Importance of QA & QC as a Best Practice

Open: A proposal for community standards of forum behavior

Moderator: Discussion & Debate Managers

semplerfi

Re: Importance of QA & QC as a Best Practice

Post by semplerfi »

snip... it seems to me that the mood, atmosphere, ambiance (at a loss for the correct adjective) of the forum has to be set.
The ideology of the forum (what I was looking for) as set by the owner.

So to define what is consistency we have the forum's ideology (set by owner) to develop what would be consistent with that ideology. What the owner wants is the root. The owner has to have a defined ideology to have consistency.

I see Dot posted while I was building mine.

How about two what we are familiar with; this one and our favorite game? This is more business like and the other is more family like. That's something of a contrasting scenarios.
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

snip... That's something of a contrasting scenarios.
To add to this contrasting scenario, my belief is that this venue’s patrons are the most diversified in all the gaming industry. No other gaming company has to deal with such a wide range of diversities such as age – 10yr to adult, Nationality – all nations, gender, rambunctious to docile (sorry to use docile for now, we will develop more expectable monikers), the reasons patrons play this venue and children’s youthful dialogs to adults mature dialogs and debating to the tenth degree, to name a few. All under one roof.

The ideology has to be well defined to develop QA & QC to measure consistency of the ideology’s application.

I do not think there is another example in the industry that encompasses this broad of challenge to draw from.
Zardoz

Post by Zardoz »

Ideology and other high-level concepts are great - but ultimately, QA&QC depends on finding metrics that are observable and measurable, and so it's just as important to connect the one to the other. Define the ideology or the goals of the forum, and then start to propose ways of measuring success or failure in adhering to that ideology or meeting those goals, and similarly measurable ways of gauging the contribution of moderation. Now test those metrics in scenarios - do they send the right signal most of the time?

:o

Yikes, this is starting to sound like my work . . .
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

While ideology is important, I can't see how we will define that for a site owner. By the time one is concerned with QC&QA it will already be set. I would think for this threads purpose we could pick any set of broad criteria.

We know commercial sites will have issues with IP rights. Forum members are likely going to be restricted from posting anything that endangers those rights. It is reasonable to believe moderators will always have some topics to keep off the forum.

Most sites will have an interest in maintaining a place where fans or customers will want to be. Things they believe will detract from the members experience will likely be restricted or prohibited. Abuse and bullying will are typically prohibited to help achieve that.

How do we tell if the moderators are achieve those goals?

That prohibited material is kept off the site is a criteria that could be considered. I think how they kept it off if is a consideration. If they unnecessarily upset people in the process...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

I can't see how we will define that for a site owner.
I’m sorry I did not mean to imply we will define.

I meant the owner has to have it defined as you acknowledge in your next sentence.
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

I purpose we start with a simple scenario first to develop ways of measuring success or failure in adhering to that simple ideology? Take on a more complex scenario after developing a little method-ology of our own?

To take us off center for a moment, I would like to purpose standardizing some terms that we will use a lot and add them to our definition list at top of this discussion. I would like to get away from having to constantly define terms we use a lot. Suggestions?

I would like to purpose some form of consensus on recognized key items before we move forward too much.

I would like to purpose taking advantage of peoples’ expertise, consensual of course, when possible.

Zardoz, would you consider facilitating (only when needed of course, your call) and sharing your expertise in this project?

On that note I would like to purpose that we do what we can when we can here. We all have other commitments that can get in the way. So some stuttering in forward movement is to be expected. Summer is on the way, YAY!
Zardoz

Post by Zardoz »

semplerfi wrote:Zardoz, would you consider facilitating (only when needed of course, your call) and sharing your expertise in this project?
My expertise is in evaluating economic and sociocultural metrics and indicators in the context of coupled human-natural system modeling.

:geek:

Among other things . . .

:o

But I digress....

:shock:

I'd be happy to do . . . whatever it is . . . I would do . . .
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

I believe we have a form of consensus.

Concur?
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I suppose... I still feel we are in planing to plan phase.

I suggest going for the topic point and define terms as we go.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

Nalates wrote:I suppose... I still feel we are in planning to plan phase.

I suggest going for the topic point and define terms as we go.
Yes we are and I feel we have done this as per the two quotes below.
semplerfi wrote:QC (quality control) and QA (quality assurance) monitoring can go a long way in preventing issues from manifesting.

Basic starting premises for discussion & debate.
Nalates wrote:The plan is to take what we gain from these discussions and create a wiki article that has the extracted 'wisdom' gained as rules, guidelines, examples and definitions. The forum will retain the thought process of how we came by our content.
With my minimal communications skills I am not very good at stimulating and moving discussions forward and writing wiki articles. I will take your suggestion (TY) and purpose a topic point of:

The title of this discussion is: “Importance of QA & QC as a Best Practice”.

I feel we have already determined that there is wisdom in the importance of having some form of QA & QC. The key to developing QA & QC is to first have a defined ideology of some form and then QA & QC to monitor the application of and maintenance of that ideology.

In my opinion it is common sense and a “no brainer”. Is there any need for more discussion here?

That being said the development and application of this “QA & QC” would need to be discussed at length in an appropriately structured discussion.

I would like to purpose having an “Ideology established" as part of the list of Best Practices. From there the QA & QC and other aspects can be developed.

I would like to purpose a section devoted to “Best Practices”. If there is one buried in here sorry I could not identify it. Then again maybe this whole website is about a fair amount of “Best Practices”.

Would anybody suggest posting some of these proposals in the Suggests forum?

[personal note]
What prompted me for this discussion was my concern and perceived lack of QA & QC as “Best Practices” in another situation. I had not thought much about what it takes just to have a QA program in place. I can see more of the forest now than just the few trees I was focusing on. Thank you all for your participation here. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. 8-)

Return to “Standards For Discussion & Debate”