Purpose of Modeling, Animation and Programming Section

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Nalates

Purpose of Modeling, Animation and Programming Section

Post by Nalates »

OpenUru.org has sections primarily about the MO:UL game, client-side and server-side software, and technical issues. This section is for similar topics but in other systems and worlds.

Modeling, Animation and Programming in SL, OS, and other worlds have similarities to those same tasks in the MOUL Plasma environment. However, each has differences, specific advantages and disadvantages, and unique processes.

It is hoped that much of the discussion on this forum will look at these similarities and differences, thereby enabling builders experienced in one world to transfer their knowledge and skills to other arenas and worlds, including a future Open Uru (meaning the Myst Online Open Source Uru and avoiding MOOSU which sounds like some sort of Japanese sushi to be removed) and the Open Uru project.

...changes, additions, etc. to this post are welcome.
Edited 10y-02m-04d: Added Dot's improvements.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Re: Purpose of Modeling, Animation and Programming Section

Post by Dot »

Here's a suggested edited version:

===
OpenUru.org has sections primarily about the MO:UL game, client-side and server-side software, and technical issues. This section is for similar topics but in other systems and worlds.

Modeling, Animation and Programming in SL, OS, and other worlds have similarities to those same tasks in the MOUL Plasma environment. However, each has differences, specific advantages and disadvantages, and unique processes.

It is hoped that much of the discussion on this forum will look these similarities and differences, thereby enabling builders experienced in one world to transfer their knowledge and skills to other arenas and worlds, including a future MOOU (Myst Online Open Uru) and the Open Uru project.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Restored post: Modeling, Animation and Programming • Re: Purpose of Modeling, Animation and Programming Section
Hypergrid 11.2.2010 um 11:11 Dot

Might non-builders post requests for specific help in this section? For example, if the story in Devokan needed a particular prop and the team didn't have all the skills needed to create it, could I post a request here?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Restored post: Modeling, Animation and Programming • Re: Purpose of Modeling, Animation and Programming Section
Hypergrid 11.2.2010 um 21:01 Mac_Fife

Personally, I prefer "Open Source Uru" when referring to the game, simply to try to avoid confusion with references to OpenURU.org.

I'm usually fairly careful to refer to this site as OpenURU.org, but others will inevitably use variations that omit the .org TLD or leave a space between "Open" and "URU".
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

To explain Mac_Fife's post, I now recall I wrote a short request to be consistent with what we call "Open Uru" or "Open Source Uru" - at least here on OpenURU.org. It was in response to Nalates' use of "MOOU". I guess that post was not picked up by the feed, so it didn't get restored. I went on to acknolwedge that everyone has their own favorite acronym, but there's nothing official yet. And if I didn't wink at Nalates' variety of acronyms for it, I should have. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Edit to take account of MacFife's comments, and my request* (and cross-posted with JW):
OpenUru.org has sections primarily about the MOUL game, client-side and server-side software, and technical issues. This section is for similar topics but in other systems and worlds.

Modeling, animation and programming in SL, OS, and other worlds have similarities to those same tasks in the MOUL Plasma environment. However, each has differences, specific advantages and disadvantages, and unique processes.

It is hoped that much of the discussion on this forum will look these similarities and differences, thereby enabling builders experienced in one world to transfer their knowledge and skills to other arenas and worlds, including a future open-source Uru.

This is also the place where requests for help in modeling, animation and programming for Myst/Uru-style projects in other worlds can be posted.
* I think Nal answered in the affirmative, but whether in a lost post or in MOUL or in SL or in OSgrid, I can't remember -- this inter-world time travel business gets very confusing...
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

...and I don't see my post where I agreed the usage should be more consistent... So, yes, I agree we should be more consistent.

I use all sorts of acronyms ... and I think JWP did wink. :)

I'll change the preamble part.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mod note: I've made this a sticky thread so the 'preamble' won't get lost as we start to use this forum.

Return to “Modeling, Animation and Programming”