Guilds and the DRC

Spoiler discussion, all may post

Moderator: DUru Project Managers

JeffLewis

Guilds and the DRC

Post by JeffLewis »

Second Life provides a rich atmosphere for potential role-play or "In-Cavern/In-character." I'm interested in taking advantage of that potential in Eder D'Uru. I've begun thinking about it, but then started wondering how such a thing could mesh with the guild system Eder D'Uru has setup already.

In terms of Uru going open, what will become of the DRC now that the guilds are going to be taking over the cavern. Which also begs the question, what will Cyan do when/if they want to contribute ages or storyline into "our" world? Will they do such a thing through yeesha's will, or will they bring the DRC back in to produce their ages. I'm looking to see what you folks think. How would the guilds and "official" storyline be able to mesh in a world. I'm willing to put Eder D'Uru into the test tube in this situation and see what works, and what doesn't. Please share your ideas! I'm very interested to find out what folks think, and what we could try playing with.
JWPlatt

Re: Guilds and the DRC

Post by JWPlatt »

One thought I've had is that Cyan would start or license an official Uru shard. It would be nice if it were an IC interguild shard and not any single guild. The DRC could believeably make an authorized home there.
Perfect speed is being there.
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

I completely agree with that on the Uru front. It'd be interesting to see a Cyan run shard making use of the guilds and one run by us to do similar. Unfortunately, SL doesn't really work in shards... So it's not like we can try having the DRC do the whole sim over again. and have two going just to see.

What I'm interested in is, should Cyan be unable to, or not interested, in their own shard, how would they work within the user ones. That can be experimented with in SL through Eder D'Uru and the guilds of it... to an extent.
Dot

Post by Dot »

What do you think about developing links between the guilds within Eder d'Uru and the guilds that have developed over the years and months from Prologue onwards?

Is it possible to weave them together into story and community?

That is something I am interested in, and would like to explore how GoMa's current work (for example) in writing and inspecting ages and developing areas in There and (soon) in SL might be integrated. Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

In an IC sense there are a number of complications. No matter what we decide or figure is the most probable directions for Cyan, we just won’t know.

Integrating a Cyan shard and another virtual world is becoming more possible. I think most of that work is some time away. The protocol standards are being worked out but are not really usable yet. (See MOOS - INTEROPERABILITY STANDARDS). So, a compatible MOOS is likely way farther away.

There is a community of people that are looking to do more with what we have in SL. Cyan licensing with decide if SL replications or Myst-Style builds are the wave of the future. In either case we know IC explorers have been in the Cavern, found things and returned to the surface. From there we can go to almost any Myst related story we can dream up. We can find a book someone dropped and link to wherever. Someone can make up an exotic story about finding another Cavern in say Missouri (they have lots of caves) where there was another D’ni community.

There are no limits to what we can imagine. It is all a matter of how well one wants to tie it to Uru and how creative we can be in doing that. I would like to see a somewhat parallel story in SL and skip the replications and possible IP rights problems. SL just forced the Dune RPG to remove all the recognizable Dune related RP hooks from their region because the Dune IP holders complained and threatened legal action. That could happen with Uru replications. Plus it will be hard to mesh storylines if there are two duplicate caverns.

If there is an out laying D’ni cavern with another community, and enough people are involved, there is a precedent for Cyan weaving those fan things they like into their story. So, refugees finding another cavern, forming chapters of canon guilds and forming new ones could work.

In SL people are experimenting with various game features and ideas to see how they work. Thend's Forest experiment just concluded. Other people have other ideas in progress. Hook up with the various people in SL and see what is up.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks, Nalates. To be honest, I'm far more comfortable with Myst/Uru-style builds than replications myself because of the reasons you mention. Working in RL publishing makes me particularly sensitive to such issues.

In There, the aim was to build areas with echoes of various ages (so Myst/Uru fans themselves supply the meaning from their own history and experiences), and ones that people could enjoy being together in. There has limited interactivity, and the cartoony nature of the graphics, while helping reduce lag, does put one off developing RP storylines. So it has tended to be more a social area. There is the possibility of leaving reading matter in There, through books or shorter scrolls, and these can link to external websites.

I'm just beginning to explore the possibilities of SL. But being able to place books and journals in world might be one simple way of building links across the worlds.
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

Dot wrote:What do you think about developing links between the guilds within Eder d'Uru and the guilds that have developed over the years and months from Prologue onwards?

Is it possible to weave them together into story and community?

That is something I am interested in, and would like to explore how GoMa's current work (for example) in writing and inspecting ages and developing areas in There and (soon) in SL might be integrated. Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?
It's very hard to combine the guilds in SL with those that are out, for the purposes of this thread anyways. Essentially, this thread is to discuss ways that guilds could be made to intertwine with "official business" easily, and painlessly. The guild system that I have already setup in Second Life currently operates on its own, and the other stuff going on ("official business") is just sort of happening in the backround. Essentially, what would be the best course of action: a) let it just happen while guilds happen b) somehow combine the two to work together or c) Each are seperate entities, but the guilds are a "spin-off" of the main storyline, so to speak.

So, yes, mention how these things could work in Uru, but keep in mind the Eder D'Uru project is taking place in second life. We can model how things would react and grow there, but it is not Uru. There's lots of other places, potentially more constructive places, to express how uru can one day be one with places like SL, but what I'm trying to do right now is determine how the Eder D'Uru project can help us form new ideas to take into Uru, constructively, and agreeable to the rest of the community. A bit like a social experiment into what could potentially come from all of this.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

@Jeff, what do you see the problems are for combining/intertwining the guilds in and outside SL?

May be I’m reading into your words but there seems to be a presupposition that Uru (MOOS) and SL versions will co-exist. Is that correct?

If that is correct, isn’t it more than just the guilds that would have to work together?

I am starting to build the search engine linking positions to pull people to the correct places so they can find MOOS and Myst-Uru-SL information. I know of the 3 existing Myst-Uru related builds in SL, another two Myst-Style are starting and several fans are building or have their private regions… mmm… now I remember why I started using the term sims.

When MOOS comes online we will need to publicize it. We have 13k MOUL members to reach, possibly the 700k+ regularly logging on SL residents, the however many regular players in THERE (yeah just try searching for info about THERE - that was a dumb branding move in the search engine age) and the general public at large. Improved search positions for the sites we want new people coming to needs to be in progress now.

I see that work falling to the fans. The guilds hold the organized fans that can be quickly mobilized. The Eder DUru guilds (I don’t think Gira has guilds – I know the Myst regions don’t) have a small membership right now, as does the ECR&D. But, D’ni Refugees and Explorers’ Community have good sized active memberships. Plus a good number of the SL types have blogs. Groups inside SL are easy to work with in mass. So, we can mount a good PR effort. I plan to have the ECR&D members (those interested) exploring how we can improve getting the word out on the net and within SL.

I think this works best of the communities, where ever they are living now, work together.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

I am saying that they will co-exsist, but for the purposes of this thread we're not looking at the intertwining of the SL systems and the uru systems. We're looking at how within uru itself, the guilds and DRC can exsist together, and in what way would be best. We're looking at it in the perspecitve that "Uru" is SL right now, and the ages that I am building are the DRC or "official" stuff. Then there's the guild system which Eder D'Uru has as well, which represents the guilds already created outside of SL. The thread is to brainstorm how the "official" and "guild" can work together as one, and then put it to the test in Eder D'Uru. This is not to see how Eder D'Uru can become part of the real guilds or real uru. That is not the goal Eder D'Uru has right now, or potentially ever. The goal is to create a playground of sorts for us to live, experiment, and generally exist while we wait. After our waiting, I hope that people will stay as it should still be an interesting place to be and play in.

The reason that the Eder D'Uru guilds would be difficult to merge with pre-existing is because they run on a different level, and each have their own leaders already etc. Also, they cover different topics than those outside of SL, so we have that issue as well. Please make a new thread for that discussion if you'd like to further it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

One expression of how Cyan/DRC might work with guilds is through the FCAL system that was first mooted by Cyan for Uru:CC explorer-written ages. For that, the Guilds of Maintainers, Writers and Archivists were to work together with Cyan to support the licensing of ages and other 'fan-created art' (Cyan's term) within Uru:CC. This can be also interpreted in an IC sense.

Information about the FCAL discussions is on the MOUL forums: Fan Created Art License process FAQ and Guidelines for Official Story/Age Creation.

With the postponing of MORE, these discussions have been put on the back burner.

However, does this give a starting point for experimentation?

Return to “Spoiler Discussion”