Purpose of Worlds Index -- discussion

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Nalates

Purpose of Worlds Index -- discussion

Post by Nalates »

This is really Tai'lahr's to write... I tend to be impatient, sorry. So, I'll write a quick intro & purpose and Tai'lahr can write hers and I'll remove this one. I hope to get this entire section live ASAP. :)

Tai'lahr has an idea for what she wants this to be. I'm fuzzy on what this will ultimately be and look like. However, the idea is this will be a list of worlds Myst-Uru fans are building. Where they are and how to get there is part of what this thread is about. It is less of a 'how to' and more of here are the links to the world and instructions... I think.
Last edited by Dot on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added 'discussion' to title to clarify the thread's purpose, and turned it to a sticky thread
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
JWPlatt

Re: Purpose of Worlds Index

Post by JWPlatt »

I only put the people from the application (Dot, Nalates, and Mac_Fife) on the managers usergroup. Please put Tai' on it too so she can see these sections.
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Given this is potentially a very useful project, could we perhaps continue with it, if necessary in a simplified form?

Tai's posts here and here outline the key points (extracted here for reference):
My list would be links directly to examples of work -- from a few pictures or texture samples on a webpage to a whole sim in Second Life -- and include a list of all the project's contributors, noting their contribution -- a credits list, basically. [...]

For anything with a slurl, I will include a notation about needing a SL or other viewer to visit the location. At that point, I hope to be able to provide a link to Nalates' research on the various options for viewers. [...]

My main goal is to seek out and pinpoint talent which could be useful in creating our own Uru Community grid. If it benefits other grid projects along the way or Uru itself in the end, that’s great, and could be considered a secondary goal.
One way forward might be to have a thread for each of the main worlds on the Hypergrid, and to invite people to post about what they find, one item per post. If we set up a basic template for such posts, it should be straightforward to extract the needed information.

I'm sure that the D'ni Voice would be happy to publicise efforts here in SL -- and elsewhere on the Hypergrid (now that it has its own blog).
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Works for me.

Start with OS Devokan. :D

I plan to write something for this section of the forum for The Voice. Hopefully to get SL folks to add their information.
Nalates
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

If you want to limit posts only to threads that you create, it can be done.
Dot

Post by Dot »

JWPlatt wrote:If you want to limit posts only to threads that you create, it can be done.
That sounds complicated and technical. Can't cope with complicated and technical -- things get deleted that shouldn't. :|

I was thinking more of suggesting a format for such information, where people can copy the original post and fill in the blanks -- a bit like the project proposal form.

Once information is supplied in the various threads, it should be possible to trawl through them and summarise the facts in a Wiki page.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I could create a PHP form that people could fill in that would populate a database, and a web page to fetch the results. Wouldn't take that long to do, I've got 90% of the code written for something else I was doing ;) .
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Dot wrote:That sounds complicated and technical.
No, it's built into the permission structure that's been set up here. Until you join yourself to the Memebrs group, for example, you can only reply to - not create - topics. Same thing. But it sounds like maybe you're going in a different direction, so it's up to you.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

The forum sounds good for getting some uniformity. On the other hand, I'm not sure how to get it out where people can find it. If it isn't in their face, I'm not sure it will get used.

Forums, at least in my mind, are more of a place for making statements than a research tool. People just post.It would never occur to me that there was a format to posting something. I suppose the OP could have a layout for a format or a link to a form.
Nalates
Dot

Post by Dot »

MacFife's suggestion, then, might be the way to go. If it is straightforward to use the form (not too many boxes to fill in; drop-down menus to select common responses; free-format box for additional info if needed), it means we wouldn't need to manually make a web page or remember to keep checking the thread in case something new has been announced.

Perhaps we should be discussing this in a new thread, and work out what fields are needed for the form or, indeed, the forum template.

Return to “Worlds Index”