Guilds and the DRC

Spoiler discussion, all may post

Moderator: DUru Project Managers

JeffLewis

Re: Guilds and the DRC

Post by JeffLewis »

So basically, have the official characters "look over" the content etc. that the guilds are doing, before they're out and see if Cyan/ "officials" are interested in tying it in somehow?

So with the SL guilds, a member from the builders could create something, submit it, the guilds would then look over it, like it, and then pass it on to cyan/"official" for final say of release and what they'll have to do with it, if anything other than just release?

That sounds like something we can definately experiment with in SL. If you'd like to elaborate on a plan that we could use, that'd be helpful as well. I see it as sort of an "approval" latter. Guilds have their look at it, then Cyan/DRC/"officials" do and then they all have their say together and move it out to the public... of course there needs to be some sort of method to bypass and do an "on your own" thing where it just has to be looked over by someone for content purposes. But I see how passing something along could provide for Cyan/DRC/"officials" to put their own 2 cents into a project, should the creator(s) want the guilds or Cyan to have potential involvement in their product. I like where that could head.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. My apologies for not spotting it before.

What you say in your post is roughly how I understood it would work. I'll need to go back and check the details -- it's been many months since those discussions took place. There might be some useful points to inform any experimentation.
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

Definately. Essentially what I stated in my last post.

The guild creates something, and then the backround team (Me, etc.) look it over and determine if we'd like to use it and how. Of course, we'll feel bad if we have to say no... but as a guild system, they will continue to support the project, even if we cannot make it an offical Eder D'uru addition at that time, or ever. I feel it allows for open creativity, while still allowing your work recognition. The way the guilds are setup is so that if anyone, anywhere, has an idea, there is a channel for them to go through to develop their skills, or work with others having that skill. It can then be interpreted, played with, and experimented on by the guild as much as they'd like. When they have something they really like, they have the choice of "sending" it to us for a determination. This could either be the main team of folks working on stuff, or the council as a whole. In which case, it'll be looked over by more than just the guild and decided where it should go next, if anywhere.

Also, we're able to have DRC characteristic people in the cavern. Perhaps just to role play a storyline into Eder D'Uru as well which can include these guild activities, while the team would act as a sort of "Cyan" entity behind the DRC characters. I think this flow of information would work well for us, as well as Uru in whatever form it takes.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Whoa, can we back up here just a bit, please? I don't want to participate in role-playing that involves phoney characters. I think we can still experiment and provide some useful information even if we just play ourselves. Here's how I see it: We were explorers in a cavern being managed by the DRC until they closed it down and we moved on to build a home in a new place. In Uru, the DRC gave us the guilds and encouraged us to join them and build them up (with the caveat that they might come back later and change things). In SL, Jeff and his team manage the Eder D'Uru cavern and have given us our own version of the guilds, encouraging us to utilize them and build them up - with the caveat that he gets the final say on everything. See the parallel?
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

This is just a thread to see what possibilities are Tai. If anything the "DRC" characterizations would be storyline addition, not power addition, which is essentially what they are for Cyan.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Since the speculation here is on how Cyan might work back in with the DRC, guilds, Yeesha or some variation, we would should probably think about whether Cyan likely will come back.

The precedent from my perspective is that Cyan usually comes back when they have new ideas. Myst was a first. Some nice things were added to the Myst Series but Uru was a break and ARG and MMO was being brought in. I think if Ubisoft had been more daring and better funded Uru might have changed the complexion of MMO's.

If Cyan comes back into Uru, it would not surprise me that it would be with some new idea. Otherwise I would only expect them to ever participate in small ways.

The Myst Movie is another factor. It could well affect storyline.

Myst iPhone is bringing new fans into the mix. Many like the idea it is not point and shoot and entirely different from most other computer games. This shows there is some demand for something different. With players spreading across many virtual worlds there is certainly possibilities for some unique concept of how to make a game work in a much larger virtual world. I am making the guess we wont see much participation from Cyan/Millers unless they pop a new concept.

I think that leaves much open to new story lines. If we do the you-are-you IC story... explorers have just moved on to other worlds. To funnel that back down to just Uru and the original cavern is probably not a practical goal or story. I may visit the cavern. But if I were asked in cavern I could say IC that I live in Minkartah and give one a SLurl as Tal'lahr might give one to Eder D'Uru. The nature of the explorers has changed.

While I don't expect Andy to land his spaceship from Eve in Ae'gura he might return and talk about his travels and experiences. The u-r-u IC is not that tightly controlled by the game masters. The story frame is past the historical Myst series is very flexible.

When we were playing Uru in '03 there really were not that many of us involved in other virtual games (MMO style). We were focused on Uru exploring and learning to move from solo exploring to MMO play. I expect some of that to return with the new fan ages. But I do NOT expect Uru to be as consuming as it once was for those previously in the cavern. It seems natural for IC u-r-u types to keep their varied interests. We have grown. I once only participated in one guild. Now I'm not sure how many I participate in. IC in Uru has changed.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Spoiler Discussion”