Devokan Waysmeet (OSgrid): building discussion

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Dot

Devokan Waysmeet (OSgrid): building discussion

Post by Dot »

Devokan Waysmeet is a 256mx256m sim on the OSgrid. Its neighbouring sim is Devokan Deepwater. These two sims are surrounded by open water at sea level.

The plan for Waysmeet is to have three areas, stacked vertically, each with a different building style. These areas are separate 'ages' for the purpose of story.

The first area, at sea level, is the tree village inspired by Channelwood. The main structures are mostly in place, built by Paislee with support by Christian Walther. Further details can be added to this area, in keeping with the established design style.

Underneath the sea bed is a modern underground bunker -- a maze of corridors and stairways. For story purposes this is a GoMa establishment. It is in the process of being built by Dot, using a professionally designed full-perms building kit she bought. It needs sounds: sci-fi drones and hums would be handy as clues for navigation and as background atmosphere.

The bunker will include a modern-looking acrylic portal system to the other OSgrid Devokan areas; Mat designed these. Dot's office will be a corridor away, and will store various journals, manuals and other reference materials. Imagers could show scenes from GoMa inspections of Uru:CC ages, Myst/Uru-style areas in SL, and (if technically feasible and allowable) a cavern-cam display based on Robert the Rebuilder's.

The maze itself is separate and can have three half-levels vertically. The maze route can be changed periodically. It can also be used for games or as a private place to sort out ugly avatars (I'll make sure there are plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in).

A third level, yet to be started and high in the sky, will be the Selenitica region, based roughly on the SL build (think 1930s scifi magazine covers). Quin/Dot will be looking after this one, with support from others (volunteers? suggestions?). Again, the soundscape will be important.
Christian Walther

Re: Devokan Waysmeet (OSgrid): building discussion

Post by Christian Walther »

Dot wrote:The first area, at sea level, is the tree village inspired by Channelwood. The main structures are mostly in place, built by Paislee with support by Christian Walther.
Thanks for the mention, but I think you’re overstating my involvement here. :) My contribution to the Channelwood village was something like one texture, wasn’t it?

I feel I owe you an apology for offering to help with OSgrid Devokan again but not following through. The unexpected opening of MO:ULagain has completely eliminated any of my scarce spare time available for OSgrid. I hope you understand that Uru (including associated activities like Pod Clock development and – biggest time sink – simply keeping up with forums) has much higher priority for me than OSgrid.
Underneath the sea bed is a modern underground bunker -- a maze of corridors and stairways. For story purposes this is a GoMa establishment. It is in the process of being built by Dot, using a professionally designed full-perms building kit she bought. It needs sounds: sci-fi drones and hums would be handy as clues for navigation and as background atmosphere.
You know that I like these maze elements, and at the time I was thinking about whether I could contribute something akin to them – some kind of small, high-quality components that take a manageable amount of work to make by themselves, but can be used by others to build bigger things. But at this point I’d rather not make any offers.

I don’t think I can contribute anything in terms of sound – that’s not my domain, I am a visual person.
Dot

Post by Dot »

You helped with scripting too -- here and in Deepwater (e.g. those very useful cushions).

Don't worry about not being able to help out. We're all volunteers here, and have to choose what activities to make as priorities -- and it makes sense to focus on those areas we particularly enjoy.

If you ever did get a bit of spare time, the building kit idea I would find incredibly helpful. I'm not able to create ab initio, but give me good quality bits and pieces to play with, and... I suspect I'm not alone in this.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I've been busy playing with and blogging about viewers. Also, I've been building stuff in Blender for my SIM. More learning than actual building. I'll visit Devokan as I can.

I assume there is a builders group so that we can edit and move each others objects.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Post by Dot »

Yes, it's Devokan Builders.

It's best to check before modifying stuff, if that is OK. Thanks!
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Thanks, Dot.

I would check with you and the others before changing anything or adding things. I am also assuming that most things will be built in Mat's sims before appearing in your OSGrid sims.

My reason for asking is for the journals. Those of us that are building and RP'ing will have reasons to move books and change things. I want to avoid putting out a book you might have to chase me down to move. Also, we need some idea of what other RP'ers can do. Putting out a book is one thing. Moving benches and buildings is another. Depending on how these things work out a couple of building groups may be needed, i.e., a serious infrastructure builders group and a casual RP'ers group.

I've played with building a GoC guild hall that has some aspects that fit with some of my old RP... cleaning out the wine cellar... and having images of all the maps (no spoiler maps) and looking like a place where cartographers and surveyors were working. How that might fit in as a building in those sims... is something that I think would need to be cooperative. The one in my sim I can play with and suite myself. I think eventually I may put it on the Hypergrid... but that would be for occassional special events... Or I might put a Linux box up to run it... have to see how things go.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Modeling, Animation and Programming”