The OpenUru Big Blog Banner Brawl

Weblogs To Support Project Journalism

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Blog Resource Managers

JWPlatt

Re: The OpenUru Big Blog Banner Brawl

Post by JWPlatt »

I'm pretty sure custom changes require time and attention to perpetuate for each update iteration. I'm not into feature creep on our time right now, especially when ours is the only active blog using our blogs - sorry. The banner itself is all this is about. I've updated to Wordpress 3.5 as well as updating the theme with a few clicks. Both are now current.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

WordPress has child themes that allow for modifications to live through updates of the base theme... to a point.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Whoa, how'd I miss this thread? :)

Nalates' second picture isn't bad, but it's really fuzzy. I'd personally be in favor of a custom banner, but it would take time for someone to make. What if we held a contest for something like that, kind of like Mysterium does?

[EDIT]
Nalates wrote:WordPress has child themes that allow for modifications to live through updates of the base theme... to a point....
Also, the top banner can be easily changed. It is in its own DIV with its own CSS definition. So, changing the size is easy.
JW has theme modifications disabled by default, so any changes like that would need to be made to a local copy of the theme, and then be re-uploaded, or by JW himself, from his administrator account.
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Trekluver wrote:What if we held a contest for something like that, kind of like Mysterium does?
I though that's what we were doing? :lol:
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Trekluver wrote:What if we held a contest for something like that, kind of like Mysterium does?
I though that's what we were doing? :lol:
That's true! :lol:

However, I was thinking more along the lines of having a set date for the contest, rather than just holding mixed bag style submissions. Things like this typically get done a lot quicker and more efficiently when deadlines and boundaries are set. ;)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

But deadlines and boundaries have to be met. On a schedule. ;)
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

JWPlatt wrote:But deadlines and boundaries have to be met. On a schedule. ;)
Maybe I missed something before...
Mac_Fife wrote:We haven't set a closing date yet, but it'd be nice if we could announce a winner at the All Guilds Meeting on February 2, 2013, so get creative!
Nope, there's no way I missed anything at all when I was reading through this thread the first time, no way, it's not possible! :lol: :roll: :D
Mac, you absolutely have the right to smack the stupid out of me. :P
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The concern in this thread about the pictures has been: What does it mean to people who don't know about Uru? I'm thinking maybe our favorite background screen capture selection should be overlaid, at partial opacity, with several headlines slanted slightly at random angles from news and gaming sites over the years about Uru Live, MO:UL, MO:ULa and open source to show the history - like a montage. The open source headline maybe should be largest and on top of the others while still allowing all of them to be legible. The OU logo and caption maybe should be on the left as it is at the top of this page. Maybe once we see it, we could think about making it a global masthead to replace what we have now.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Fuzzy can be fixed. Its a matter of whether that is the image we want.

@JW - While we would know that the headlines were from the past, new people wouldn't. We would have to add something to emphasize the passage of time and the dates of the headlines. </@>

There also comes the question of multi-size sites for phones, tablets, and desk/lap tops. All the sites we are designing now are 'responsive,' self-adapting to the device used to display them. WordPress is changing over. Presumably phpBB will. I'm not following their development work. Currently the hard part is in handling image sizes. CSS/HTML has not caught up with multi-size device images. Otherwise it is mostly a CSS change.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Reply in new thread, since it was going a bit off-topic: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=858
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Blogs (WordPress MultiSite)”