Lost Post Reassembly Comments

Open: Building Myst/Uru-style worlds and games on the OpenSim Hypergrid

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

JWPlatt

Lost Post Reassembly Thread (Old Posts Only)

Post by JWPlatt »

Because most of the posts came from activity from those in this project, let's start the reassembly thread here.

Edit: There were a lot more than I even remembered! I did some quick emoticon, color, url and other repairs. I know I didn't get everything so look them over and edit as necessary. I skipped obvious duplicates but I might have missed a couple.

Now we'll see if there's any more, or if you folks remember more.

I'm going to create another thread for commentary on this thread so that we don't get confused over what's old and what's new.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Lost Post Reassembly Comments

Post by JWPlatt »

Please use this thread for commentary about the Lost Post Reassembly thread so that we do not get confused about what's old and what's new in that thread.

There were a lot more than I even remembered! I did some quick emoticon, color, url and other repairs. I know I didn't get everything so look them over and project managers can mod edit as necessary. I skipped obvious duplicates but I might have missed a couple.

Now we'll see if there's any more, or if you folks remember more.
Dot

Re: Lost Post Reassembly Comments

Post by Dot »

Thank you so much for recovering and working on all this. :)

Is the idea that we edit the lost post thread first, then (when satisfied) move the individual posts back into their correct place? Sorry if I'm being dense!

====
Edit: I've checked through all my posts and added format tags where needed (including one self-indulgent colour change). So they are good to go.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, that's the idea, Dot. I posted them in bottom-up order from Christian's html page to get them chronological in the thread, so they probably could simply be moved after cleanup - in the proper order and to their correct threads. I think we should leave the date code headers in there so we at least document the original date of the post.

I still have to look at the SQL dump to see what more there might be. If there is more there, we'll have to edit/copy each receovered post and post it as a new post, one by one.

We need to be sure it's all done before starting the move. In the meantime, if any of your finished subforum preamble text is there to repost, you could just go ahead and get that done anyway so I can open up the forums for you to get that started without waiting for the recovery. The preamble posts were just single, locked posts anyway.

Edit later: A very quick glance at the SQL backup provided by Christian suggests it contains all the same info as what already has come from the html. So we are likely done when we get the current reassembly thread all prettied up. Then I'll distribute the posts to their proper place.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Yes, there shouldn’t be more data in the SQL than in the HTML page. It’s just more machine-readable, and the HTML text formatting of the posts is likely to be closer to the original since it didn’t go through the copy-and-paste-as-rich-text-then-save-as-HTML-again mangling.
Dot

Post by Dot »

JWPlatt wrote:In the meantime, if any of your finished subforum preamble text is there to repost, you could just go ahead and get that done anyway so I can open up the forums for you to get that started without waiting for the recovery.
I've done the preamble for Myst/Uru-style story, and edited the thread title of the original discussion thread to make its purpose clear.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The recovered posts are cleaned up with any missing extras I found they needed and they are assigned to their original authors. I preserved the original post dates in a special note at the top of each post so that information would not be lost.

I'm looking through the internal links in all the posts now. There aren't many, but one I can't find is " IC/OOC confusion: how to deal with it? (OOC)". Is it still here, or lost? If lost, do you know it well enough to recreate it?

It is mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?p=2549#p2549
It seems to have grown out of discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=293

If the authors of recovered posts would please give your all-clear, I'll get to moving them to their original threads.

Thanks.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I'm confused... that is normal... :oops: You have my permission. I'll try to figure out what I need to do. But, please do not wait on me. I want very much to get the section on Hypergrid open.

Edit: I deleted a post and noted the MOULagain post is out of date and can be dropped. See colored not I put in it. I couldn't tell if others had finished with their posts. I did not try to move any because I can see is a move topic option.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks, and okay, but what is your confusion?
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

:lol: ...reading this thread first... then finding the restored posts thread...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Myst/Uru-Style Hypergrid & Open Simulators”