Open Uru Site Styling and Organization (was Wiki Main Page)

Information & Discussion Which Applies To All Resources

Moderators: OpenUru.org Moderators, Domain Managers, Bugtracker Resource Managers, Wiki Resource Managers, Groupware Resource Managers, Blog Resource Managers

Mac_Fife

Re: Open Uru Site Styling and Organization (was Wiki Main Pa

Post by Mac_Fife »

I've been looking at this subject again, and taking some consideration of Marten's comments, a couple of posts above this.

Here's what I'd propose:

Main Page: Anyone using the base URL for the wiki will land on the Main Page, so that needs to a) Explain the purpose of the wiki, b) give any essential information and c) provide direct links to the most probable destinations/most popular subjects.
Keep the Welcome block. Keep the News block but reduce the size and ensure the content is current and is actually "news". Lose the Getting Started (only relevant to page authors) and About (got it on the Nav bar) blocks. I'd keep the Resources block even though it kind of duplicates some things as it provides some quick pointers, and I'd add a link to the Community Portal there too. Pull the Open Source section from the Community Portal and the Projects and Resources page contents and merge them into a Development Projects block. Maybe have another block for the "Talking shop" and documentation projects (Instancing, Starting Point, UruDoc, etc.)

Community Portal: Major re-vamp. Get rid of the Site Links (redundant). Convert the page into a "Portal for sub-communities" which is what it's really (I think) meant to be: Developer Community section, Age Builder Community section, Page Author Community section, etc.

Projects and Resources: Keep this as a master index to all the projects that this wiki is supporting. Make sure it's up to date and dress it up a little more.

Comments?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Sounds about right.

I would ask also that the forums get a small revamp. Merge the OpenUru.org and Open sections, and place that top. Merge Domain Development and Domain (OpenUru.org).

I don't personally thing forums with lots of little boards is the right way to go about things, but it is true that it keeps things organised.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

"Community Portal" sounds like the fabled "Pipeline". Perhaps that's good to keep in mind.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Is that one of those things that's a secret to everybody? :)
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:"Community Portal" sounds like the fabled "Pipeline". Perhaps that's good to keep in mind.
It maybe has elements that map to the Pipeline, but it certainly wasn't in my mind this morning when I was mentally reorganizing the wiki. There's the old "Rand and Whiteboard" photo around somewhere on the net that's pretty readable if you want a pipeline template to follow :lol:
Mac_Fife
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

You mean the one on this page?

http://kim.demare.org/Age%20Page.html
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

That's the one! :)
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

RAWA has a great post on the DRC site which covers the IC and OOC pipeline in good detail. I'll look it up when I get a chance unless someone else finds it first.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Mac_Fife
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

That was actually a pretty interesting read. I wish I'd followed that staging before working on Llantern - things wouldn't quite be so disjointed then! :P
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR

Return to “Resource Information”