Stuff that needs doing and updating

Wiki Resource Management & Use (Documentation)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Wiki Resource Managers

Nye_Sigismund

Stuff that needs doing and updating

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Hey folks

There's not been much activity in this forum for a little while, so I suppose this thread will do!

Over the next day or so I want to do some work on the wiki, basically getting a basic startup guide written for new developers and whatnot. It's a valid point that the wiki's information could be a bit easier to access for the time being. :)

I was checking out what's already on there, by the way. The Cyan Worlds Engine page is out of date, as it's stil talking about giving people access manually! It's admin-locked so I couldn't edit it and fix it. :P

Anyway - the wiki does need some love, so I'm looking forward to getting a page or two written for it. :)

- Huw
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
JWPlatt

Re: Stuff that needs doing and updating

Post by JWPlatt »

Great! Thanks for the help.

I think we'll take the protect off that page after not too long. We just want it protected for a little while after the announcement.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Nye_Sigismund wrote: I was checking out what's already on there, by the way. The Cyan Worlds Engine page is out of date, as it's stil talking about giving people access manually! It's admin-locked so I couldn't edit it and fix it. :P
I edited that page on April 12th to take out the references to the queue (viewtopic.php?p=4079#p4079) - Is there something I missed?

Remember, for any "locked" pages you can still add notes to the "Discussion" tab for the page or post suggestions in these forums.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

I'll make sure to note stuff down in those pages, then. :)

Currently, I'm working on the very basics of setting up at Open Uru. Beyond pulling from Mercurial, though, I won't be authoritive on what else you can do, how to get code up for review, etc. I'm hoping that an OU person will step in at that point and basically explain the other stuff.

I'm hoping that the page will include brief introductions into everything, including where you need to have accounts signed up, where those accounts are needed, how to pull code and how to commit code/get code up for review, what the various Foundry things do (Jira and Fisheye especially), and maybe get as far as blogs and whatnot.

(For the record, I do like a lot of the Mercurial features. It's nice to write a tutorial for it. :D)

Here is what I have so far. Comments? I'm done working on this for the evening, as I'm going to go onto MOULa and chat to people and also work on Llantern, so anyone can throw this up on the wiki with formatting or add extra content.

Code: Select all

Getting started at Open Uru

(Note: All external links were valid 16/04/2011)

Firstly, you will need to get the Foundry certificate installed into your browser. You can do this here: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=Foundry_Certificate_Installation

Now, you need a Foundry account. The Foundry account system is centred around JIRA, so you need to sign up there. https://foundry.openuru.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Optionally, although highly recommended, you can sign up for a Open Uru forum account here: http://forums.openuru.org/ucp.php?mode=register&sid=b3552cbd54d683118ef596c16cae1b63
Getting a forums account allows you to post on the OpenUru forums, as well as edit the wiki. Currently, you should not use an underscore in your forum username if you wish to edit the wiki due to a bug which will prohibit you from logging into the wiki with a name like Nye_Sigismund or Mac_Fife. Due to the large volume of forum spammers, forum access currently has to be manually authorised.

Using Mercurial to get the code

Open Uru uses Mercurial to manage the codebase. Non-Windows users can get Mercurial here: http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Download. Windows users will want to instead get TortoiseHg, which integrates Mercurial into Windows nicely.  http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/ This guide will assume that you will use TortoiseHg, however there are tutorials on the Mercurial website for using Mercurial from a command line.

Packages for Linux, BSD and Solaris can be downloaded from the following system-specific repositories.

# Debian/Ubuntu
$ apt-get install mercurial

# Fedora
$ yum install mercurial

# Gentoo
$ emerge mercurial

# FreeBSD
$ cd /usr/ports/devel/mercurial
$ make install

# Solaris 11 Express
$ pkg install SUNWmercurial

On Windows:

Once Mercurial is installed, boot up the TortoiseHg Workbench program.

The first thing you will want to do in Mercurial is give yourself a name, so that if you commit code to the project you can call yourself whatever you like in doing so. To do this, go to File, Settings, Commit. In the top text field, called Author Colouring, fill in a name, and optionally an email address. The format for this should be something like Nye Morgan <whatdoyousee@iseethecleft.com>. Ideally, you should use your JIRA username instead of a real-life name, mostly because it will cause a lot less confusion down the pipeline!

Following this, you need to create a new repository that you will fill with the code you pull from OpenUru. To do this, go to File, New Repository. Find a suitable folder, or create one, and then click Create. Now we have a repository, but it's empty. To get the code, we need to pull from the remote repository where it currently sits. After creating your new repository, it may not be open to be interacted with – you can open it by double-clicking on the name of the repository on the left of the screen. 

Now, it's time to get that code! Click on the synchronise button (it's the one with the two arrows in a circle). Now, you need to put in the details of the Mercurial repository you will be pulling from. In this guide, we're going to pull the CWE repository, which is the repository for the Max plugin and the Plasma engine. It's located at https://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE . In the “Remote Repository” 
area, click on the drop-down box and select “https”. Then, input foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE (note – do not include the https:// here) into the first text field after the padlock button. Click on the padlock button, and a window will appear. In the “Secure HTTPS Connection” area, select “Verified with stored host fingerprint (good)”. Then click the query button, and the fingerprint should appear in the text field. Then, under “User Authentication”, input your JIRA username and password, making sure that your username is in lower-case. Alternatively, if you don't have a JIRA account, enter “guest” into both the username and password fields. Click “save” at the bottom of the window. Now, you need to clone the repository. To do this, go to File, Clone Repository. Enter the repository's URL (in this example, https://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE) into the “Source:” text field. Next, select a new, empty folder for the clone to download to. If all goes well, when you hit “Clone” the files should begin downloading from the repository. Once done, you will probably want to clone the code over to a separate local repository so that you can work on code whilst still having direct reference access to what's actually on the repository. Local clones can be done in the same way as cloning from a remote server, except you clone from a local repository instead.

JIRA: What on Earth/D'ni is it?

JIRA is the powerful project management tool that Open Uru uses. JIRA has a very extensive set of documents detailing what it does, which you can find here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/JIRA+User%27s+Guide It is a large amount of documentation, though, so here's what it is and how you can use it in brief.

You can find OpenUru's JIRA at https://foundry.openuru.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa. As with much of the rest of OpenUru's secure areas of the website, you will need to have the Foundry certificate installed in your browser to avoid having warning messages pop up every time you attempt to access the secure areas (see the top of this page for more details).
Last edited by Nye_Sigismund on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
rarified

Post by rarified »

Could you wait for my comments tonight before you post. You should flesh out some things, and specify others a little differently. I'm still at work so I can't comment much now.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

No worries. :)
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
rarified

Post by rarified »

Hi Nye,

Heres a couple of things that caught my eye:
Once Mercurial is installed, boot up the TortoiseHg Workbench program.
You should mention that TortoiseHg is a Windows-only implementation of the Mercurial client. It's the one we're recommending because it has worked well, but there are command line choices for other operating systems such as Linux. I'd mention the difference here, and also that Windows users should look for the TortoiseHg link on the download page, not just the generic Mercurial client for windows.
The first thing you will want to do in Mercurial is give yourself a name, so that if you commit code to the project you can call yourself whatever you like in doing so. To do this, go to File, Settings, Commit. In the top text field, called Author Colouring, fill in a name, and optionally an email address. The format for this should be something like Nye Morgan <whatdoyousee@iseethecleft.com>.
It would make correlating changes to users if people would use their JIRAA/Foundry username in the Mercurial author setting, rather than a RL name. I would recommend that choice.

The rest looks great, and I'm looking forward to further additions. We've got some more details forthcoming about proposed processes for pushing changes back up to the main repository as we look how our first victim contributor D'Lanor shepherds his work up.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Thanks Rar, the help's appreciated. :)

Short update to the text above. I'll work on it this evening, but JIRA is a big topic. :P
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Another comment. Well, two actually :D :
Currently, you should not use an underscore in your forum username if you wish to edit the wiki due to a bug which will prohibit you from logging into the wiki with a name like Nye_Sigismund or Mac_Fife. Due to the large volume of forum spammers, forum access currently has to be manually authorised.
We're not saying that you shouldn't use an underscore (and there are probably a few other "special" characters that will result in the same problem) in usernames, but that if you do you have a problem logging in to the wiki. If this happens the admin can set up a wiki compatible username that is bound to your forum login. It's no big deal. You'd log in to the forum using your forum username and log in to the wiki using the wiki username, but all authentication gets done against the forum database, but that's all transparent to the user. It's not a bug as such, just a difference in what MediaWiki and phpBB each consider to be "legitimate" usernames.

Forum access isn't manually authorised but similar to the recent changes at Mystonline.com, in order to be able to post you must add yourself to the "Members" usergroup. Unlike the MOUL forums, there is no need to wait for membership to be approved by a moderator or admin. JW wrote up the instructions for joining the Members group in this post, which should also appear on the Front Page of every logged in user's User Control Panel: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6

Thanks for doing this. Let us have a proposed title for your page (or pages) and we'll see about hooking it into the menus and/or the main wiki pages.
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

rarified wrote:It would make correlating changes to users if people would use their JIRAA/Foundry username in the Mercurial author setting, rather than a RL name. I would recommend that choice.
Ah! That reminds me of a third point that I'd been thinking about earlier: When people create a JIRA account, one of the prompts asks for your "Full Name". I think I'd like to point out that we don't ask that you supply your real name if you don't want to, especially since every action you perform on JIRA will be tagged with that name. Your login username has to be all lower case, but you can use the "Full Name" field to enter your screen name the way you'd like it to appear. For example, I set mine to be Mac_Fife to match what I use most other places.

If someone has already entered their real name but would like to change it to a screen name they simply need to login to JIRA, drop down the arrow at the top right beside their name and click on "Profile". Click on the pencil symbol against "Details" and change the Full Name (and that's also where you change your email address). You will need to enter your password to validate the profile update.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Missed out "like"
Mac_Fife

Return to “Wiki (MediaWiki)”