Moss build questions

Useful Information About OpenUru.org & Projects (Plus HOWTO: Post On Forums)

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

J'Kla

Moss build questions

Post by J'Kla »

I am following the detailed instructions I found here.

http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... structions

I am using a current Ubuntu Server install on a Salvage 64bit PC

I was running well till I hit the command

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev postgresql postgresql-server-dev-8.4 libpqxx-dev g++ autoconf automake libtool

So I split this down to individual installs

The only one that failed was

postgresql-server-dev-8.4

I was able to get postgresql-server-dev-all

To work obviously the following service call also fails

sudo service postgresql-8.4 restart

Because this is not version 8.4

sudo service postgresql-all restart

also fails because I believe we need the version number

Any suggestions?
J'Kla

Re: Moss build questions

Post by J'Kla »

I was digging around and found the following on a forum for Ubuntu.

Installing PostgreSQL using APT

By default, Ubuntu includes PostgreSQL in the base APT repositories. This means that installing Postgres will be a cinch.

1. Log into your server via SSH.

2. Access root by running the following command:

sudo su -

3. To install PostgreSQL, as well as the necessary server software, run the following command:

apt-get install postgresql postgresql-contrib

4. Configure PostgreSQL to start up upon server boot.

update-rc.d postgresql enable

5. Start PostgreSQL.

service postgresql start

Connecting to PostgreSQL By default, PostgreSQL sets up the user and database “postgres” upon a new installation. We interact with the postgres database software through an interface called “psql.”

1. Log into the postgres user:

su - postgres

2. This will bring you to a new prompt. Log into the database by typing:

psql

3. You should now see a prompt for postgres=#. This means you are at a PostgreSQL prompt. To exit the interface, you can type:

\q

From there, you can get back to root by typing:

exit

I am going to see how this fits in with the installation instructions I pointed at in the previous post but it does look like this does the "service postgres start" bit so I should at least be closer.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

OK as you can see I have postgresql but I have ground to a halt.

In the wiki an link that is supposed to lead to setup instructions.

http://foundry.openuru.org/fisheye/brow ... /doc/setup

This ends in a Object not found.

The link for http://assets.openuru.org/cyan/Scripts.zip.

Is broken and gives a page 404 error.

The compiled python zip downloads but there are no instructions on how to use these files.

There are some MOSS notes but these appear to support an already installed MOSS shard.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Sorry about the broken link to Scripts.zip. That filename was changed to Scripts893.zip (the original) and its updated version Scripts902.zip.

Both can be found here:
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _And_Tools

I'll fix the link after I get some guidance on which is the correct one to use for MOSS setup.

I see there is also a reference to AuthFiles/893 in the setup. I have to wonder if the page needs more changes for 902.

As far as Fisheye goes, I think that had to go down when we ran into some challenges with RAD Tools and needed to purge some history. Fisheye may be waiting for resurrection, though maybe we can get the documentation out of it.
Perfect speed is being there.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

OK I went for a quick look and initially that all looks like its about the 3D Max end of things and not the MOSS server side.

None of that appears to be detail on MOSS server setup which is the stuff I am looking for.

Is there anybody out there who has actually done this, someone who could answer my questions please.

Once I have been down the rabbit hole I promise I WILL write a Noob guide. ;)

At this time I was trying to build the MOSS server as that had been the route I had been recommended. I have gone back a step and I am looking at Dirtsand via the Guild of writers wiki which appears (at this time) to be fairly well documented.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

J'Kla wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 pm http://foundry.openuru.org/fisheye/brow ... /doc/setup

This ends in a Object not found.
You can substitute https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/moss/ ... /doc/setup for that link, or, since you have downloaded the files already, just read it from your hard drive.

I can’t give definite answers to your other questions (which is why I have been silent so far), but some vague thoughts:
  • I don’t think you should be using the original Cyan release of auth and game files (Python, .age, .sdl etc.), these need to be matched to the client and content versions you are going to use. Current ones are at https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/moulscript-ou and https://github.com/H-uru/moul-scripts/.
  • I don’t know if MOSS works with newer versions of PostgreSQL, you’ll have to try it, or in the worst case go back to an Ubuntu release that still has 8.4.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Christian Walther wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am ...
  • I don’t know if MOSS works with newer versions of PostgreSQL, you’ll have to try it, or in the worst case go back to an Ubuntu release that still has 8.4.
Minkata is still running PostgreSQL 8.3 -- I think I made an attempt at 8.4 but it might have wanted a recompilation of the existing MOSS server which I wasn't ready to spend the time on.

JW is correct about the Fisheye link -- I disabled it after we had to excise Bink code from the Open Source material. Restoring it has been on my to-do list for several years, but requires a bit of hand waving/SQL magic to move the existing commentary over to the new repository without Bink. And it has taken a back seat to the task of getting the fan content pipe working.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

J'Kla wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 am OK I went for a quick look and initially that all looks like its about the 3D Max end of things and not the MOSS server side.
Yes, the page isn't what you needed, but the link to the Scripts.zip file you wanted is there. However, I have since fixed the link on the wiki MOSS Setup page.

I think we need to ask the tough question: "Can MOSS be built today using the wiki instructions?" If not, they need to get fixed and the process made easier. An endless series of problems that require the user to have more knowledge than simply how to follow instructions will ultimately end in a nonviable server.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

A’moca’ asked me early on to write an all-in-one installation script which I started on but never found time to finish.

I have not looked at the current Wiki instructions but if it will help I’ll carve out some time for reviewing it. Because Minkata runs on Solaris (the Sun Microsystems version of Unix) what I had to do is probably significantly different than setting it up on Linux or Windows.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
J'Kla

Post by J'Kla »

I don't really want a script that does everything.

I have a reasonable 64bit PC and want concise instructions to build a shard that I can access over a home network.

I don't care what flavor of Linux I need to install as long as it is one I can easily access.

Even older versions are still out there.

However I would much rather end up at a stage where I have learned something about the shard/server I have built rather than I just ran some script.

I understand that if you have a script you can end up with a viable server. If you do it manually at least you have a chance as I did of observing which parts are not working.

It was the result of me breaking down the multi install line (Not even a script).

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev postgresql postgresql-server-dev-8.4 libpqxx-dev g++ autoconf automake libtool

That led me to find out that the problem lay in the postgresql-server-dev-8.4 part.

If building the server is a script that does everything if some part of it fails we then need someone who can read and understand the script to even have a hope of finding the fault.

It sounds almost silly that putting a link to some instructions in another place is inviting that link to fail.

I know that there is a script out there that builds the postgresql dbase structure but I would really like to know what that structure is and a fully commented breakdown would be nice.

None of this is compulsory. It is just really a wish list.

I know there are cleverer people than me that have traveled this road and if I can get a decent road map I will enjoy pointing out the places where my ignorance is not up to following the provided instructions hopefully to a point where other noobs like me can learn the ropes and we can end up with multiple shards.

I don't care how many people out there think I am an idiot because of some aspect of Linux I do not understand. It is a cross I am prepared to bare. I have often said I write idiot guides and they are called idiot guides because I am the idiot. I like to think I can write to the lowest common denominator.

Sometimes it is necessary to tell people where to find the | on the keyboard there was a time when you could not find £ because software written in the US made it a # and it was worth telling people that [Alt]156 on the number pad did the same trick. That trick is still valid. I just re tried it here.

This is back in the lessons that should be learned in coding-101 and that's commenting. It is nice to say just type this but if you know what that is doing share it out so that everyone can follow it. That way we will end up with a host of competent shard builders and Uru will live even longer.

I have printed a hard copy of

https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/moss/ ... ew-default

So I can read it in bed and try and absorb some of the detail.

But there is a classic example copy the link and re past it and it is truncated as it appears here and does not work as a link but follow the original link and copy the address an past that here and the link works.

However put it in code markers and you can see the detail of the address as follows.

Code: Select all

https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/moss/src/default/doc/setup?fileviewer=file-view-default
That was a case in point Christian recommended reading it from my download but the truncation of the link naming made me unsure of what I was looking for and if that link had become a broken link for whatever reason I would have been at another dead end.

I hope everyone can see my desire to make shard building as idiot proof as possible and to that end I am more than prepared to be the duty idiot. ;)

Return to “General Information”