"Minkata" shard status?

Domain Resource Management & Use (Subdomains, FTP, Email, CNames)

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers

Mac_Fife

"Minkata" shard status?

Post by Mac_Fife »

Should we be considering an equivalent to the cavern status indicators we have for MOULa for use with our "Minkata" shard?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Re: "Minkata" shard status?

Post by rarified »

I can change the status message when the server is up or down. Is that how it's communicated with the MOULa server?
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Interesting. Two thoughts, not necessarily overriding thoughts, are that 1) cavern status is partly there to promote MOULa and consequent donations, so such a status might divert business from our primary objective of helping MOULa, and 2) the OU Minkata test shard might not always be open, like MOUL Beta and Reheasal, so a real time status becomes less informative.

Where would we display it?
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I guess I took Mac's query slightly differently. Addressing your points, 1) I wouldn't expect to have Minkata's status become ubiquitous like the MOULa status on everyones signature, etc. Just somewhere on OpenUru assets where people can see if the shard is operational, perhaps on the signup page, and/or the (yet to be implemented :oops: ) Foundry front page. And addressing 2) it would be somewhere people could find out if Minkata is open or closed intentionally.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of rarified's interpretation. Perhaps a very simple strip below the existing Cavern Status that is on most OU pages: None of the other elaboration with messages, just an open/restricted/closed status.
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

That's where I imagined it. That's not the Chrome way to remove vertical space from the user. ;) But if we go there, the design on the status line could include more information, specifically Cyan's MOULa test shard status (listed first) and possibly a support link. Yep, feature creep!
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

If we do implement a Minkata status (MinCon ? :P ) widget, maybe it's enough to put it on only the Foundry home page as rarified suggests, perhaps replacing the existing cavern status banner: That would meet JW's desires to minimise impact on available screen height and not detract from the general MOULa promotion. Regarding JW's point 2) I'd argue that because Minkata's availability might be variable then a status indication would be more valuable, not less.
rarified wrote:I can change the status message when the server is up or down. Is that how it's communicated with the MOULa server?
Yes. Basically the server status message begins with one of three symbols -
# = Closed
! = Restrictions
* = Open

There is also a default case where if none of those symbols is present, * (open) is assumed (in effect * is a wildcard). That means that in the "normal" case, the message can be "clean", without any added symbols.
Mac_Fife
rarified

Post by rarified »

There are a couple of ways to do this. The status can be retrieved by:
I'll update the status text to include the prefix as you describe.

_R
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

About the variability of the shard status, I meant that it's not minute to minute or day to day like MOULa. There may be longer stretches that announcements will cover better than an indicator.

We have implemented a nice site nav system and Mac's WikiCMS, so if it's implemented for Foundry, I'd rather keep the philosophy of making all the pages consistent. Meaning, it would appear here too. But I'd rather see it on one line instead of separate status and message lines to minimize the space. It could possibly be right-justified in the current status line to use no more space.

Return to “Domain (OpenUru.org)”