Wiki pre-release?

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Mac_Fife

Re: Wiki pre-release?

Post by Mac_Fife »

@ a'moaca': If you're still seeing problems with the link format/rendering on the squee wiki, I'd suggest that you "just go for it" with your best estimate of what you think should go in your page(s). I'll check anything using my browsers and make any corrections that are needed. And if there's a problem that I haven't seen yet, then this might help expose it.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Note: Please remember that any literal links should be to the "wiki" subdomain, not "squee". But wiki internl links will adjust themselves.
Perfect speed is being there.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

The external link syntax is working for me now. I have no idea why it wasn't.

I am furiously working away. I hope to get most of the stuff up tonight.

I would like to ask that there be some link to MOSS from the http://squee.openuru.org/index.php?titl ... com_Engine page. I know this page is about CWE and not MOSS, but we're telling them, yay, yippee! Go get this client and, uh, we don't say how to use it, at least not directly. So could we please add a link to See Also at the least to make that leap easier instead of someone having to go find MOSS separately.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Absolutely. If you don't, one of us will - most likely Mac who has apparently somehow gotten himself unencumbered from the Todo list.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I ran into a couple more things.

I used some assumed locations for AuthFiles.zip and Scripts.zip. I used the same location Mac assumed on the CWE pages. It would be good to know the right answer.

Also, aren't we going to add CWE and MOSS to http://squee.openuru.org/index.php?titl ... _Resources ?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

a'moaca' wrote:I would like to ask that there be some link to MOSS from the http://squee.openuru.org/index.php?titl ... com_Engine page.
Done!...
a'moaca' wrote:Also, aren't we going to add CWE and MOSS to http://squee.openuru.org/index.php?titl ... _Resources ?
... and done :)
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Thought: Do we expect that project wiki articles will be:
a) Directly edited by the user community,
b) Proposed on the "Discussion" tabs for the pages, then incorporated by the project team as seen fit, or
c) Discussed on the forums, then incorporated by the project team as seen fit?

Most "stand-alone" wiki sites tend to do a mix of a) and b), but I think our preference has tended to be c) - to keep discussions and proposals on the forums (an informal process), and use the wiki as the more "formal" record. If that's what we plan to do then we probabaly need to state that clearly (somewhere) to avoid misunderstandings. Does the UI extension allow hiding the "Discussion" tab?

Edit: Answer to my last question is in the last bullet point here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_ta ... Default.3F - I could amend the OpenUru wiki skin to do that.

Edit 2: OK, forget I even raised the subject :lol: - It looks like we've been using the Talk pages fairly extensively for project articles. In looking up the past usage of the Talk/Discussion pages, I did unearth a couple of old accounts with spam in the UserTalk page, so I deleted those pages and removed the accounts.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add footnote
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The level and quantity of work done on the wiki over the past month is incredible, now with changes mostly completed by a'moaca's impressive MOSS documentation. Putting this on Squee was the correct choice because now rather than manually copy over and reformat changes, I can simply change the LocalSettings pointer to the current Squee database and be done with it in just a few seconds. Really, really great work folks.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Mac_Fife wrote:Thought: Do we expect that project wiki articles will be:
a) Directly edited by the user community,
b) Proposed on the "Discussion" tabs for the pages, then incorporated by the project team as seen fit, or
c) Discussed on the forums, then incorporated by the project team as seen fit?

Edit 2: OK, forget I even raised the subject :lol: - It looks like we've been using the Talk pages fairly extensively for project articles. In looking up the past usage of the Talk/Discussion pages, I did unearth a couple of old accounts with spam in the UserTalk page, so I deleted those pages and removed the accounts.
I could forget you raised the subject, but I'm not sure whether I should. As you may have noticed (maybe even prompting your question), I wrote text in several places in the MOSS pages that say "you should update the wiki!" If the answer is actually *not* "a" I need to amend all those.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I think Mac was talking about using the forums in the place of the wiki discussions, then wrote that there's some precedent to use the discussions anyway. But updating the wiki pages themselves is always a given and encouraged. Personally, I rarely look at wiki discussions; I only read the wiki pages. I like the forum structure better for discussing how to produce a wiki article. On a project site like this, it seems more natural. But on Wikipedia, for example, discussions are the only place to discuss the pages.

Return to “Management”