MOULagain Plugin Documentation

Wiki Resource Management & Use (Documentation)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Wiki Resource Managers

JWPlatt

MOULagain Plugin Documentation

Post by JWPlatt »

As soon as we get an idea of an outline for the 3ds max plugin, or any actual text, I'd like to get those formatted nicely on the wki. And if we could be mindful of what's to come in terms of a full-fledged open source project, it would be nice to stub out some or a lot of that.

Any takers with documentation organization skills who can make it look nice and be useful?

A good amount of that has already been started by rarified at:
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=URUDoc_-_Main
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Re: MOULagain Plugin Documentation

Post by Mac_Fife »

One advantage of the relatively limited built-in formatting of the wiki is that it's easier to get a consistent look and feel to things when more than one person works on a job, so I guess we'll be able to share the work out. I'm quite happy to help out "dressing" pages, if some others want to help with the cut'n'paste to get the main content in. It'll rather depend on what form the documentation takes, and how much of it there is.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Dot

Post by Dot »

I might be able to help with this. While wiki formatting is not one of my strengths, seeing how to structure existing textual information is (or rather, can be, depending on the subject matter).
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I'll help as I can too.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Does anyone have a favorite layout they can point to for plugin docs and such on a wiki? It would be good to have some example templates to choose from. Who knows how much documentation there actually is and in what form. It could be simple, short and raw or somewhat more refined, depending on what Cyan digs up.

Also, who has 3ds max now? It would probably be good to include screen shots with tutorials.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

It would be nice if those working on documenting the Max plugin on the GoW wiki and those working on documenting it on the OpenURU.org wiki could work on some coordination, otherwise we end up with duplication of work at best and a big mess at worst.

(Cross-posted on GoW)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I would expect some sharing of anything we do at OpenURU.org, specifically to alleviate duplication of effort.

There's a great big world of open source out there. Anyone expecting the rest of the world to say "Ok, looks like that Guild of Writers" and "OpenURU.org" thing-a-ma-bob have it all locked down so we might as well leave them to it" is thinking way, way too locally. I wouldn't expect anyone to wait on anyone else. I would expect diversity, competition and challenge. And things being open, everyone is welcome to all of it. Cooperation is nicer though.
Dot

Post by Dot »

There's no harm in having the information in both places. Sites are not always available.

Cross-links may well be helpful too.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Definitely. My wish for coordination is not to be interpreted as a desire to restrict anyone’s freedom to work independently. It’s only about making sure the different groups working in the same field are aware of each other and can benefit from each other’s work.

Duplication of information is certainly a good thing, and even duplication of work need not necessarily be bad if done consciously.

Perhaps all that’s needed is a link from either (any) place to the other (some others) so that people who don’t find what they’re looking for in one place don’t give up before they become aware of the others.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

That's interesting. Unless, on one specific information, each place points to the other place.

Or if everything end up in "for more informations on X, go to Y" where Y could be any place out of 800 different places.

Return to “Wiki (MediaWiki)”