Adding to Existing Pages

Wiki Resource Management & Use (Documentation)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Wiki Resource Managers

Nalates

Adding to Existing Pages

Post by Nalates »

The Mediawiki help doesn't seem to cover this idea... Adding a new section to an existing page... (== Something ==)

On an existing page with == Titles == the sections break into their own 'edit' sections. The Edit links are to the right of each section heading. Using those links leads one into a dead end. I suspect not much is said about how one adds a section because it is soooo obvious (never mind that I spent 30 minutes trying to find out how to make the change and not break the page).

Answer: Use the EDIT tab at the top of the page. :oops:
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Re: Adding to Existing Pages

Post by Dot »

My sympathies, Nalates. I really find it hard to remember how to do things in a Wiki too. I guess we learn and share like this, and can create our own 'How to' page that will reflect what newbies like ourselves need. -- Well, that, and hoping nice, kind MacFife might help clear up any messes we make (a bit like Nyn does my messes on GoMa) :oops:
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Nalates wrote:Answer: Use the EDIT tab at the top of the page. :oops:
Well, there is another (but similar) way:
It kind of depends on where you want to insert the content, but let's say you want to add a new section part way down the page. The page has four existing headings and you want to add a new section between the existing second and third sections.

You can either:
  • Click the edit link for the second section, scroll to the bottom of the edit window and insert the new section heading and text below the existing material, or
  • Click the edit link for the third section and insert the new section heading and text above the existing material
Either way, once you save the edit, the wiki will recognise the new section heading and give you the edit link for it. I expect you probably thought of that, but were scared of breaking it ;)
Don't worry - If you do mess up anytime, select the "history" tab on the page and simply rollback your edit :)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

You're right, I was chicken.

Thanks for explaining adding sections. Using the Edit links is easier.

It's great to know there is a roll-back available. Undo is always a great recovery tool. I had not realized that History could be used that way.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Wiki (MediaWiki)”