Kokua Viewer/Simulator

Moderator: OpenSim Hypergrid Managers

Nalates

Kokua Viewer/Simulator

Post by Nalates »

I see the Imprudence viewer is going away. For the non-SL/OpenSim folks Imprudence is the client side of those virtual worlds, a viewer. Imprudence is one of the better projects and it is a good viewer.

OpenSim is simulator (server side) software is still in the alpha stage of software development. It is not the easiest thing to setup and get running. I did it so it is not all that hard. But intuitive it isn't. It is the backside of the virtual world.

Kokua is a step up in OpenSim development. It is going to provide easier setup and huge list of features we do not have in OpenSim. How compatible this is going to be with existing grids I have no idea, yet.

I have blogged what I know at: Imprudence Viewer Morphs to Kokau Viewer
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Nalates

Re: Kokua Viewer/Simulator

Post by Nalates »

The source for my information made some mistakes in regard to the simulator name, which I repeated. The other sources I looked at were thinking the same and only when those already working with Aurora sim started commenting did the mistake become apparent. The Imprudence/Kokua team had to print a retraction.

The Kokua Simulator is not the name it will be. There will be a Kokua viewer. The Simulator will however keep its current name and continue to be labeled the Aurora Simulator.

Also recent changes in the OSGrid core software (it is unclear if the problem extends to OpenSim in general) has made the Aurora Sim unusable there. Considering the drama in some of the VW software realms... it is hard to know what is going on between OpenSim and Aurora. However, the Imprudence/Kokua and Aurora teams seem OK and moving forward.

OpenSim and Kokua are determined to remain Second Life (SL) compatible. This will be a challenge as Linden Lab is rapidly changing and upgrading their software. Both OpenSim and Blue Mars are providing competitive options and that has to influence SL. How determined Aurora is to remain compatible has not been stated, any place I can find. I don't see they have that much choice, but the cooperation between Kokua and Aurora should at least provide a viewer that will work everywhere.

I'll be postng a follow ups on Nalates Things & Stuff.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Client & Server Software”