OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Information & Discussion Which Applies To All Resources

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers, Bugtracker Resource Managers, Wiki Resource Managers, Groupware Resource Managers, Blog Resource Managers

JWPlatt

Re: OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Post by JWPlatt »

I found a pretty nice site which lets you demo a large variety of open source web software.

http://php.opensourcecms.com/

They have 195 open source php demos which automatically reinstall every four hours. That's the catch - everything is reset every four hours, and everyone can be admin, so you need to test fast. But for quick looks, it's terrific - a lot like how phpBB lets you try all their skin demos.

Of interest, they have php demos for dotProject, Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, MediaWiki, phpBB, PHProjekt, and WordPress - among many others, including 12 groupware packages.

Definitely worth quick looks to narrow down a field of evaluations for persistent testing here.

They also have ASP.NET demos.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Any thoughts on blogging software? I have my eye on WordPressMU because WordPress is universally known, does the job, and WordPressMU is a single install for all.

Either that or go hog-wild with Joomla or Drupal, but they might duplicate some other tools, wasting functional space.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

On a purely personal level I have no time for blogging software, but a CMS-type of tool to aid those who are uncomfortable with traditional webpage editors, unfamiliar with CSS, etc., would seem like a worthwhile thing. The downside is that many of these do tend to try to do everything in one tool, so as JW noted you will get some functional overlap with, e.g., the forums.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I've never been a blogger either, though the MOUL forums seem to get enough of my attention to qualify for one. ;) I am looking into blog software (or CMS) to accommodate the needs of our newest project team, The D'Uru Project, and, I hope, as an attractive new option for others to use.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

I'm a big WordPress fan myself, I use it for pretty much all my sites these days (even DJC)

It can be pretty flexible with the various plugins, hacks or customized fields.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

WordPress MU is available for evaluation at http://blogs.OpenURU.org

It is open to new accounts and blogs. Have fun. It will be wiped clean after evaluation if it is selected.
JeffLewis

Post by JeffLewis »

I really like it so far. It's exactly like word press, but it can organize out into different projects or groups, and each one is exactly like a standalone wordpress in that it can have its own users and contributors etc. It also seems to work flawlessly. it gets my vote.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is now an evaluation forum for the blog resource:
viewforum.php?f=33
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

By the way, this splurge of resources should be ending, as far as I know, with blogs and project management, unless we want CMS too. That might best be done on a per instance basis if a project wants to use the CMS of their own choice for their subdomain website here. Not sure. There might also be other things which will become evident when the Uru source is released.

It might seem like there's a big menu here with nothing to eat, but there are projects which can prove these resources now without the Uru code. The goal is to support those projects now and be ready with the right people, tools and infrastructure when the time comes.

If you think of something else useful to the community, please let us know.
ZeroCool

Post by ZeroCool »

I just finish reading through this thread, as I will continue to do in others. I am evaluating the how threads and their topics work here in OpenURu.org. This thread was clean of distractive posting, it developed well in logical progression of ideas for direction of steps or actions. Posts showed knowledge and abilities to offer innovative well thought out experienced base comments to guide the topic to a concussion. All I can say further is....WOW! :o

Once the decision is made of the mentioned testing here on what to use for projects management i.e. looks with ease of use and least amount of tool(s) overlaps of functionality.

What struck me here was the threads purpose. If I understood it right, your purpose in this thread was to decide how to pick and provide the best multi-task software program with format/ tools for those who want to come to OpenUru.org and use the sites resources this thread is attempting to decide upon to get and provide them to do projects with.
Help productivity by provide the best tools and place to meet others to do so. Tools for those who are going to collaborate together on building and developing an Age build i.e. develop multiple areas of story, art board, puzzle logics, music, sounds and all other areas of production and discussion.
What I didn't see here in this thread to much, which might be useful, was more in put from those who have and are doing projects and their posted comments. Few posts from them here about what they have already used. How it did or didn’t work with the project they did/ doing. Where they ran up against problems with them as far as use for implementation, tracking things or communicating, setup, etc.... Which choice might best help improve all or some of those revealed areas and what offers the best solutions might be an important part for deciding. I hope your evaluation for the one to get will include some practical hands on experience from those doing Age development projects. Make sure the wagon (tools) aren't to much for the average group of age builders (horse team).

Return to “Resource Information”