OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Information & Discussion Which Applies To All Resources

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers, Bugtracker Resource Managers, Wiki Resource Managers, Groupware Resource Managers, Blog Resource Managers

admin
Site Admin

Re: OpenURU.org Resources & Tools

Post by admin »

Ned wrote:If this system suits you could always create a subdomain of openuru.org and set the redirect to the IP.
I would like to set up a CName so that it will appear on the OpenURU.org domain. Could you set up a subdomain which points to the document root for your PHProjekt instance? i.e. phprojekt.nihao3d.com -- > /public_html/phprojekt (or wherever you have it). Then I can do a successful CName to it.

Thanks.
Ned

Post by Ned »

ok....
current full address is: http://dev-guild.nihao3d.com/phprojekt/
on a shared IP: 74.50.94.234

I have created another http://projekt.nihao3d.com/
has static IP: 74.50.93.232
which will redirect to the current projekt directory.

this latter adress will take time to become effective
like up to 72 hours.

your cname maybe was the same...its correct but wont work properly until the propagation period has passed.
usually 24 hours but can take up to 72 on a bad week.

I own the 74.50.94.?? and 74.50.93.?? blocks at my host.
Who ever said there was no money in Indie Developer Companies should be shot.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

projekt.nihao3d.com will work, thanks. But a new subdomain through your control panel should be effective the instant you create it. Or it needs to propagate at the most on your own DNS, not the entire internet. Regardless, your efforts are appreciated.

Last thing: The subdomain appears to redirect to the original site (which means it's active already). Please make sure there are no redirects involved. This must appear on the OpenURU.org domain. You should be able to point your subdomain at the PHProjekt root folder without redirection.
Ned

Post by Ned »

oops i think I misunderstood...

you'd like me to create a subdomain that you can park at openuru.org
to cname to?

I'm a little confused.
Ned

Post by Ned »

ok got it....having a duh moment :)
will post it here when done.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Actually...I was just thinking....

Are you sure your guys would like to use this projekt package?
If the answer is yes,
then I'll buy a suitable domain name for it and set the phpProjekt in its own web space environment.
Better security and less stress on the servers at my side as I can then assign own dns tables to it.

I'll await your reply re this question before I continue as I think a new domain and fully secured site would be better.
Ned

Post by Ned »

ok here is a full domain (no redirection) its as is with projekt in root

http://projekt.nihao3d.com/

you can set your cname to here

and if you wish for a more formal domain name let me know and we can discuss what name you'd like and I'll set it to this folder.
I'll pm you with the account details.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Since JW is probably asleep right now, and I'm in an "in-between" timezone, I'll do my usual trick of jumping in with both feet and presuming to answer on JW's behalf :) (that's by way of a disclaimer to say that this is my opinion and not JW's official word):

At this point we're only evaluating these types of project management/planning tools, so PHProjekt is just one amongst (currently) three contenders, the others being dotProject and ProjectOpen. Since you already have a working (and seemingly empty?) installation running then I think JW is happy enough to set a CNAME to pull it under the OpenURU.org banner while it is evaluated. Thereafter, if the concensus is that PHProjekt is the preferred option, then I expect that JW will look to host the tool directly within the OpenURU.org server space. I think the argument on that is to avoid OpenURU.org becoming overly dependant on externally provided resources, unless there are overriding technical/configuration arguments (such as with rarified's Continuous Integration engine).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Confirmed, thanks Mac_Fife. Evaluations may be hosted externally, but the final selection will be hosted on this server. That said, gung ho - and trusted - resource admins can ask for an FTP account and a database, then do the entire install themselves if they wish. Otherwise, it will be installed for you and managers can take care of normal operations.

Three measures of when it is acceptable for external hosting are resource dependence risks, privacy/identity risks, and replicability (documentation and the ability to rebuild the resource elsewhere without loss).

The PHProjekt evaluation is now available at http://Groupware.OpenURU.org. The eventual implementation of a project management/groupware resource will be on a subdomain with a more general name. e.g. Mantis is on the "bugs" subdomain. Rarified has generously offered to admin the evaluation, so I'll get that info to him.

Many due thanks to Ned for his efforts on this.

Besides which package is the best product for use here, there is still even the question of whether project management software will be of general benefit to projects at OpenURU.org and others within the communtiy.
Perfect speed is being there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The groupware/project management discussion is getting buried and will probably go on for some time because there are several packages to evaluate. Please take groupware evaluation discussions to its new resource forum at viewforum.php?f=28.

Thanks.

Return to “Resource Information”