Thinking about infrastructure

Open: Building Myst/Uru-style worlds and games on the OpenSim Hypergrid

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

JWPlatt

Re: Thinking about infrastructure

Post by JWPlatt »

Double posts do no damage when you're not a spammer. The trouble with security is it makes life harder for honest people. So if you're a good person, feel free to post at will. ;)

Ok, Dot, I got the go-ahead in your PM. Thanks! I'll get that up soon. Maybe today. Maybe as late as the weekend. I would think you want this thread moved there?
Perfect speed is being there.
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Okay, Nalates has poked at me to come up with a name for my list of projects.

I looked at the GoW skills list page, Forming_An_Age_Project_Team and, yes, it is serving the same purpose as my suggestion. However, I'm coming at it from the opposite direction. In the GoW list, you must do a lot digging to find examples of each person's work (and not everyone has examples to show). My list would be links directly to examples of work - from a few pictures or texture samples on a webpage to a whole sim in Second Life - and include a list of all the project's contributors, noting their contribution - a credits list, basically. Also, the GoW list is strictly voluntary sign up whereas I will be actively seeking projects to add to my list.

I also checked the rel.to site to see what was listed there, but only one age, Ahra Pahts is listed under Ages & Development – which focuses more on resources for developers (still, a handy link to have).
Nalates wrote:I think Tai'lahr intended the list to be more about places, resources and contacts. I see a need for that. If I wanted to know something about New Devokan and found out about it here, and realized you were a creator and participated here, I would tend to join and PM you here... otherwise I would have to track you down.

It she lists the forum those participating in a build use, they might ask questions in the forum. That would get more information out for others... If I chase you down in world, the Q & A is unlikely to make it out to a forum.
Exactly! My list would be heavy on projects in “other” virtual worlds (as opposed to ages created specifically for Uru and the Plasma engine), but I might also list other projects which I feel demonstrate talent, but may be overlooked elsewhere, such as Norfren’s Surprise in Minkata.

So, how about "Myst-Uru Inspired Builds (and Building Blocks)"?
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks, JW!

Tai'lahr: This sounds like a very useful multi-purpose list. Would you include slurls where relevant?

I loved Norfren's Surprise in Minkarta -- it was so well done.

'Myst-Uru Inspired ...': 'Style' is shorter and matches the names proposed for the overall project, but 'Inspired' possibly gives indirect credit to Cyan (we're not just copying the style; we're inspired by it to try to create something more).
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Tai & Dot, you both have good ideas and points.

I would like to see Myst-Uru and Hypergrid in the title just for search placement. To serve your purpose and search placement the titles I think of get a little long... Tai'lahr since you have to live with it more than I... go with what you like... :) Also, your idea is more INCLUSIVE than what I was thinking, which is good. So, hypergrid might be limiting and inappropriate for your resource.

I think Mac_Fife made you a stem page in the wiki. As I think about the title I suggested for the wiki section, I think it may be better to shorten the main page's reference to the section as Myst-Uru Style/Inspired Information (or Documentation). From an intermediate page we can reference Tai's list and branch of to other related pages. That way we can go into Hypergrid, Team Fortress, Blue Mars and whatever else we find. So, the wiki fits will with how I think of the organization of the information.

In the forum... I think my planing is not fitting well with JWP's ideas of organizing the forum. I think I'm not seeing some of the organization because I've not needed to use it that much. So, JWP, take my application as how I see it and modify it to work with your planning. I think you can see what I'm thinking. If something doesn't work, we'll work something out.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

Dot wrote:Tai'lahr: This sounds like a very useful multi-purpose list. Would you include slurls where relevant?
Actually, that was my original thinking - just a list of urls & slurls buried in project titles, each followed with a brief description (just enough to get them to follow the link). Although the idea has expanded a bit, it's still the basis. For anything with a slurl, I will include a notation about needing a SL or other viewer to visit the location. At that point, I hope to be able to provide a link to Nalates' research on the various options for viewers.
Dot wrote:'Myst-Uru Inspired ...': 'Style' is shorter and matches the names proposed for the overall project, but 'Inspired' possibly gives indirect credit to Cyan (we're not just copying the style; we're inspired by it to try to create something more).
To me, "Style" is subjective and “Inspired” leaves more wiggle room.
Nalates wrote:I would like to see Myst-Uru and Hypergrid in the title just for search placement. To serve your purpose and search placement the titles I think of get a little long... <snip> Also, your idea is more INCLUSIVE than what I was thinking, which is good. So, hypergrid might be limiting and inappropriate for your resource.
Actually, I think "Hypergrid" is appropriate for my project. Yes, my list will be pretty inclusive and that might make it appear directionless or too vague, so let me explain my thinking and clarify my intentions. My main goal is to seek out and pinpoint talent which could be useful in creating our own Uru Community grid. If it benefits other grid projects along the way or Uru itself in the end, that’s great, and could be considered a secondary goal. Two examples to consider: 1) Norfren’s Surprise in Minkata is Myst-Uru inspired and not on the hypergird, but demonstrates talents which might be useful there. 2) Kerryth’s clothes in SL are on the hypergird, though not Myst-Uru inspired (with the exception of one K'veer window t-shirt), but IMO, she’s the community’s best clothing creator and I would definitely want her participation in an Uru grid.
Nalates wrote:I think Mac_Fife made you a stem page in the wiki.
Is this my stem page? - Where I should start building this list?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Tai'lahr wrote:
Nalates wrote:I think Mac_Fife made you a stem page in the wiki.
Is this my stem page? - Where I should start building this list?
No, that's your "User" page ;)

The page Nalates was referring to is Projects and Resources. At the moment JW and I are using that as part of a test bed for playing with my webpage automation scripts, but I guess we should maybe go play elsewhere :lol:.

There's nothing stopping you from using the User page to begin with though - it's actually probably quite a good place to experiment anyway. It's not too public, so you don't feel so embarassed if thing don't work out as you planned at first. Once you think you've got something useful, then it's easy enough to copy material into the "right" place. It might be handy to see what you start to come up with - that might help give a steer on the best way to go about structuring the final product.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Tai'lahr

Post by Tai'lahr »

/startrant * grumble grumble grumble... all I wanted to do was create a simple list... now I have to learn to wiki... join user groups... confirm e-mail address... decode state secrets... no time... sheesh, the research alone will take up a lot of my time... and I really should be working on my other list - the one for RL projects... grumble grumble grumble * /endrant

Okay, hopefully, it's out of my system, now and I can buckle down and learn what I need to know to create this list. ;)

Question: I would like to create a thread with a simple post explaining the project (just my part of the project) - where I can point people to read about the purpose of the list and even post suggestions for me to follow up on. Where would be a good place to do that? Or, should I wait until the project has been formalized and a new section created?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Threads can be moved ;) . I'd say create the thread in Open Forums -> Suggestions for now. If it does get moved, any links that point to the thread will remain valid, so you don't need to worry about things breaking if has to go elsewhere later.

You can do a lot of the discussion and compilation of the material you want in the forums, and it can be consolidated in the wiki at a later date. That's the way I have always seen the forum and the wiki interacting - the forums are where the discussion and thrashing out of ideas takes place and the wiki is where you distill the results of the discussion into a coherent (hopefully) article.

I'll help with the wiki stuff when it comes to that stage - We won't leave you floundering! :)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I did some forum work just now for the project, but they won't be available until I can complete it a little later today.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Tai'lahr wrote:/startrant * grumble grumble grumble... all I wanted to do was create a simple list... now I have to learn to wiki... join user groups... confirm e-mail address... decode state secrets... no time... sheesh, the research alone will take up a lot of my time... and I really should be working on my other list - the one for RL projects... grumble grumble grumble * /endrant

Okay, hopefully, it's out of my system, now and I can buckle down and learn what I need to know to create this list. ;)

Question: I would like to create a thread with a simple post explaining the project (just my part of the project) - where I can point people to read about the purpose of the list and even post suggestions for me to follow up on. Where would be a good place to do that? Or, should I wait until the project has been formalized and a new section created?
:lol: Yeah... I can empathize.

I suggest you keep with your original ideas. If some of our suggestions seem good to you and you want to add them to your project great. Make sure this stays something you want to do.

If you have a forum thread going, others can help you with the wiki. Also, the wiki is not all that bad for general writing. It is different in that the markup is different, but like the forum editor, it has buttons for many of the things you need to do.

If you create an Opening Post, you can edit and add to it. Something like what Arctic Wagon does with Important Threads at MOUL. Others can use that OP for material to be added to the wiki. Meaning others can add as they have time and motivation.

As to waiting... ummmm... its easy to move posts. So, I think waiting or not is up to you. JWP was going to have the project sections set this weekend. Unless something comes up for him, we should see it by Sunday some time.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Myst/Uru-Style Hypergrid & Open Simulators”