SD&D Intent and Goals

Open: A proposal for community standards of forum behavior

Moderator: Discussion & Debate Managers

Dot

Re: SD&D Intent and Goals

Post by Dot »

Mac_Fife wrote:BTW: I used "SD&D" since that is the forum title, although this thread has "D&DS" :? .
For consistency and clarity, I changed the title of the initial post.

(Done under no. 6 of MacFife's moderator action list, but without consulting Nalates :oops: I have a lot to learn from these discussions...)
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

:lol: There is always that thing of 'do' or 'talk'. :)

Doing things for good reasons and intentions does not always turn out right. But, I do think it works out more often than not.

Whichever way it is... I can live with it. JWP and I were using SD&D and D&DS respectively. While I am not Russian I have several friends that are and Russian is their mother language. They tend to turn things around when they talk... big blue avatar... avatar big and blue... The order of things is not so important in Russian, or so I'm told. So, I did not even notice it until JWP said something. I changed a title on one of the threads I started to SD&D. So, unless some one has a strong objection and reason, lets go with SD&D.

I would like to get more information together before starting on the wiki pages or creating a link. Discussion across the forums is down so this one may take some time. However, only one person I've asked to participate has expressed a disinterest.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
DMom2K

Post by DMom2K »

Nalates, for SL Community members, I will be posting your notice on this in The D'ni Voice (daily newsletter for the D'ni Refugee Group and Uru Cavern Skydivers Group for those not in SL) I think this is relevant and timely. Let me know if there is anything I can do to support or help you.
Veralun

Post by Veralun »

Not sure if I post this in the right place. Perhaps it will need its own topic.
Please feel free to replace this post to a better place.

I did read as much as possible in this Standards For Discussion & Debate forum.
I am sorry to say, but it is still not clear to me where we are talking about.

Is this forum made for discussing moderation in general?
Or will this be a place to discuss and make forumrules for the OU forum?
Or is it a place to create a net etiquette for the Myst/Uru community?

Moderation and debating on a fanbased forum is different from moderation and debating on a working forum.
So is MOUL different from UO and OU and UO different from OU etc.

To me they are all different subjects and I find it difficult to step into a discussion if there is no clear agenda.

I like to see some guidelines where we are talking about.
Otherwise I am afraid I get drown into to enormous amount of words written here.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Veralun wrote:Is this forum made for discussing moderation in general?
Nalates can answer the rest, but please look at this post where the same question was raised by Mac_Fife:
viewtopic.php?p=2135#p2135

There is a topic about moderation, but that is just one aspect of debate and discussion. There are currently four topics besides this one and some introductions. The project managers and participants will likely open that up as the topics reveal themselves.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I just realized I did not have email alert for new postings turned on... sorry for missing this until now.

veralun, you are right the type of forums are different. The MOUL forum being what I think of as a business run forum with commercial and business interests with which to deal and legal complications. UO was once the primary Uru Live forum and took seriously its conforming to Cyan standards. I still see it as somewhere between a business owned and a privately owned forum. The Clockwork forum I saw/see as the classy rebels private non-conforming forum. We post on all of them. I think many people never consider the differences and the restrictions those differences create. Having all those styles discussed will, I hope, help people understand the differences.

Because I hope this discussion will provide information for all the Uru forums, and possibly others, I tend to generalize. On the scale I used above I'm curious how OU will come to be known.

Is this forum made for discussing moderation in general?
JWP's link to Mac's question and my response should help answer this question. I'll expand and rephrase a little here in the hope of adding clairity. This section of the forum is about all the things related to discussion on a forum. I see that as being about moderators, owners, rules, guidelines and forum members. How we all post and respond, as individuals and as moderators (including moderation) and owners sets the tone and style of a forum. I believe the forum members (individual posting members) can do the most to control tone and style. Moderators and owners have the abilities to try to help influence posting or as a last resort the nuclear weapons to stop non-conforming posters.

The idea I have as to intent, is to come to an agreement on suggested rules, guidelines and examples that forums can adopt or use to improve their existing rules. My more dominant hope is that individuals will adopt the ideas and form their own set of personal standards. But these ideas and hopes are not things to which one must strictly conform.

While I like the more general nature of considering the entire Internet, the people here are Myst-Uru oriented and I expect discussion will center around this communities needs, desires and special cases. The goal is Myst-Uru centered. I think that can be inclusive of other communities. I do not think every community and forum's needs are applicable to our community. As an example; while we make take ideas from various debaters forums, adoption of their rules and strict conformance to their rules would change the style and feel of the Myst-Uru community. That change would not necessarily be a good thing.

Better Guidelines
veralun wrote:I like to see some guidelines where we are talking about.
Otherwise I am afraid I get drown into to enormous amount of words written here.
JWP's edit of the section's preamble is a good change that makes the nature of the section clearer.

Please make any recommendation you feel makes any of this clearer.

Also, all of the topic areas have not been started yet. Please feel free to open any topic area you (or anyone) feel is important or dear to you.

Also many of the topics will over lap... we'll do what we can to say organized. In the end the information is intended to end up well organized in a wiki. So, I won't get too excited about mixing topics as long as information is relative.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Standards For Discussion & Debate”