Client compile status

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
JWPlatt

Re: Client compile status

Post by JWPlatt »

The documentation on the wiki will need instructions on, or a link to, how to download client builds from Foundry when they are available. Probably on the CWE page, FAQ page, and Build page. This is as much a note to myself as anyone else.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'd suggest putting that on the Build page or on a page of it's own, and pointing to it from the other pages: There's no point in duplicating instructions in multiple places, and it just leads to a maintenance problem in the longer term.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

Mac_Fife wrote:I'd maybe add an intro paragraph at the top to give this a bit of "context":
I have added an intro to the page. Please let me know if it can be improved.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Looks fine to me 8-)
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

JWPlatt wrote:I will review the code (the diffs), but I won't pretend to have any order of magnitude of competence on Cyan code approaching that of a'moaca' and cjkelly1. Though I should be able to recognize whether there are any Russian Water Tentacles in there.
What makes you think we're all that knowledgeable about Cyan code? I did not see the code any sooner than you. :)
JWPlatt wrote:For the long term, we'll need a development lead to, in part, continue the review process. It is hoped that eager and qualified volunteers will be forthcoming. Any of you on the team right now is welcome to the position of your choice. ;)
For the long term, how will it be decided who is the lead? Oh. You have a whole thread for that. Okay. Short term, is it by fiat? (Let's assume someone will want to commit something in 2-3 days. Are we going to be ready?)
rarified wrote:I just initiated a review for cjkelly1's most recent changes to CWE-work. It appears to be waiting for the project "Moderator", which is currently set to Cyan. Don't know if Mark will be getting an email about it or not but I suppose for testing we shouldn't bug them yet ;) I'll take on moderator role in a little while and see what is getting sent. Have to get going on some other stuff right now.
I can't find this review. I have poked all over JIRA (yes, not in a frameset) and I can't see any reviews listed.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

a'moaca' wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:I will review the code (the diffs), but I won't pretend to have any order of magnitude of competence on Cyan code approaching that of a'moaca' and cjkelly1. Though I should be able to recognize whether there are any Russian Water Tentacles in there.
What makes you think we're all that knowledgeable about Cyan code? I did not see the code any sooner than you. :)
At the very least, you wrote a protocol analyser and a MOUL server (!). I didn't. But everyone knows your skills go much further back in history than just those things. :P
/imnotworthy
a'moaca' wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:For the long term, we'll need a development lead to, in part, continue the review process. It is hoped that eager and qualified volunteers will be forthcoming. Any of you on the team right now is welcome to the position of your choice. ;)
For the long term, how will it be decided who is the lead? Oh. You have a whole thread for that. Okay. Short term, is it by fiat? (Let's assume someone will want to commit something in 2-3 days. Are we going to be ready?)
See Chapter 4, "Social and Political Infrastructure," of "Producing Open Source Software." The link is in my ToDo. Also, the volunteer with a good idea often gets the job. ;) We'll be ready with a "CWE-review" clone to which any cwe-developer (TBD) can push their proposed changes for review which will take up some slack in the initial days. A CWE project lead/cwe-administrator (TBD) would merge them into CWE. At least, that's the current plan. I hope there will be time for community input to gather leaders. If it's me doing merges initally, I'll likely need advice. I'd ask nicely, "a'moaca' could you take a look at this?" Or maybe you and cjkelly1 should have r/w to CWE directly, if you'd like it.
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

The good news: Following the wiki, I was able to build all but two modules from CWE. Instructions were great.

The bad news: I'm missing 'WinHttp.h' from somewhere, so the plClient project, file winmain.cpp won't compile, and the plUruLauncher project, files SelfPatcher.cpp and Main.cpp fail because of a reference from Pch.h to Winhttp.h.

@cjkelly1: any idea where WinHttp.h comes from? I would have thought the IESDK platform SDK installed it, but I couldn't find it anywhere on C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\ hierarchy. Or for that matter anywhere in C:\Program Files (x86).

One hiccup isn't bad at all; now I have something I can start building the Jenkins patterns on. I'm seeing a fair number of compiler warnings on other modules, I assume you are as well. They'll show up in the build logs, and be tracked if people eliminate them (or create more).

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

winhttp.h is in the "CWE\MOULOpenSourceClientPlugin\StaticSDKs\Win32\PlatformSDK\include" directory. Cyan set it up so the platform SDK stuff must be in that directory, which actually is not a bad idea. That makes sure that no matter what you do in your development environment, it will always build with the same stuff. This makes it very important to do all the "copy stuff here" steps in the instructions.

I believe that that version of the platform SDK installs stuff in "Program Files\Microsoft SDK".

The warnings in the build do not appear to be caused by the modifications I made. I did not modify the code which is throwing those warnings, so they may be warnings that Cyan was not concerned about at the time. I had asked Mark what directives Cyan's build system uses for an external release live client, and verified that I am using only those, so it does not seem to be an incorrect directive being used, either.
Last edited by cjkelly1 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
rarified

Post by rarified »

cjkelly1 wrote:winhttp.h is in the "CWE\MOULOpenSourceClientPlugin\StaticSDKs\Win32\PlatformSDK\include" directory. Cyan set it up so the platform SDK stuff must be in that directory, which actually is not a bad idea. That makes sure that no matter what you do in your development environment, it will always build with the same stuff. This makes it very important to do all the "copy stuff here" steps in the instructions.
Yes, I assumed that. But it is not in the install location for the Platform SDK prior to the 'copy here' steps, so it never made it to Win32\PlatformSDK\include. I'm trying to find a part of the SDK installationn that I missed. I retrieved the SDK parts you pointed to, and installed the two .msi installers prior to copying. Apparently the two you suggested don't include WinHTTP.h.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

The internet sdk has that file. I will run it again to verify that I did not make an error in the instructions.

edit:
I just ran the install on a clean machine, and I am mistaken. The "IESDK-x86.msi" does not install that file. It is actually installed by the "CoreSDK-x86.msi", in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include" directory on a Windows XP SP3 box.

I am not sure why it is not installing that header file on your machine.

Return to “Management”