Virtual Worlds Future

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Nalates

Virtual Worlds Future

Post by Nalates »

I am continuously curious as to what makes games popular and attracts players. In following news about VW's I came across this article. It is some what about Facebook type verses Second Life type ...games... and virtual worlds.

Are virtual worlds over? by Ralph Koster.

While this probably is more pertinent to SL and OS grid worlds, I do think it as some value for Open Uru.

I think the current flat worlds, like Farmville, are part of the progression to 3D and more immersive worlds for the population at large. The early adopters, those of us in game worlds, are seeing the road from a different perspective. I think the movie Avatar and the current popularity of Capirca show an interest in 3D entertainment and a fascination with avatars for play and personal identity exploration. Whatever the case, time will tell. How does Uru fit in the map and where will those developing open source Uru choose to take it?
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Nalates

Re: Virtual Worlds Future

Post by Nalates »

Blue Mars
New World Notes (NWN) is a blog reporting on events in various virtual worlds. Much of its focus has been Second Life. Now the author, Hamlet, is taking a position with Blue Mars.

Hamlet explains his thinking about Blue Mars and why he thinks it is an up and coming virtual world that feeds into the coming 3DWeb.

See: Why I Think Blue Mars is Important to the Future of 3D Worlds -- and Why I’m Joining the Blue Mars Team Today

I see Blue Mars as functionally very similar to MOULa, how it is built, currently run on computers, ages/worlds are downloaded, and more. Their plan to move Blue Mars to cloud based servers and server side rendering for delivery to thin clients is interesting. That Cyan has been placing more emphasis on iPhone apps makes for an interesting consideration of whether they would consider following the same route.

OpenSim 500+ Avatars per Region
NWN also had an article about Intel modifying their Science SIM (a version of OpenSim) to handle 500+ avatars in a single region. The previous limit is about 80 avatars.

See: Intel Scales OpenSim to Handle 500+ Avatars in a Region!

Linden Lab, SL's owner, is planning something similar for Second Life. I'm expecting it to be some time before we see these changes in either SL or OpenSim. But they are working with large numbers of avatars in alpha and beta software now, i.e., Blue Mars.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Hypergrid & Second Life”