Thinking about infrastructure

Open: Building Myst/Uru-style worlds and games on the OpenSim Hypergrid

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Mac_Fife

Re: Thinking about infrastructure

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've split the posts that followed here on using Categories in the Wiki to a new thread.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Are we ready to open a Hypergrid Project?

We are going to see more interst in general...
Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:3. Interop will become a reality. Don’t expect miracles before the year’s end [2010], though. Starting just after June 2010, when the interoperability communication protocol among grids becomes an Internet standard, LL will work together with at least IBM and Intel (and possibly some large OpenSim grid co-location services — which will exclude most of the OpenSim grids people usually talk about) to allow Gold Grid Providers full interoperability with Second Life Grid. This will probably happen in a very controlled environment and involve even more complex contracts than most people expect, but it will finally allow you to shop in SL and teleport to a third-party grid with the full content — without having a single intellectual property issue. (Yes, it means that all content in SL will have an “interoperability flag” on it too.)
Reference
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Post by Dot »

Yes. Let's do it.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Here is a draft application. I simplified it some. I’ve thought about some of Dot’s suggestions. We could put some of the sub-forums in other sections. I put these together because I think (or imagine) the content for Hypergrid would different than for the Plasma based sections. The role play is something that will likely be the same across all universes. I’m not sure if it is more a single project or a subject related tightly to each age… I can see it both ways.

Whatever, feel free to make changes to this:

Project Application
Project ID: Myst-Uru Hypergrid Project
Description: A project for those interested in building Myst style builds/ages in the wider Virtual Worlds universe, i.e., Team Fortress, Hypergrid (Second Life, THERE, Open Simulator and Blue Mars), and other non-Plasma-MOUL related systems. Participants agree to respect Cyan Worlds, Inc. copyrights to the Myst series of games.
Project Leaders & Managers: Dot, Nalates, Tai'lahr (?) and others as interest developers. (Mac & JW are welcome)
Project Members: Open membership

Resources
Forum Section:
Projects and Proposals – Myst-Uru Style Hypergrid & Open Simulator Project

Description: This forum is for those interested in building Myst-Uru style worlds and games in other universes that use engines and server software other than the coming Cyan open source. This includes but is not limited to Team Fortress, the Hypergrid (OSGrid, Second Life, THERE, Blue Mars), and others. While this is a likely an interim project while we wait for Cyan’s release of open source, the project will remain open for those that prefer to play in their chosen worlds/systems. When building Myst-Uru style ages/regions/worlds there is a matter of Cyan Worlds, Inc. copyrights. Participation here requires respect for those rights. Joining this project is and agreement to respect personal property, intellectual and other. Those heading up projects in other universes are welcome to request subsections here or start their own Myst-Uru projects if they feel they are large enough to warn a separate project.

Membership: Open – requires project join
Visibility: Public
Posting: Project members
Sub-Forums: Worlds Index, Hypergrid & Second Life, Myst-Uru Style Story, Modeling Animation & Programming, Grid Hosting, Financial Resources, Client & Server Software

Wiki Section: Myst-Uru Style Hypergrid & Open Simulator Documentation (I do long names for the search engines)
No subdomains needed
No bug tracking… I think that would be handled in the respective open source projects.

In Members I put a '?' behind Tai'lahr's name because I have not asked if she wanted to volunteer or take any responsibility beyond what she volunteered to do.

Worlds Index (ok lame name) is the resource list of Myst-Uru style worlds Tai'lahr was volunteering to help with. Since Tai'Lahr is volunteering to do much of the work for the resource, she may want to name it.

Modeling is likely to become much more similar this year. Both Plasma/MOUL, BM and Hypergrid will be using Blender made meshes. However, the export of the meshes to the target world is likely to be very different (think SL Sculpties). While the texture work in Blender is similar for all the applications the use of bump maps, and how texture is imported and applied is different. Animation in most of the universes is different too as is programming. I suspect we may develop sub-topics inside this sub-forum. Whether we do or not, I think it will be different than for Plasma/MOUL.

When thinking about hosting... to fit with what JWP is thinking... it may need its own project or section of services/resources. I do think we will need something for this part of the discussion now.

When I went looking for the application process, I found it very difficult to find. We should consider making it easier to find. May be a sticky in Projects & Proposals.
Nalates
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Gah, y'all move fast. And, often speak in technobabble beyond my ability to comprehend. <attempts to wipe glaze from eyeballs> Yes, I would like to participate in the project (to the best of my ability). I will try out Mac's sample wiki page and learn all I can, but may need some assistance. My forte is networking - finding talented members of the community and directing them here and/or providing a link to wherever they have their projects.
Nalates wrote: Worlds Index (ok lame name) is the resource list of Myst-Uru style worlds Tai'lahr was volunteering to help with. Since Tai'Lahr is volunteering to do much of the work for the resource, she may want to name it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "worlds." My thought was a list of projects that could be anything Myst-Uru related - from complete worlds to bits and pieces. And, in categories that include textures, music, written stories, puzzles, etc. The main point would be to demonstrate the community member's talent in a particular area. The idea being that people could contact each other to pool their talents on different projects. So, with that in mind, what sounds like a good name for this section?
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I support your concept of what the section should be. I tend to think of it as a list of places, ages, or whatever we call them. Don't let my thinking limit you. Pick a name that you feel works. Consider what people might search for when looking for the information. If that can be part of the name, excellent. If not, its no big thing.
Nalates
Dot

Post by Dot »

I must admit I was thinking along the same lines as Nalates, that it would be a list of areas/ages/builds/projects, rather than a pointer to individuals.

There are already some skills lists on the GoW site, for example, for Uru:CC type projects. I'd post a link to it if the GoW site were working!

Edit: Here's the GoW list: http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/Form ... oject_Team
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I think Tai'lahr intended the list to be more about places, resources and contacts. I see a need for that. If I wanted to know something about New Devokan and found out about it here, and realized you were a creator and participated here, I would tend to join and PM you here... otherwise I would have to track you down.

It she lists the forum those participating in a build use, they might ask questions in the forum. That would get more information out for others... If I chase you down in world, the Q & A is unlikely to make it out to a forum.

Whatever, since she is doing the work, I just a helper... :)
Nalates
Dot

Post by Dot »

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Apologies for the double post, but I'd like to say that Nalates' proposal looks good to me.

I'd suggest using 'Hypergrid' as the short ID title for the project, thinking of it in its wider sense.

Given the increasing chatter about OSgrid and similar worlds among the SL D'ni Refugees, it will help to have a friendly place to point them to when they encounter difficulties such as avies changing gender unexpectedly.

Return to “Myst/Uru-Style Hypergrid & Open Simulators”