Downloading MO:ULagain

Request: Proposal To Offer Fan Assistance To Cyan Worlds For Uru Operations

Moderator: MOUL Project Managers

Nalates

Downloading MO:ULagain

Post by Nalates »

Restored post: Downloading MO:ULagain
News 9.2.2010 um 04:34 Nalates

I understand there is a way to use the GameTap MOUL files to reduce the amount of downloaded material needed.

Does anyone know how to set that up? Several people in SL are asking. Anything we can do to reduce the download would help. I saw RAWA stopped deleting, I guess, torrent links...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
Nalates

Re: Downloading MO:ULagain

Post by Nalates »

Restored post: MO:UL • Re: Downloading MO:ULagain
Feed 9.2.2010 um 08:01 Nalates

Ok... the install downloads the files to C:\Program Files\Uru Live

Output folder: C:\Program Files\Uru Live
Extract: UruLauncher.exe... 100%
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\Uru Live\uninstall.exe
Create shortcut: C:\Users\[username]\Desktop\Myst Online - Uru Live.lnk
Create folder: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Uru Live
Create shortcut: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Uru Live\Myst Online - Uru Live.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Uru Live\Uninstall.lnk
Completed

I am told by others to: Copy avi/, dat/, sfx/ to Program Files\Uru Live.
Nalates
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Feed 9.2.2010 um 16:38 Nalates

This is way out of date now... Also it is no longer needed
I have links from all over coming into this post... I suspect we can't match the link destination. If we can, a note out of date and lost in forum crash note would cover this.

Before downloading the game you can save time and reduce load on the Cyan server by recovering your GameTap files for Uru Live. Put them in place and then attempt the download.

Andy has a set of instructions at GoMa for those that still have their GameTap files installed.

I am part way through the install and logon. So, these instructions are not tested to completion and may be updated at any time. :|

Reusing the MOUL files for MO:ULagain

If you saved your files on a CD or moved them then you need to do this: (Vista or XP - I assume Win7 too)
  • Create or open the folder C:\Program Files\Uru Live - If you got the first part of the download and started your install it will exist. Otherwise, create it.
  • Find, in the set of files you saved, folders labeled: avi, dat, and sfx.
  • Copy these folders to C:\Program Files\Uru Live
  • Once copied right-click on the new folders in C:\Program Files\Uru and select Properties
  • Uncheck the Read Only attribute (this can get added if you copied files from CD/DVD)
  • Now select all the individual files in the folder that contains the avi, dat, and sfx folders.
  • Copy those to C:\Program Files\Uru - AVOID replacing any files - If asked to copy over or replace a file, answer NO. This is a possibility if you started the install but did not complete it.
  • If you have not attempted a download and install and ONLY if you did not, go into the folder C:\Program Files\Uru Live and delete the old file: UruLauncher.exe
  • You should be ready to download and install now. If you attempted an install, run Uru Live from your desktop icon.
Possible additional steps:
  • If you do not have a Myst Online - Uru Live icon on your desktop you will need to create one.
Nalates
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 18:13 Nalates

Mirror Experience
This morning I got a download/update going (2/10 - 8:30 AM PST) from the Cyan server. I used the instructions on OpenUru.org: Downloading MOULagain Instructions (above) to pre-install a copy of the files. Rather than needing 1.2gb I only need 177mb. Yay! :D

While I have not seen an ‘official’ (meaning RAWA or Cyan) statement on the use of GoW Torrents or the mirror that is posted about on MOUL here: Download mirror for you… the posts are still standing. The logic that since the files are free the Torrents/Mirrors do no damage… seems reasonable, especially with the Cyan server being overloaded. However, there are other legal issues. Make your own call.

Having connected; I am finding that the transfer speed from Cyan is extremely low 2kb to 10kb per second. Currently the remaining 170mb is estimated to take 4.5 hours… it grows and shrinks as the transfer stalls and restarts. The transfer rate is bottle necked at the Cyan side.

I finally gave up and started a download from the mirror where I could pull the files at 1mb per second, which is still slow but way better. Part #1 is estimated to take 1 hour. (Now 8:51 AM PST)

I have a good cable connection coming in. Since the download speed was slow I tried downloading Part #2 at the same time. I have at least doubled my download rate now. Seems File Front, the mirror host, has a throttle on download speed. It looks like both parts will finish about the same time, an hour from now.

I'll up date this post as I complete more of the process.

I am also going over to GoW and see how the Torrents are going...
Nalates
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 18:36 JWPlatt

I do not agree that the torrents do not cause damage. Thanks for using indirect links. I'd rather not promote them here. Torrents of copyrighted material create a legal precedent for a company which would then need to defend itself if it comes up in litigation. The increased legal exposure is damage. The total loss of equity and future revenues on the content is at risk. It's easy to create a legal issue. It's difficult and expensive to defend it. That something is free does not relinquish copyrights, unless there is a history of allowing it into the public domain. The logic that the game is free so the content must be in the public domain is patently abusive and/or intentionally naive at best.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Feed 10.2.2010 um 19:39 JWPlatt

I'll add that Cyan is working on a solution that solves the torrent, legal and load issue. So this will be moot soon.
Perfect speed is being there.

Return to “MO:UL”