentation on how to use the Spoiler template.

Now to explain (I hope ;) ): Sandbox starts with the line: {{spoiler}}
This calls up the Template:Spoiler page (the Template namespace is assumed by using {{...}} )

Now, if you look at the Spoiler page source you'll see that it has a bit in <div>...</div> tags which the actual template bit, followed by a bit in <noinclude>...</noinclude> tags. The <noinclude> tags tell the wiki not to show that stuff when the template gets included in another page. But it is used if the template page itself is viewed. In this case, it's calling another template, Template:Spoiler/doc, which contains the actual usage information for the Spoiler template. So why not just put the documentation directly into the Spoiler document? Well, you can - easily. But, it is often the case that you want to protect the template from edits but still allow others to amend or improve the documentation, and the best way to do that is by having the documentation transcluded into the template, as per my example.

And you could leave it there, but it's a bit "clunky": You have to remember to create the documentation page, make sure you've got the document names matching properly, etc., so wouldn't it be nice to semi-automate it so you don't screw up?
This is where it gets scary :)
So, instead of creating a unique link in every template to it's corresponding documentation page (e.g. {{templateA/doc}}, {{templateB/doc}}, etc.) you just simply call up one universal documentation page for all templates, e.g. {{documentation}}. And this is when you need the parser functions. In the generic Template:Documentation page you add code to evaluate the title of the page that it has been called into. You can then concatenate the "/doc" bit onto the end to give you name of the page where the documentation should be.

So the "end user" simply creates their template with the generic {{documentation}} call, which initially gives a "red link" to the uncreated documentation page, which can be followed then or later on to add the documentation details, and lo and behold all the related template and documentation page names stay consistent without the user ever needing to know how it all works 8-) .

I hope that makes sense to you ;)
Mac_Fife
Gehn, lord of ages

Post by Gehn, lord of ages »

Okay, I think I understand. Thanks. :D
My posts represent the views of me, Gehn, lord of ages, and not any companies or groups which I don't belong to. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moved this thread from Suggestion to this new Wiki resource fourm.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The UsabilityInitiative extension has been added. It is notable that this is somewhat, but not entirely, beta for the current version of the wiki (1.16). It appears that it will be fully suported in 1.17.

Only the collapsible nav and editor toolbar options have been enabled. The collapsible nav works on the sidebar menus. The editor toolbar is juust what it sounds like - nice toolbars for the editor.

These are available only in the Vector skin, so that is now the default.

Please let us know of any difficulties.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The PHPBB/Users Integration extension, Auth_phpBB, was added a little while back to stop wiki spam.

For more information affecting logins from a few accounts, please see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=466
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The SyntaxHighlight GeSHi extension has been added to support formatted code examples of many languages, adding color coding to the syntax.

For a full description of the extension, please see:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ight_GeSHi
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thanks JW, I've used it already :D

Which, brings something else to mind that I've been thinking about: You can get a list of the installed extensions by looking up the wiki's Version page, but we could probably do with a wiki page to explain what each is for and how it benefits page authors. Saves having to go looking up each extension's description elsewhere, only to find it does nothing for you.
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Perhaps a link out of this page: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=Help:Contents

But it is help by functionality, meaning there would be a new entry for maybe "Source Code Formatting." Citations, for example, are implemented by an extension already there (Cite), but not explained as such. It is instead explained as how to use wiki citations.

Return to “Wiki (MediaWiki)”