Broken Mercurial Links

Useful Information About OpenUru.org & Projects (Plus HOWTO: Post On Forums)

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

J'Kla

Broken Mercurial Links

Post by J'Kla »

I am looking to build a MOSS server and went to the Wiki page.

Very early on there is a link to the "Quick Start Guide" for Mercurial this is a broken link as it responds with murcurial.selenic.com Site cannot be reached.

Now I went digging and found selenic.com but lets face it I want to build a MOSS server not learn how to use Mercurial how about some simple instructions. ;)
JWPlatt

Re: Broken Mercurial Links

Post by JWPlatt »

Link to page with link, please?

I may have included those links in the wiki, if it was indeed me, just to give people a background in repositories, because it's good to have. But no, I wouldn't expect anyone to be required to learn such arcanery when there are better tools to bypass it. Having said that...

Personally, I haven't used CLI tools since DOS and a miniscule smattering when I'm forced to on Linux systems. I don't use Git or Mercurial. I used SourceTree, which itself uses Git and Mercurial. Life is too short to waste time on learning arcanery when a simple button push on a GUI will achieve the same thing. I equate religious adherence to the CLI with survivalists in their bunkers. You never know when the world will end and you need a CLI.

;)

Contrary opinions anticipated...
Perfect speed is being there.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yep, not a single mention of SourceTree. I'll see about fixing that in the article.

The Quick Start Guide seems to be here now:
https://www.mercurial-scm.org/quickstart

Or, my preference, try SourceTrees instead:
https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

You don't need to know much just to basically get the download. However, you should be well familiar with the principles of the repository you are using before contributing changes, even when using a GUI.
Perfect speed is being there.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

If you don't intend to do your own development on it, it’s probably easier to download the source from Bitbucket (which is up to date with the Foundry) rather than learn Mercurial (with or without GUI):
https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/moss/downloads/
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

I am not sure I am going down the Mercurial route I just wanted you to know there was a broken link.

Return to “General Information”