ToDo: Foundry Throttle / Remaining Issues

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Mac_Fife

ToDo: Foundry Throttle / Remaining Issues

Post by Mac_Fife »

Code: Select all

[ ]Wiki: ? - Add Foundry Tools section to top of Development menu page. Still needs Crucible listed.
I think this is done. The conclusion seemed to be that Crucible didn't need an entry point of it's own : viewtopic.php?p=3690#p3690

I'm just picking off little bits and pieces as find time - most are trivial, but it doesn't look like I can be a lot of help on any of the things that are marked as Blockers just now :(
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed capitals in title
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Re: ToDo: ToDo

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, I have that task marked complete on my local copy since the last update. Though Crucible should have its own entry after Fisheye. I just didn't do that myself yet because the Links and Foundry columns look so nice being equal in length. ;)
Perfect speed is being there.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Ok, I see two blockers in my list:

[B ]Repo: rarified - Implement throttle for initial pulls of CWE (By IP? By account?)
[B ]Repo: rarified - Provide stats on pulls, pushes, clones, forks.
I think stats will fall out if I get RhodeCode working, which depends on updating python on the foundry to 2.7. Underway, but getting SSL integrated is being difficult. Need larger hammer ;) CWE gurus, how sensitive is Cyan code (build and/or execution) to python version? I seem to remember it being based on 2.3; I also seem to recall a version of Python being embedded within the CWE wad.

Throttling is more a procedural item than technology right now. I'd suggest putting together a wiki page (OU or Foundry) with the "current" username list waiting for Hg access. I can then highlight the top N that are now enabled as people clone their copies, and remove those who appear to have finished (they'll keep their access from then on). We can immediately open fisheye for folks to browse (not a b/w issue) while they wait to float to the top. It's hand work, but probably only for the first 24 hours.

Any discussion?

_R

[oh, has anyone checked out a new copy of CWE since the ISP upgrade? How long is it taking?]
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

There was also this:

[B ]MOSS: rarified - Build on Hudson/Jenkins.
;)

Or do you have things building already? I didn't check.

I think I'd prefer the forums for the Foundry account name list. Not the wiki because the list is of temporary existence. Not Foundry because folks are likely more familiar with forums and they'll want to be polling the notice; the forums are on a bigger pipe. If you have a better rationale, please do offer it. We should have links to that list, however, in the wiki's CWE page and other handy places. Perhaps reserve Fisheye access for when you can see that it won't hurt load while cloning is still happening.

I cloned CWE and CWE-work. They each took about 2.5 minutes to complete. Not all of that was download. Seemed fast. Seemed too fast, like it should take at least ten minutes for every year we've waited for April 5th; Christmas is over in a quick flurry of shredded wrapping paper. But now the play begins. ;)
rarified

Post by rarified »

JWPlatt wrote:There was also this:

[B ]MOSS: rarified - Build on Hudson/Jenkins.
;)

Or do you have things building already? I didn't check.
*sigh* didn't catch that one. Will put it on the worklist. Mind is somewhat mushy right now. Need. Sleep.

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:I think I'd prefer the forums for the Foundry account name list.
I think I'd be inclined to agree - it presents a natural way for people to add themselves to the request queue. There is a slight risk that someone's request might be overlooked, but if we can put in a top post to summarize account statuses and explain that the thread is only for Foundry access requests and that any other posts will be removed, then there's less chance of missing a request in the middle of chat.
Mac_Fife
rarified

Post by rarified »

Forums would be good for requests due to the self-serve nature. I proposed the wiki to track status as it is easily edited and a fixed location to go for current status. Can we edit the first post in the forum thread repeatedly with status?

_R
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

It depends on how JW has the permissions set - Usually, if you create the first post, then you should be able to edit it freely. JW will be able to edit it via his admin account and my "global moderator" status will allow me to edit it too, which should give us the necessary cover.

I guess we could use the wiki if we felt it was worth keeping a permanent record of Foundry account holders, but I feel the value would only be transient. Additionally, it's probably going to be the case that a forum post will be faster to update.

I'm a little unclear on how this is all tying in with Crowd right now - When someone gets a repo account set up will that automatically trigger an email to them, or is there still a lot manual activity? Do they need to setup a JIRA account before requesting repo access?
Mac_Fife
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Let's not make people apply for the repo here, although they certainly could post their request anyway. Let it be implicit with their new account on JIRA. We can build the list ourselves as the accounts come into JIRA, in a "CyanWorlds.com Engine Foundry Access" thread rarified should create here in Management. Then those account owners can check here. This way, people who don't see our notices could still come back in a while with the repo automagically enabled for them without having done anything special. You can create that thread here at any time, rarified.

Unlike MOUL's phpBB2 moderated post lock MODification, phpBB3 does not automatically lock a post when edited by an admin or moderator. There's a "Lock post [Prevent editing]" checkbox that makes it optional. So yes, it can be repeatedly edited by mods or the OP.
Last edited by JWPlatt on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Split topic from main ToDo thread
JWPlatt

Re: ToDo: Foundry Throttle / Remaining Issues

Post by JWPlatt »

I've posted documentation here and on the wiki CWE page about how we're handling the throttle and how to get the download.

Return to “Management”