JIRA Browser Troubles With Frames, Javascript

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
a'moaca'

JIRA Browser Troubles With Frames, Javascript

Post by a'moaca' »

I'm struggling with JIRA. I can't get to Project X.

When I log in, clicking on Projects gets me to the Wireshark plugin. And I can't get out. There's a little arrow next to Projects that suggests a menu, but clicking on it does nothing for me. I guess maybe my browser's busted? Is it using flash or something dumb like that? If I click "Administration" I get a list. It says "Below is the list of all 1 projects for this installation of JIRA." and that one project(s) is the Wireshark plugin. The only glimpse I can get of Project X is if I go to file a new bug. It appears in the list there. But everything else I do takes me back to the Wireshark plugin. It's like a little prison with a blue shark in it.

Halp!

Also, JW, the link has a typo in your post here: viewtopic.php?p=3349#p3349

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Re: ToDo

Post by JWPlatt »

You are in the proper groups to see the project.

The JIRA docs say, "If you have disabled Javascript in your browser or are using a script blocker like NoScript, you will need to enable Javascript for JIRA to get the full experience JIRA has to offer." Does that make sense to why the arrow doesn't work? When you click on the down-arrow, you should get a choice of "Current Project," "Recent Projects," and "View All Projects."

Clicking on "Projects" gives you your current (most recently selected - i.e., Wireshark) project.

Another way to get what you want is to create a new dashboard for yourself containing things you like, such as projects. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display ... +Dashboard

Of course, some of this may only work if you have Javascript working.

Typo fixed, thanks. :)
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I know the version of Safari on the iPad cannot use JIRA for that reason -- javascript doesn't seem to be fully implemented and holding over an active spot won't bring up the menu.

In case you're using a flavor of Safari...

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

This is weird.

I do have javascript enabled, and no script blockers. I run firefox, but on a weird OS. All those non-pure-javascript add-ons, including flash, don't have builds for my OS. So when a site only kinda works I get a little suspicious.

This is a bit of a head-scratcher, but... I... guess it has to do with being in a frame? I found when hovering over the arrow it says something like "more options Alt-p" but Alt-p does something in the browser itself. I was able to right-click on the arrow and load it in a new tab. This gave me the dashboard page again, but with working menus!

I find the big ol' bookmarks list cumbersome so I use a page with two frames for links to Uru sites. That means the forums and in turn JIRA (since I was following links) are in a frame. I am clumsy with web stuff (preferring systems, kernel hacking, networking, and the like) so I don't know if this frame theory makes any sense, but it's the best explanation I have. I'm too busy to read all the javascript to find out for myself. ;)

- a'moaca'
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I was using IE8 with no problems, but after reading these posts I tried using Jira in Safari 5.0.3 (under Windows), and I'm still not seeing any problem there: Alt-P activates the Projects drop-down menu.

So I created a page with frames and put Jira in one frame and the forums in another. Still seemed too work OK in Safari. Then I tried it in FireFox 3.6.13. And it broke big style :( . Displayed nothing. Zip. Blank white page with "Done" on the status bar. But both would load OK if I didn't use frames. And I get the same blank screen using frames in IE8.

(Safari is still the only browser I know that scores 100/100 on the Acid 3 Test for standards compliance: FF 3.6 scores 94/100 and IE8 a pitiful 12/100)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
rarified

Post by rarified »

Anything in Firefox's error log?

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes, lots of errors related to my ISP's Member Centre login page :lol: , but nothing related to my frameset page. Cleared the log, shut down and restarted FF, reloaded the page. Nothing logged.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Hmm. I wonder now if some of the other half-working sites I've seen are broken due to this simple frameset too.

I'm using 3.6.12 and it works better than Mac's. I get all the non-javascript content all right. So I get text, but no doodads in the dashboard. I can click on real links and get stuff. But all the little menu triangles, I notice when I hover over them that the links end in the empty anchor #, a sign of "broken javascript" I am well used to seeing in my little world.

There are lots of errors in the log. It won't let me copy-paste them in bulk. (Sigh.) Here is a representative set. Looks like a bunch of css stuff. Maybe when it's in a frameset the css is not loaded properly? (If I'm off in la-la land, see "clumsy" above.) There are a lot of similar "declaration dropped" errors in a number of css files.
rarified

Post by rarified »

a'moaca' wrote:
Hmmm. I'll look at that script file. The error would hint there's a file:// reference in there.

There's nothing I see in the JIRA documentation about it being sensitive to being embedded in a frameset.

_R
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Well, I had the thought to check errors on a non-frame load. There are loads more of the css errors (though the page appears to work) but that error about loading file:// is not included.

- a'moaca'

Return to “Management”