ToDo: ToDo

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
JWPlatt

ToDo: ToDo

Post by JWPlatt »

Okay folks, from Notepad to you, here's what's on my mind at the moment as far as what to put on the ToDo list and what to get done before, during and after Cyan's open source announcement.

Please take these as rough suggestions, unfiltered for panic-inducement, completeness, or grammar. It is not done, but I'm feeling pressure to get this out because I see some of these things getting touched upon in other posts, and I need to tend to other paying work. I figure better to finish the last 5% or 10% under your review than try to perfect it myself. I will amend as necessary or required. I've tried to kind of double-entry this as far as resources and timeline go.

if a name is listed, the task is/was assigned to that person. If a resource is listed, the person responsible is obvious or the task is up for grabs.

Legend:

Code: Select all

[  ] = Not a blocker, not done.
[ *] = Not a blocker, done.
[B ] = Blocker, not done.
[B*] = Blocker, done.
ToDo:

CYAN

[B*]CWE: Tony - Determine product name and open source license. (CyanWorlds.com Engine, GPLv3)
[B*]CWE: Mark - Insert licensing into sources.
[B*]CWE: JWPlatt - Create OU FTP account for Mark.
[ ]CWE: Mark - Deliver CWE server code via FTP. (not yet - needs a lot of work - in the future)
[B*]CWE: JWPlatt - Get CWE server auth and game files from Mark.
[B*]CWE: Cyan - License CWE Auth and Game files.
[B*]CWE: Mark - Deliver client/plugin code via FTP.
[ *]CWE: JWPlatt - Q: What of the MORE data server? (Will be MOULa for now.)
[ *]CWE: JWPlatt - Q: What of a content license? (There is not a license yet.)
[ *]CWE: JWPlatt - Q: Can we get database schema/interface specs? (It wouldn't apply to anything except the MOUL servers.)
[ *]CWE: JWPlatt - Q: Is the internal client part of the source? (Most of it is there - turn off physics, etc - so we'll have to depend on people to behave

themselves.)
[B*]Foundry: Mark - Create CyanWorlds Account on JIRA to own CWE project and repo.
[ ]Foundry: Mark - Create Chogon account on JIRA
Community: Rand - Write announcement text and any other release plans; copy to OU.
[ ]MOUL: Add link on Developers page to http://OpenUru.org.

MOSS

[B*]MOSS: a'moaca'- Complete and test MOSS server.
[B*]Wiki: a'moaca'- Complete MOSS docs on temporary wiki.
[B*]MOSS: a'moaca'- Push MOSS to Foundry Mercurial repo.

FOUNDRY

[B*]Foundry: JWPlatt - Get unlimited licensing for all Atlassian products.
[B*]Foundry: JWPlatt - Give rarified "head's Up!" One month warning.
[B*]Foundry: rarified - Rebuild apache and everything downstream with Gnu C.
[B*]Foundry: rarified - Upgrade/install Atlassian JIRA,Fisheye, Crucible, Confluence, Crowd products.
[ ]Foundry: rarified - paint the front door (almost done with Mac's help)
[ *]Foundry: rarified - update Fisheye/Crucible to 2.5.3 (bugfix release, may help Mac's display issues)

[ ]CWE: rarified - Create automated process for API documentation for wiki, etc - Namespace, Classes, Members, Methods, Enumerations, Constants.
[ *]CWE: JWPlatt - Determine missing libraries, commit placeholder files into empty folders.
[ *]CWE: cjkelly1, Mac_Fife - Determine license compatibility of missing libraries, issue per library - create wiki page
[B*]CWE: JWPlatt - Push client/plugin sources
[ *]CWE: cjkelly1, a'moaca' - Obtain or develop missing libraries, issue per library
[ *]CWE: cjkelly1, a'moaca' - Build client/plugin as completely as possible before announcement
[B*]CWE: JWPlatt - Merge CWE-work with cjkelly1 and a'moaca's client work into CWE.
[ ]CWE: rarified - Build on Hudson/Jenkins.

MOSS: rarified - Build on Hudson/Jenkins.
[ ]MOSS: rarified - finish & deliver server setup script to patient a'moaca'

[B*]Repo: rarified - Create Mercurial repository.
[B*]Repo: JWPlatt - Confirm source/API browsing on Atlassian tools.
[ ]Repo: rarified - Make sure Foundry Mercurial repo management UI is available and ready for owner.
[B*]Repo: rarified, JWPlatt - Implement throttle for initial pulls of CWE (process posted to wiki and forum thread - has rarified's blessing).
[ *]Repo: rarified - Support Subversion Authentication.
[ ]Repo: rarified - Support Mercurial Authentication
[B*]Repo: rarified - Provide stats on pulls, pushes, clones, forks.

DOMAIN LOOK AND FEEL (Complete!)

[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Integrated site navigation masthead, menu wrappers on www, forums and wiki.
[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Develop wikiCMS to serve web pages sourced from wiki.
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Develop Wiki authentication integration with phpBB.
[ *]Domain: JWPlatt - Obtain rights and art to baby squee mascot image of "Mini" by artist EA Derby.
[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Write an animation of Mini to appear on OpenUru.org web pages.

CREATE DEVELOPMENT PLAN (all up for discussion)

[ *]Forums: JWPlatt - Request team to keep all management discussions and decisions on open forums.
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - State no new features and no bug fixes, except for substituted libraries, until sources successfully build and execute CWE 1.0.
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Encourage Doxygen directives as part of initial build changes.
[ ]Build integrated documentation originating from the code for use on Fisheye, wiki, PDF, and VS IDE. Stress importance.
[ ]Build licensing checks into workflow.
[ ]Build Crucible (code review) into workflow.
[ ]Promote active members by merit of contributions to positions of responsibility - group admins, developers, commit rights, etc.
[ ]Recommend Bitbucket to those who want to clone and fork.
[ ]Document plan in forums and wiki texts.
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Create list of project positions and responsibilities
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Project lead (integration of job flow, patches, release schedules)
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Documentation lead (create and integrate cross-platform documentation for JIRA, web, Wiki, PDF, IDE)
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Technology lead (site integration, resource integration, security, builds)
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Development lead (prioritization of issues, issue assignments, tools, set up code review)
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Web community lead (development of web presence and content to introduce, educate and deliver open source projects - e.g.,

http://www.open.collab.net/community/subversion)

PREPARE TEXT

[B*]Community: JWPlatt - Prepare OpenUru.org CWE announcement.

[B*]Forums: JWPlatt - Write intro blubs for each CWE forum (Info, Client/Plugin, Server, MOSS)

[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife, JWPlatt, a'moaca', rarified - Write FAQ questions and answers
[B*]wiki: JWPlatt, Mac_Fife - Write CWE project page
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - CWE page - Incorporate text somewhere that the client and plugin are part and parcel, and use Visual C++, Python, libraries, etc.
[ *]wiki: Mac_Fife - Create OpenUru.org copyrights page.
[ ]Wiki: JWPlatt - Get one-paragraph community and/or personal (optional) bio from all principals - if possible.
[ ]Wiki: rarified - Write user experience summary for Foundry entry, tools, SSO, where things are, tips...
[ ]Wiki: rarified - set up direct links in wiki to retrieve build results from Jenkins/Hudson builds

RESEARCH (generally for anyone)

[ ]Read up on successful management of open source projects.
[ ]Read up on mismanagement of open source projects.
[ *]Send links to team for comments and plan.
[ ]Read all 190 pages of "Producing Open Source Software, How To Run A Successful Free Software Project"
[ ]Read all 3 pages of "Art Of Negotiation"
[ *]http://cbas.pandion.im/2008/08/how-to-r ... oject.html
[ *]http://adam.heroku.com/past/2008/9/6/ho ... n_an_open/
[ *]http://weblogs.java.net/blog/turbogeek/ ... u_run.html
[ *]http://www.producingoss.com/en/producingoss.pdf
[ *]http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20773 (The KI source) - licensing discussion
[ *]CWE: Mac_Fife - Check PhysX compatibility with GPLv3.

PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT

[B*]Wiki: JWPlatt - Set up secured, temporary wiki named "Squee" for secure pre-release documentation collaboration.
[B*]Foundry: Mark - Create CyanWorlds JIRA account, deliver licensed sources and announcement.
[B*]Foundry: rarified - Prepare Foundry with operational Subversion and Mercurial repositories, tools, etc.
[B*]Foundry: a'moaca' - Complete and push MOSS sources, post docs.
[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Domain look and feel improvements.
[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Mini.
[B*]Foundry: JWPlatt - Get and push CWE sources.
[ *]www: JWPlatt - Create/confirm accounts on Twitter, Facebook, FreshMeat, etc.
[ *]Wiki: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ *]Forums: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ *]Mantis: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ *]Blogs: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ *]Domain: JWPlatt - Test backups with restore.

[B*]wiki: JWPlatt - Add list of official OpenUru.org representatives.
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Create CyanWorlds category
[B*]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Write SSL cert instructions per browser
[B*]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Write development info page with explanations/links for SSL certs, source browsing, repos, assets, and downloads

[ ]Forums: JWPlatt - Archive "MO:UL" forum
[B*]Forums: JWPlatt - Post forum purpose announcements for all CWE forums to replace all phony Lorem Ipsum text
[B*]Forums: JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum" section to "Open Uru"
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum Info" forum to "Information", set #2
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum Alpha" forum to "Management", set #1
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum Beta" forum to "CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin", set #5
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum Gamma" forum to "CyanWorlds.com Engine - Servers", set #3, lock and (maybe) hide
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Rename "Lorem Ipsum Delta Mos Eisley" forum to "MOSS", set #4
[ ]Forums; JWPlatt - Get volunteers to manage/mod Open Uru/CWE forums.
[ ]Forums; JWPlatt - Create Open Uru/CWE management group and set mod permissions.

IMMEDIATELY PRIOR TO ANNOUNCEMENT

[ *]Forums: JWPlatt - Change registrations from admin to user validation.
Forums; JWPlatt - Lock existing CWE threads.
[B*]Forums; JWPlatt - Unlock all CWE forums except Server (maybe unlock server forum too).
[B*]Assets: JWPlatt - Upload CWE Auth and Game files to assets.openuru.org/Cyan

POST-ANNOUNCEMENT

[ ]Community: ? - Post OU announcement on GoMe and MOUL, stating complete info will be available soon (as we catch up to implementing live changes).

[ ]Foundry: rarified - Progressive enable of read access to CWE by Account (devs first?) to throttle load.
[ ]Foundry: rarified - Mercurial permissions UI for top-down permissions (Cyan ownership).

[ *]Domain: Mac_Fife - Set page meta data for CyanWorlds.com Engine - MMOG client, server and tools

[ ]wikiCMS: JWPlatt - Set to use new wiki database

[ ]Wiki: JWPlatt - Redirect production wiki to Squee wiki database.
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife, JWPlatt - Insert open source news with page link for development info in Main Page.
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife, cjkell1, JWPlatt - Create development page and post prepared text
[ *]wiki: cjkelly1 - Write page describing how to build the CWE client using VC6/MSVC2003
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Add links on Cyan source page to server auth and game files for download
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Post FAQs
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Add Foundry Tools section to top of Development menu page. Still needs Crucible listed.
[ *]wiki: JWPlatt, Mac_Fife - Add CWE project page

[ *]Forums: JWPlatt - Rename "Open Source & Infrastructure Projects" to "Open Uru Infrastructure Projects"
[ ]Forums: JWPlatt - Move "OpenUru" forum to CWE, S, & T ??
[ ]Forums: JWPlatt - Move "Wireshark Plugin For Uru Client Protocol" forum to CWE, S, & T section
[ ]Forums: JWPlatt - Set permissions on CWE forums for guests (read), members (r/w), mods, management, etc.
[ *]Forums: JWPlatt - Post reference to Q&A/FAQ on wiki

[ ]Social: JWPlatt - Get announcement out to Wikipedia, Blog, Twitter, Facebook etc.
[ ]Social: JWPlatt - http://freshmeat.net/, click on Submit at top, fill out form announcing new project

DOWN THE ROAD, WHEN APPROPRIATE

[ ]Domain: JWPlatt - Create legal entity
[ ]Domain: JWPlatt - Create OU governance structure
[ ]Domain: JWPlatt - Create succession plan
Last edited by JWPlatt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: 3/31 update with Mac's color-coding to highlight incomplete blockers
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Re: ToDo: ToDo

Post by Mac_Fife »

Wow, that's one lengthy list. But I had a sense that a lot of the wiki/documentation pages you propose would be on there.

One thing that isn't there that I started on today was a statement on Copyrights for the non-project aspects: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... Copyrights.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

[ *]wiki: Mac_Fife - Create OpenUru.org copyrights page.
Added. I'll fix things in the text as we move along.

Also revised,
[ *]Wiki: Mac_Fife - Create CyanWorlds category
rarified

Post by rarified »

:shock:

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Regarding the Q&A - Why have it in both the forum AND the wiki? Why not just put it on the wiki and create a redirect thread on the forum to wiki page, but create a Q&A Discussion thread for any new things that people want to raise. That would seem cleaner to me.

Secondary thought: Is it worth adopting the kind of convention used on some forums to categorize certain types of thread in the thread title? On some forums, the admins will make an informational post, lock it and then create a separate thread for discussion, so you'd get "Forum Rules (locked)" and "[Discuss] Forum Rules", then you could have things like "[Discuss] Cyan Worlds Engine - Q&A", "[Solved] Can't build CWE client on Win 7", etc.

Tertiary thought: Do we have sufficient moderation cover? There's a good chance we'll need to be patrolling the wiki as well as the forums. :?
Mac_Fife
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Wiki: Write SSL cert instructions per browser

This is "done" - perhaps not complete (I haven't written anything on Opera or SVN), but there's enough there that it shouldn't be a blocker now.

Forums: Rename "Lorem Ipsum" section to "Open Uru"
Forums; Rename "Lorem Ipsum Info" forum to "Information", set #2
Forums; Rename "Lorem Ipsum Alpha" forum to "Management", set #1
Forums; Rename "Lorem Ipsum Beta" forum to "CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin", set #5
Forums; Rename "Lorem Ipsum Gamma" forum to "CyanWorlds.com Engine - Servers", set #3, lock and hide
Forums; Rename "Lorem Ipsum Delta Mos Eisley" forum to "MOSS", set #4

What is stopping this happening now - I thought we were confident nothing was escaping here?

Does Crucible need it's own entry on the Foundry section of the Development menu?
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

rarified, do you think Crucible needs it's own entry on the Foundry section of the Development menu? I also hope to put Crucible in terms of workflow and code review on the CWE project wiki page.

I've updated the OP for current status and how I note resource and assignee. The assignee is listed once assumed or the task is complete. Question marks or incomplete tasks are otherwise up for grabs.

I'm not going to set backups as a blocker because we have have manual backups now, and rarified has already stated Foundry is well protected. 'Automated' is the operative word here.

I've passed along your inquiries about the Game and Auth file licensing. I'll let you know when I hear back.

The thought of entering all this into JIRA en masse is scary. I might just enter the blockers.

Here are the additions:
[ ]Foundry: rarified - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ ]Wiki: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ ]Forums: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
[ ]Mantis: JWPlatt - Develop, implement and document fully automated backup plan.
CWE: Cyan - License CWE Auth and Game files.
[ ]Forums; JWPlatt - Get volunteers to manage/mod Open Uru/CWE forums.
[ ]Forums; JWPlatt - Create Open Uru/CWE management group and set mod permissions.
[ ]Forums: ? - Post reference to Q&A on wiki

Removed: [ ]Forums: ? - Write Q&A (same as wiki)
rarified

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:rarified, do you think Crucible needs it's own entry on the Foundry section of the Development menu? I also hope to put Crucible in terms of workflow and code review on the CWE project wiki page.
We do need to mention it in the workflow, but I'm not sure a seperate direct link is needed. The Fisheye link/homepage shows review launch points as well as browsing links.

I'd like to concentrate on workflow for now, my suspicion is that Crucible will just fall into place.

_R

[Oh, I'm looking into the various JIRA CLI interfaces to help do a batch-creation of issues. CLIs/scripting to the rescue :D ]
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

[ ]Check PhysX compatibility with GPLv3.
Presumably this actually refers to the PhysX SDK, for which the license (EULA) is here: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/Ph ... 20EULA.pdf ?

The license for the PhysX SDK only allows for redistribution as part of the binary of the application, so it's completely incompatible with any OS license that requires the source to be provided. Each developer needs to register for an account at nVidia' s PhysX Developers Website in order to obtain the SDK.

Redistribution of the driver alongside the "application" is OK under it's EULA, although it's easy enough to download anyway (once you find the right link on the nVidia site).
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking to clarify. Thanks.

Return to “Management”