Moss build questions

Useful Information About OpenUru.org & Projects (Plus HOWTO: Post On Forums)

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

J'Kla

Re: Moss build questions

Post by J'Kla »

Meanwhile back at the install the cmake line looks like it is not working

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt//dirtsand

it is telling me "/opt/dirtsand does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt"

make && sudo make install

falls flat I believe this is because it can't find the libreadline library as this did not run and I followed the suggestion and used libreadline-dev the make line is telling me "no target specified and no makefile found. Stop. " with a suggestion in the guide notes that it may be something to do with missing libraries and that I can use the CMake GUI to find them but this is command line stuff there is no CMake GUI. And I do realise the fault may be in the command.
rarified

Post by rarified »

J'Kla wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:42 am ...
I hope everyone can see my desire to make shard building as idiot proof as possible and to that end I am more than prepared to be the duty idiot. ;)
It would be great to get to that point, but unfortunately we will have to take incremental steps before climbing the cliffs.

I appreciate the frustration you're experiencing -- MOSS never got the chance to mature into a turn-key open source project.

Here is what I can do in the near term:
  • I'll read the wiki instructions this afternoon (it has been a long time since I looked at them.
  • I am myself in the process of constructing a new build of MOSS with the current tools I have. MOSS on the Foundry was last built in 2012, and there have been many bug fixes to the packages used by MOSS, so it is taking a while. But I think there will be a need to instrument MOSS as well as the client when debugging fan content so I consider it a necessary investment.
  • Since my rebuild will be on Solaris, I will try to do a parallel installation on a current Ubuntu virtual machine to note what the differences are.
  • I will post most of my observations here, and let you (and others) try to follow the process and come up with some drafts of improvements to the wiki.
Sound like an acceptable plan at this point?
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

Please don't take my posts as impatience or frustration it's just I have some time and I am posting as soon as I find out stuff.

I just figure the more I dig the better the chance of ending up with a good installation method.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

J'Kla wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:56 pm Meanwhile back at the install the cmake line looks like it is not working

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt//dirtsand

it is telling me "/opt/dirtsand does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt"
I am unable to fathom why there is a reference to Dirtsand in a MOSS build. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

Sorry JW

If you read back through the thread I was getting nowhere with the MOSS so I backtracked and started looking at the Dirtsand route as it had documentation that was not down broken links. The only documentation I was able to access via the MOSS route appeared to be targeted at the Studio 3DMax end of things.

To be fair the thread should probably read "Shard build questions" :( I have tried renaming threads in the past and only to find a broken thread.

I had been advised that the best route for a home shard was the MOSS solution but that appeared erroneous.

Either way if I can find a method for building a shard by either method the solutions should apply to both MOSS and Dirtsand as there appears to be a large degree of overlap. I am not just asking here. ;)

It is also worth considering that MOSS and Dirtsand are not actually that different and a fix for one is probably going to be a fix for both. :)
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

MOSS will run on the latest Postgresql. I am currently using 9.6.

Rarified and others have posted solutions on how to do this in the MOSS forum.

edit:

I am curious. For what purpose are you wanting to build a shard? If you are wanting to develop ages and such, you may have better luck with a Dirtsand server since that is a GoW project and, if I am not mistaken, the GoW is where all the fan age development takes place.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

Ok after some serious hand to hand combat I have a method that allows me and noob's like me to build a LAN accessible dirtsand shard for detail please follow this link https://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewto ... 7&start=40

I am now going to visit the MOSS instructions to see if my exploration brings any enlightenment.

Note while my primary goal has been a shard for testing my fan constructed endeavors I was also looking for a way to have a shard that ran on a LAN without the need for a network connection beyond the building phase.

There are places where I know of some users that may benefit from a closed small shared environment but where connections to the wider internet would add overheads to an already limited connection.

I also know of one place that is so far off the grid cell phone access is limited to voice and intermittent text. Even e-mail is flaky. :(
Korovev

Post by Korovev »

cjkelly1 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:34 pmI am curious. For what purpose are you wanting to build a shard?
Counter-question: why is MOSS freely available, if one should justify its use?
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Minkata #132812, Gehn #137074.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Maybe not a question of wanting a "justification" but trying to understand the objective in order to identify what help might be most beneficial.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

Why?

Multiple reasons

Testing Blender Korman output.

Building an off line multi user shard using a network based on LAN.

Return to “General Information”