Groupware Resource Evaluation

Project Management To Support Collaborative Efforts

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Groupware Resource Managers

Mac_Fife

Re: Groupware Resource Evaluation

Post by Mac_Fife »

Actually, this whole subject arose after rarified posted his outline for creating the first instance of an OpenURU. So wouldn't it be appropriate to "close the loop", by fleshing out that plan and using that as the basis of the side-by-side comparison? It'd be more useful than some contrived artificial model which would just be thrown away effort.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Agreed. A model project which will also serve a practical purpose makes absolute sense.

In the case of what rarified started, I was interested in seeing a real definition of the steps and shopping list involved with getting a basic shard going for real, then flesh out scaling it to larger proportions. This would be to produce something tangible out of the System Concepts project which people could follow. A project could be born of this advance work.

Is it likely that project management software mostly would be used for age construction projects? These would encompass story, art, music, modeling, programming, delivery and all that. That might serve the largest need first, whereas systems work, though necessary as the foundation for for ages to exist, might come second. I suspect shards will pop up as indivdual efforts for the most part first, except for what guilds or commercial efforts might arrange.

So which do you all think would be more appropriate as a standard test project: shard construction or age construction?

A test project should be kept to something modest and skeletal which won't overwhelm the time people have to contribute; i.e. simple. Once it serves its own purpose for selecting the software, then we can expand it into greater detail on whichever software we choose. If we go crazy with the fleshing-out - we shouldn't stifle creative impulse when it wants to come out - maybe we can just mark off the outline with bold to be used for testing purposes, and normal text for the details to come once the final chocie of software is made.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:Is it likely that project management software mostly would be used for age construction projects? These would encompass story, art, music, modeling, programming, delivery and all that.
I'd expect that to be biggest potential use. I'd also expect that a decent "boilerplate" project would be re-usable across many such enterprises with only minimal tweaking.

I suggested rarified's milestone list as a starting point simply because it exists now.
JWPlatt wrote:A test project should be kept to something modest and skeletal which won't overwhelm the time people have to contribute; i.e. simple. Once it serves its own purpose for selecting the software, then we can expand it into greater detail on whichever software we choose.
Yes, whatever target project we choose, to avoid nugatory effort we should only flesh out enough to reasonably exercise the depth of the tool during the evaluation.
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I hesitate to add yet another possibility into this large collection of project management software to be evaluated, but at first glance, OpenGoo seems worthy of consideration. Simple and attractive, it could be something that works and has a future. I have not explored how well it functions or the stability of its development group.

Main site:
http://www.opengoo.org/index.html

Demo:
http://demo.opengoo.org/

...and we could still very much use a test project definition. Yes, I know what you're thinking - I should set an example and do some work on that myself. ;)
rarified

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:...and we could still very much use a test project definition. Yes, I know what you're thinking - I should set an example and do some work on that myself. ;)
You're not the only one :roll: I've still got it on my todo list, but right now I'm in the middle of a
(mostly) internet-free vacation, so I've got to get my priorities straight :D

I'll pick up on this again when I get back home and have recharged a bit.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The OpenGoo demo instance is installed. Get server and account info here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=207
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've been a bit swamped by RL work this past week or so, and I haven't had a chance to follw up on the project outline wiki task or to look at OpenGoo yet, and I'm guessing it'll be June 16/17 before I have any real spare time :(
Mac_Fife
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OpenUru.org has committed to the Atlassian project management and issue tracking suite.

All other project management evaluations have been shut down. Thanks for testing them.

This forum is to be archived.

Return to “Groupware (Evaluation)”