Target Date

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
rarified

Re: Target Date

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:
a'moaca' wrote:Were we planning to set up MOSS in Hudson before release, or no?
Yes, hope so! rarified's always been eager to put Hudson/Jenkins to work. I'll make sure it's on my list as a blocker. Let's see if rarified agrees. ;)
I do, but I'll reserve determining the probability of success until after I see the code. ;)
JWPlatt wrote:I never dreamed the client would be executable, but if rarified and cjkelly1 do some sort of wizardry on it, cool, and very impressive.
Will also depend on input from cjkelly1, but at least I have the material in hand. This weekend I may explore the VS projects to see what happens with them.
Mac_Fife wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:Maybe some of us could have an Uru client window open in MOULa and hang out in the OpenUru.org hood? ;)
Or is anyone going to hang out on the OpenUru IRC?
I havn't tried the OU IRC, guess I'll have to do that soon. I likely will still be trying to pretend I'm doing "real work" during the day so I may not be very attentive.
Mac_Fife wrote:Maybe the home page URL should temporarily redirect to a "We are currently updating the website" page (with no menu) on the launch morning while we get the underlying content revised?
Doesn't matter to me. I have some back-office things to do as well (enabling access to CWE for default users). We also need to have a strategy for granting people privileges higher than read-only access.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

We will be one week away from the target date tomorrow (Monday). Please refer to the revised ToDo and let me know if anything needs to be added or is completed.

But especially, if this schedule cannot be met or is making anyone uncomfortable, please let me know about it and we'll wave off.
Perfect speed is being there.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

This target date is indeed very tight for me. I can make it, but it's going to be rough. To help out a little bit with scheduling, since I am definitely not going to get MOSS pushed until the weekend, I've provided rarified with an early-release copy of MOSS. This way he should be able to get the foundry end all worked out, except for the actual Hg checkout, before the last minute.

At the same time, I'm not greatly confident that we will receive everything we need from Cyan in time. If we don't get that stuff on Friday, we're not going to announce it Monday, are we?

If we don't get everything we need from outside this team by Friday, I may take a MOSS break and spend some time on my taxes this weekend. At this point doing my taxes sounds really attractive. :lol:

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Go ahead and do what you need to do. If taxes are it - and I think a lot of folks are doing that right now - cool. I got my corporate and personal taxes done in mid-January, but who's counting. :P

All I need to know is whether everyone is ready. You don't need to explain anything. This is for the pleasure of doing it. But I do need to know before going away for the weekend Friday afternoon. If there's any doubt, please express it by tomorrow evening (Thursday).
a'moaca' wrote:At the same time, I'm not greatly confident that we will receive everything we need from Cyan in time.
What I am expecting is the Announcement text from Rand and perhaps a time of day when they intend to release it. There's also the question of the Game and Auth file licensing. We don't have word on either yet. So if you don't hear about them by Friday, it's *probably* okay to do as you please. Was there something else we're expecting from Cyan?
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

We need to know by Thursday whether we'll receive by Monday all the needed stuff from ourselves with no true time commitment, as well as stuff from a third party, so you can decide before Friday whether we're going to release on Monday? What if someone misses the deadline over the weekend? And then if you are releasing on Monday, you're going to do a major release/announcement after receiving things quite possibly that same day, and all this after you've been out of town all weekend with a ToDo list as large as we have?

... wow. :shock:

I'm sorry, this does not sound fun at all to me. This sounds to me not like a target for Monday but a different deadline for Thursday.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

On the bright side, not many of my issues are blockers. :) A lot of it now is just writing stuff (it's just time), doing some backup development (easy, just more time), and about the run-up to Announcement (hurry up and wait). Meanwhile, I have a CK project burning on the stove.

Ok, let's take inventory:
  • cjkelly1 - sounds like he's in really good shape with the build and I got him an avenue from Mark about it - really excellent status from where I stand
  • a'moaca' - would have to slave like a grue to get MOSS done this weekend
  • rarified - ISP service scheduled for Friday - who knows if it'll work (it's Comcast)
  • Mac_Fife - sudden unexpected demands on his time I'm sure he'd rather tend to
  • JWPlatt - away for the weekend with Boy Scouts on a long-scheduled trip
  • Cyan Worlds - Announcement and licenses unknown, and MOULa is "down until further notice"
Does this sound like a good pre-announcement weekend to you? Heh. I really don't want us working through the weekend rushing to get things done, then finding out we didn't have to. So I think if we're not done Friday, then we're not done Monday morning either. And I include Cyan in the "we" thing. After any postponement, and I think it likely, we need to wait for Mac_Fife to return comfortably and see when rarified's vacation, to let his fingers heal, begins.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Jeep Safari dates: 4/19-4/24. Assuming no deaths, back late 4/24. Would be nice to unpack 4/25, though.

Next absence will be mid-May, though I havn't set a date. Heading in JW's direction, I believe (western NY state)...

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

JWPlatt wrote:Does this sound like a good pre-announcement weekend to you? Heh.
Yikes, not really... Heh, indeed.
JWPlatt wrote:I really don't want us working through the weekend rushing to get things done, then finding out we didn't have to. So I think if we're not done Friday, then we're not done Monday morning either.
Yeah, this was the gist of my comment asking about Friday. If need be I can finish by Monday but otherwise I'll plan to finish early next week instead. :)

- a'moaca'

P.S. I thought grues were good at eating, not working. So wouldn't it be slaver like a grue?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

a'moaca' wrote:So wouldn't it be slaver like a grue?
Heh! And I thought "slaver" (in the drooling sense) was an entirely Scots word...

It looks likely that my domestic issues will largely resolve themselves through the course of the weekend. I need to look again at the Blockers and see if there's anything I can help "unblock".

Monday looks out of the frame to me, given the comments above. If we thought 3/30 was workable, I'd go with that if Cyan could - later in the week doesn't make sense from a Cyan availability perspective over the weekend (although they've said they don't expect to be providing any kind of support/advice). Personally I'm not too thrilled about 4/4, but could probably live with it.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

...Signing off for the weekend.

I proposed a new date of Tuesday, April 5 to the good folks at Cyan. That gives us a Monday to communicate instead of going directly after the weekend. Mark says okay, and thinks Rand is working on the Announcement.

Have a happy weekend.
a'moaca' wrote:I thought grues were good at eating, not working. So wouldn't it be slaver like a grue?
Heh, well, I wanted to invoke Zork, but I didn't want to conjour up that sort of image of you, a'moaca'! So I left off the 'r.' ;)

Return to “Management”