Devokan hosting on OSgrid

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Dot

Devokan hosting on OSgrid

Post by Dot »

We're about to embark on an experiment: a mixture of home-based and hosted regions in proximity to each other.

At the moment the 11 home-hosted regions (of which 9 are currently open-sea buffer regions) are on a computer, but there is a plan to move them to a Dell Inspiron server in the weeks to come. They are being run by Mat, who was a shard admin during Until Uru.

The 4 hosted regions are run by SimHost, and cost a total of 60 US dollars per month (this includes a discount; normal price is 69.99 US dollars a month). Support is very helpful, friendly and accessible via a ticket system, via live text chat during 'office hours', and in-world.

Up to now, the home-based and hosted regions have been kept separate. Over the next few days, the hosted regions are going to be moved next to the home-based ones, so that avies should be able to travel from one to the other without teleporting, and regions on different hosts should be visible.

SimHost explained that this would probably result in a degradation of performance in the hosted regions. But it strikes me that it could be a very useful experiment to try out -- a mixed method of hosting.

Nalates: Would you like to try putting your home-based region temporarily on the grid? Try coordinates 9498 9501. This should put you to the west of the sea region by Devokan village.
Nalates

Re: Devokan hosting on OSgrid

Post by Nalates »

OK... I need to figure out how to do that and see if the COX connection will work for that...

Edit: huuunh... this is going to take some time.

Edit: 3/16... I got switched over to MySQL and updated OpenSim. I got the SIM on the Internet, sort of... Now I just need to make my connection to OSGrid.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Yay! I got my SIM on the grid today!

Looking west from Dot's ship.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Dot

Post by Dot »

Nal, Mat and I met up on Nal's island this morning -- an historic occasion. I had a little difficulty teleporting there initially, but a relog solved it. Mat had no such problems.

The possibility of being able to link islands temporarily like this to the grid is exciting and has a great deal of potential.

By the way, that's one of Mat's ships. On the deck on the left is a sim performance meter. Mat is doing various experiments on the server software and hardware.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Over the past year we've learned a lot.

The main cluster of Devokan regions is around OSgrid reference 10625,10625, with other standalone regions scattered throughout the grid.

The connected cluster currently includes home-hosted regions run by Filbert Holmer, then two hosted VPSs from the same provider, one looked after by me and the other by Leah.

Filbert's regions include a hypergate link to a small separate grid he runs.

Nal is threatening ;) to join the cluster to the west (a space has been kept there for her).

Mat is hosting several regions, and currently running an IC story that involves their movement and substitution (something that would not be possible in SL), by tweaking the region.ini files and loading a region backup file (called an oar).

Return to “Grid Hosting & Financial Resources”