Wiki pre-release?

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
a'moaca'

Re: Wiki pre-release?

Post by a'moaca' »

I haven't really had a chance to work with the wiki (probably won't until the weekend), but as long as it is using the same standard wiki formatting, I at least won't have any issue with it.

I did take a very quick look and what I think is needed is a skeleton for the structure that will exist on the public wiki. That way we can set up all the internal links and they'll work when the pages are copied over. (I'm not too concerned with import, which I guess is mostly concerned with preserving version history and I don't think that is all that critical in this case.)

So what I mean is, let's say I wanted a page named MOSS and other pages like "MOSS FAQ" and "MOSS project ideas". And also these pages are going to link to other pages, like, say, the CWE page, and the Wireshark plugin page, and who knows what else. What are the names of those pages going to be so I can link to them? Is everything in a top level (small-n) namespace? Is there a heirarchy like we use at work, where I'd have MOSS and MOSS/FAQ and MOSS/Project_Ideas? Or do I use a convention I saw mentioned using dashes?

Since I have no idea how people want the overall organization I would appreciate some hints on that. It's not critical because links can be fixed up, but it would be nice.

- a'moaca'
rarified

Post by rarified »

@Mac - is there a set of OU style macros and whatever else I should import into the foundry wiki to make it easy to transfer new content between the two wikis and get the same result?

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

The Confluence wiki markup is substantially different to the Mediawiki markup :?

The Confluence markup is maybe a little easier to work with - *bold* as opposed to '''bold''', _italic_ as opposed to ''italic'', but importing back into MediaWiki just looks like being a bit too much work :( The link format is similar but subtly different, heading formats are very different. The only things I found that work the same way are bulleted and numbered lists and the convention for namespaces (although I can't tell if the namespaces themselves will be similar).

I think it's good for private wikis, with a nice editor, so easy to get started with, but I wouldn't recommend it for what we plan to do.

@a'moaca' : The convention for MediaWiki is that the / is used to denote subpages that are transcluded into another page: c.f. Template:TOClimit and Template:TOClimit/doc. Then, because : is the namespace delimiter we've recommended the Subject - Page Name format. So MOSS - FAQ is preferable to MOSS/FAQ - both would work and neither would "break" anything; it's just being consistent with the established practise here.

I'm expecting that all project pages will be created in the default (NULL) namespace - There's no reason to put them anywhere else, unless we purposely create additional namespace pairs for individual projects.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Then I'd say we have to save the Confluence wiki for other private projects, as Mac suggests. Sorry, rarified, and thanks because Confluence is worth the effort. It's worthwhile to have, but just doesn't apply well if the intention is to stage the content to MediaWiki.

I will set up a mirror wiki for use by this weekend at squee.openuru.org. It will have all the same content, extensions, logon, and assets as our current wiki has now. You'll be able to do everything one-for-one. I will turn off the masthead/navigation on it so no one is confused about exactly which wiki they are using. We'll all use a common subdomain username and password, but then logon to the wiki normally. I'll let you know when it's set up.
Perfect speed is being there.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The wiki is not set up yet, but here's the info to test access to the test pattern:

http://squee.OpenUru.org
username: ProjectX (case sensitive)
password: 8S55)%Dm+FF4
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

look at house
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Open mailbox
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I assume the plan will be to export pages from the interim wiki and import them into the main wiki. I don't think we have transwiki import enabled so we'd be going through XML export/import. Only sysops (myself and JW) can import, although anyone can export pages to XML. I should check, but I believe export/import preserves contributor history, which would address one of JW's concerns that the original author gets properly credited for the work.

Reference material: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Import
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mac_Fife wrote:Open mailbox
Indeed.

Project X Squee is ready for use.

Note that the "Upload file" option is available in the Toolbox menu at the bottom of the left navigation panel. Upload any support graphics for your articles. These and their links will eventually be migrated to the assets folders.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

A couple of notes...

When exporting pages (when the time comes) remember to uncheck the option "Include only the current revision, not the full history" so that the full history is copied across. This isn't so important for new pages, but when importing updates to existing pages the import will overwrite the old page version which could mean a loss of history.

Secondly, I suggest that from now until launch, all wiki edits are carried out only on the Squee Wiki: There are some issues that we're dancing round on the wiki just now, an it'll be easier to work cleanly on Squee. If something desperately must go on the public wiki then we'll just have to deal with the double edit.

The export requires that you supply the names of the pages that you want to export, so keep a note of the titles of pages you create or edit, ideally in a text file, that you can later use to export those files. Depending on how things go, it might turn out to be quicker and simpler to copy the DB back into the original wiki.
Mac_Fife

Return to “Management”