OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Information & Discussion Which Applies To All Resources

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers, Bugtracker Resource Managers, Wiki Resource Managers, Groupware Resource Managers, Blog Resource Managers

Marten

Re: OpenURU.org Tools

Post by Marten »

Using is not administering! And also please note, my experiences were with an older version of dotproject, installed by someone who did not take much time to customize it. I wanted to share what I knew about the program, but also caution that I'm not confident about the relevance of my history with it.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

DotProject is giving me a 404 error when I try to select the "flat" view in the Edit Task panel :( . Flat/tabbed switching seems to work OK elsewhere, at least the couple of places I tried it.

I'd forgotten about Marten's earlier remarks :oops: . Yes, there's probably more in it than we need, but the "excess" is probably even greater with ]po[. I don't find that tabbed view Marten referred too much of a problem - it's not that much different from M$ Project's way of giving you tabbed Task Information pop-ups. Only it isn't a pop-up ;)

Initially, I was more impressed by ]po[, but once I started looking into it more, the set-up (I'm guessing rarified is using the straight out the box VM package?), the range of features, the general impression, etc., then I became less comfortable with it for the "average user" and started leaning towards dotProject.

Are there any other tools anyone can suggest that offer the web interface, ease of set-up, etc.?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

Mac_Fife wrote:Are there any other tools anyone can suggest that offer the web interface, ease of set-up, etc.?
I also looked at Project.Net, but it is wedded to Oracle right now. There is an effort underway to remap the stored procedures to Hibernate, but it's not ready. So moving it to a simpler DB like postgres or MySQL would be a lot of work.

Yes, I used the VM appliance for ]po[, with a little fiddling about redirects. Also ran it under VirtualBox rather than VMware. The documentation for installing ProjectOpen from scratch gave me the willies.

Many of the pointers I found for web based project management came from Wikipedia's summary of project management software.

[Edited to change eGroupware to Project.Net. I havn't dug deeply yet into eGroupware.]
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

rarified wrote:The documentation for installing ProjectOpen from scratch gave me the willies.
:D :D It had a similar effect on me too, it just seemed to be so "fragile" and that was one of the biggest minuses for me - I wasn't sure just how viable a VM would be (it certainly would be a dead duck on the cheapo shared hosting packages I tend to use :) )
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Ned has a resource proposal on the Suggestions forum which includes using PHProjek (http://www.phprojekt.com/index.php), an open source groupware product which qualifies for the requirements here (LAMP environment). I don't recall seeing a mention of it before, so it's worth putting into consideration.
Perfect speed is being there.
Ned

Re: OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Post by Ned »

Yes the phpProjekt system is good.

Forgive my misplaced posts I am slowly getting pulled around these forums by my hair answering 20 questions at once.

Ok yes I have installed phpProjekt already with the URU Open Source development project in mind.

Its bug free and easy to administer...will happily give this working rendition to this Open Source community.
My team haven't started using it yet ans I at the time had started talking here suggesting that I can offer many things to this community.

This type of portal is an asset for a dev project to have...and sure it does document time in and out but that doesn't really matter.
Even these forums do the same if the admin wants to check the server logs.

Link to my URU Project page http://dev-guild.nihao3d.com/phprojekt/
Nothing fancy...nor does it need to be...its the behind the scenes portal...no need for the public to ever see it :)
Who ever said there was no money in Indie Developer Companies should be shot.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks. The offer is much appreciated. If you would like to allow us to test PHProjekt on your instance, we'd be happy to play. PM me with the admin access info if that is the case and one or two managers can be assigned. Or you can manage it yourself for us if you wish, and we'll send configuration requests. Please be aware the final instance of any resource supported by OpenURU.org will be on this OpenURU.org domain and that your instance would only be for testing. You would be free to remove our testing data afterward.

Again, your help is welcome and appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ned has kindly sent the admin account info. We need one or two volunteers to manage the test instance of PHProjekt for evaluation. Any takers?
rarified

Post by rarified »

Sure, I'll bite. I'm thinking about restarting the discussion about CMS tools anyway.
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Ned

Post by Ned »

I didn't say but should...

full permission to do with as you need.
and if you get stuck message me.

I was reading an earlier post (cant find it now).... re: domain and host.
If this system suits you could always create a subdomain of openuru.org and set the redirect to the IP.
Who ever said there was no money in Indie Developer Companies should be shot.

Return to “Resource Information”