ToDo

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
rarified

Re: ToDo

Post by rarified »

Mac_Fife wrote:For the foundry entry points, should we direct everyone to the HTTPS variants by default, so that credentials aren't sent in the clear?
Probably. I'm just multitasking a bit so what should be above the obvious bar is only a blur on the horizon. ;)

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

a'moaca' wrote:And yes, it's feeling just like the real job at the moment.
Well, please don't let me put anyone under any kind of pressure here: I really don't mean to do that :) We've all got our own pulls on our time.

I think I'm really asking the same question that a'moaca' did above. How will we know we're ready, if we don't know what "ready" means? Maybe JW has enough oversight to know when that time comes anyway. For each of us there's probably a list of things that we'd want to have done before feeling comfortable about going to release, and another list of things we'd like to have done but don't matter so much. What's on my list probably doesn't matter much to anybody else and vice versa. What would matter would be whether a blocker exists.

I guess I'm maybe fretting that something I should be doing ends up becoming the "long pole in the tent" because I think I've got loads of time and end up using that time on other things :roll: .
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mac is talking about being prepared. It's not that we're thinking Cyan will do that, or that they are ready. It's just a better feeling when we know the ball is in the other guy's court. ;)

LOL at Mac_Fife's "stable enough to go public without embarrassment." That is so true. I was shooting for a month after rarified began to prepare Foundry for CWE. I think we need a target because the tendency is for "people to go where they are looking." But absolutely take care of your own lives first, and this project somewhere down the list where you can remain comfortable.

My one-month goal was for OpenUru.org alone. I can't speak for Cyan or a'moaca' nor am I making any expectations on their schedules. Each part of this happy triad (Cyan, MOSS, OpenUru.org) has control over its own "go" button and the schedule remains relative to that.

I really like the idea of giving Cyan a visible status of our progress. And I like getting practice in with JIRA to do that before the project publicly opens so we have some experience going in. If everyone could put some demands on the Foundry, that would be extremely useful. Forums can only go so far. The more we put our ToDo lists on JIRA, the more we'll be able to see what needs to get done.

It would be nice to wrap up this present perfectly, but as an ongoing project, I think it's okay if we're still doing some things when the guests arrive. There will always be something in the works and always something to do. I don't imagine it will ever be "done."

Yes, it would be nice to have a complete build. I would at least like to have all components available. But if there's development work due to the loss of 3rd party libraries, we can't hold up because of it. The community needs to pitch in at that point.

For clarity, an initial commit of CWE to the Mercurial repo should provide some of that beyond what I've already described because then we'll have something to actually try to build. I want to make sure the repo is secure and the Foundry is ready for it before the commit. After rarified says "go" and I give it a preliminary test, I'll "go."

I think everyone here understands we're not out to make this a job for anyone. Any pressure we feel may just be the professional level demands and expectations we place upon ourselves to make a commitment and do something well. It's a testament to everyone on the team to uphold that kind of ethic even when we're doing it just for fun. If you need time or space, take it. Let's make sure to keep this interesting and fun.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:For clarity, an initial commit of CWE to the Mercurial repo should provide some of that beyond what I've already described because then we'll have something to actually try to build. I want to make sure the repo is secure and the Foundry is ready for it before the commit. After rarified says "go" and I give it a preliminary test, I'll "go."
See http://foundry.openuru.org/jira/browse/CWE-5 for a response to your query. ;)

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:It would be nice to wrap up this present perfectly, but as an ongoing project, I think it's okay if we're still doing some things when the guests arrive. There will always be something in the works and always something to do. I don't image it will ever be "done."

Yes, it would be nice to have a complete build. I would at least like to have all components available. But if there's development work due to the loss of 3rd party libraries, we can't hold up because of it. The community needs to pitch in at that point.
This is an Open Source project so it wouldn't be as much of a "project" if people arrived and there's a fully worked example there already. Earlier, a'moaca' referred to what the expectation is: My feeling, on CWE, is that most people are aware that some libraries would have to be removed (Chogon had stated that some time back), so they'd be expecting something that needs patching. So for me, a CWE that builds isn't a high priority. Maybe being able to tell people up-front what's missing would be helpful though.

The OU bits I need to do don't seem to be all that pressing just now, so I have some slack here. There are other things wanting my time, so I'm servicing those just now (I think JW is in a similar boat). I just don't want to find out at the last minute I'm the "blocker" ;) .
Mac_Fife
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Mac_Fife wrote:
a'moaca' wrote:And yes, it's feeling just like the real job at the moment.
Well, please don't let me put anyone under any kind of pressure here: I really don't mean to do that :) We've all got our own pulls on our time.
Well, I don't feel pressured on time. I'm already working on MOSS as fast as I can stand it (maybe faster :lol:), for my own reasons and needs. What I was referring to is needing status/estimates for a task whose scope I don't even understand. I constantly find that very frustrating about my real job.
Mac_Fife wrote:I guess I'm maybe fretting that something I should be doing ends up becoming the "long pole in the tent" because I think I've got loads of time and end up using that time on other things :roll: .
Ah, I see. That explanation makes more sense. Is dependency tracking interesting, then?

Setting goals and targets is reasonable and a good thing. I don't want anyone to think I'm objecting to that -- I just don't want to assess progress when we don't know what the goal is. If I were Cyan, I'd be far more interested in "are the goals reasonable and being reached?" than "will it be ready by X day?" which is part of why I found the latter question a peculiar rationale. My experience has been that they have a rather good understanding of the volunteer part of our time.

On CWE building/working: I guess my question is answered, and there isn't an expectation that it will work at release time. I agree it's not required and I too would also prefer to see it working on release, *if* there is not meaningful development effort required. But I am guessing there is not. And if "it runs upon release" makes it a non-project, then MOSS is a non-project, because it builds and runs already. :P

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

As you all know, these threads will be locked just before announcement and the forum left open to further management going forward. But there is one thread besides the Account Queue that I'd like to leave open, that being "Code Odds and Ends," but move it to the "CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin" forum. Only cjkelly1 and I have posted to it. Please let me know if there are any objections.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

No objection from me.
Mac_Fife

Return to “Management”