How do I pull the CWE Repository?

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
rarified

Re: CyanWorlds.com Engine Respository Account Queue

Post by rarified »

Ryan,

Somewhere the contents of your mercurial setup file are corrupt. You see the name of that file in the error message:

Code: Select all

Tortoise Hg Error
Error string " =
32:1b:b2:1c:9a:fe:d9:17:b0:78:76:ea:87:68:ad:1a:34:ab:a8:8e"
at C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan James\mercurial.ini:2
Please edit your config
Let's first get that fixed up. Here's what my mercurial.ini file looks like:

Code: Select all

# Generated by TortoiseHg setting dialog

[ui]
username = rarified

[tortoisehg]
stderrcapt = True

[auth]
foundry.openuru.org.prefix = foundry.openuru.org
foundry.openuru.org.username = rarified
foundry.openuru.org.password = XXXXXX

[hostfingerprints]
foundry.openuru.org = 32:1b:b2:1c:9a:fe:d9:17:b0:78:76:ea:87:68:ad:1a:34:ab:a8:8e
Yours should look substantially similar except for the username. If not, use a text editor such as wordpad to open the file C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan James\mercurial.ini and change your file to look like mine, and substitute in your username for 'rarified'. It appears twice, don't miss the second one. Change the password entry from XXXXXX to your JIRA password, and finally save the fixed file.

Then, let's start from scratch. You don't need an initially empty directory. Let's start on your desktop. If you right click on the desktop, you should see among the various items to select, a "TortoiseHg" choice that has subchoices. Hover over TortoiseHg to open the subchoices, and select "Clone...".

You'll get a new window asking for a Source and Destination. The Source currently will be the name of the directory associated with your desktop. Replace Source with "http://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE".

The Destination is where to create the clone. Let's put it in a subfolder on your desktop. The default value there should again be the name of your desktop directory. Append "\CWE" to the end of that path, to create a "CWE" directory on your desktop.

Now click "Clone". TortoiseHg will prompt for your username, and then your password. After that you'll see the progress window pulling down the copy of the repository. When it's complete, TortoiseHg will exit quietly if there were no errors, but you will now have a new folder "CWE" on your desktop, which contains a local copy of the repository (and all of the files in the repository will be placed in the proper locations in that subfolder where you can look at them).

Give this a try.
_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Septarius

Post by Septarius »

When you click on the Padlock icon the window that pops up does it say "Host: foundry.openuru.org" at the top?
I just rewrote the instructions there so I could have missed something but from your explanation you followed it but it gave you a different result.

Aha I think I figured out what it did to you: when you put the path in you hadn't selected https in the box first when you did it moved the "https://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE" over to the last box and gave you the error on the security screen. That's an odd functionality on TortoiseHg's part.

Remove what is in the third box and put foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE in the first box (without the https:// right next to the padlock icon. Then try to redue the Query step.

I will make sure that this is clarified on the steps.

If this still doesn't work you can PM me and I will work through it more.

EDIT Ah beat me. Oh well
Septarius
AKA Noga56 on the Cyan MOUL forums
RYANSUPERGENIUS1123

Post by RYANSUPERGENIUS1123 »

Awesome, it worked!! Thanks, "rarified". It helped alot. I really appreciate it. Now, is there something else I have to put the files in, now that I have them, so by the time MOULa gets replaced by MOSS, it'll be ready to be played? And what day and month will MOSS be released? MOSS won't cost money to play will it? And when MOSS gets released, will the Minkata sparklie be fixed? And will there be a revelation of what the reward for collecting Bahro wedges was gonna be when Uru Live first came out years ago? And do u know if there will be more pods in the pod age to be released? And will there be access to more city districts (including the J'taeri District) and neighborhoods (including Seret)? And is it possible that the ages from the Until Uru shard (and from Drizzle) will be in MOSS? Just curious.
RYANSUPERGENIUS1123

And by the time there's another reply, please keep the reply intact on this page for a few days, cuz I'm gonna be gone for the weekend, and I wanna read it by the time I'm back. Thanks.
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

I am going to try to answer some of these questions.
Now, is there something else I have to put the files in, now that I have them, so by the time MOULa gets replaced by MOSS, it'll be ready to be played?
You have all the files you need. It is source code, though, so they need to be compiled. Compiling turns the source code into those .exe files that the machine actually runs. The CWE source files will make the UruExplorer.exe and UruLauncher.exe that run on Windows when they are compiled. This is referred to as the "client". I would recommend that you use a pre-compiled client. That is the easiest thing to do if you are not going to be doing any development.

The MOSS source files will make the same kind of files for a Unix type system (Linux, etc.), and they also need to be compiled. MOSS is the part that the "client" talks to, and it is what saves things, and passes information amongst all the "clients", so that when you jump, others see you jump, and when you use doors and such, others see that. This is part is referred to as the "server", or "shard". They basically mean the same thing.
And what day and month will MOSS be released? MOSS won't cost money to play will it?
MOSS is released. What you are probably wanting to know is when can you use MOSS, and the answer is when someone installs it on a server, or when you install it on your own server. MOSS does not cost any money and will not ever cost any money. It is free.
And when MOSS gets released, will the Minkata sparklie be fixed?
The Minkata sparklie is not a problem with the server. It is a problem in the data file on your client. We do not currently have a license from Cyan to modify and distribute those files, but when it is possible to do so, the Uru development community already knows of the problem and can fix it.
And will there be a revelation of what the reward for collecting Bahro wedges was gonna be when Uru Live first came out years ago?
And do u know if there will be more pods in the pod age to be released?
And will there be access to more city districts (including the J'taeri District) and neighborhoods (including Seret)? And is it possible that the ages from the Until Uru shard (and from Drizzle) will be in MOSS? Just curious.
These are all content related questions. They do not have anything to do with the CWE or with MOSS.

On the matter of ages, it depends on who has the copyright on the ages. As far as the Cyan ages go, we have not been given a license to modify nor distribute, so you probably will not see additions to the city. You will see ages that the Uru community has written, if the person running the MOSS server installs them.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Septarius wrote:EDIT I have edited the above section. I have images if anyone thinks that they could make it better. I didn't want to bother anyone to get them uploaded unless it was necessary.
I don't mind uploading the images - "A picture paints a thousand words" - I'll PM you details of a temporary transfer location you can upload to later on (i.e. once I get home from work and can look up the details myself!). It makes me wonder if I should collect images for the other instructions on that page :)

I made a couple of minor format/punctuation changes to your notes, but that looks like a good update, thanks.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
RYANSUPERGENIUS1123

Re: How do I pull the CWE Repository?

Oh I see. Interesting. Thanks for helping me understand some things, and helping me understand things I misunderstood. Well, how can I install MOSS on a server? And what is a server? Is Cyan Worlds gonna create a server soon to make it easier to access, or do I just have to wait for a member of this site to create a server with it installed? Or whatever it takes, please give me details, like if people are working on a server that's more official that'll come out soon, or whether it'll always only work if someone creates their own server and installs it their self. Or if there's a way already provided to use it, please give me details on whatever steps it takes for me to be able to use it. Sorry if all these things I'm saying seems weird or annoying. I'm autistic, and I can be naive in some ways, but still intelligent and am good at algebra and geometry. And I'm really good at video games, and at setting up computers, and can take a computer apart and put it back together, and can assemble things really good, like putting computer chairs together, putting tables and dressers and other furniture together, etc. The only problems I have is having difficulties explaining certain things, using common sense (in some cases), and paying attention to certain things, and some other things. And I really wish I knew how to use programming codes for creating ages for Uru shards, and I wish I also knew programming codes for designing a shell in Ahra Pahts. If anyone knows sources that'll help me learn some codes and other things that'll teach me the basics, please give some examples of helpful things u can recommend to me. Thanks. And please be sure to give me the details to installing MOSS on a server (whatever "server" means), and examples of servers that'll be easy to install it on. Thanks. Or if a main administrator doesn't allow giving such information, then please let me know, and if that's the case, then if there's any loopholes that can allow anyone to recommend me websites that I can join and register, and can ask the questions on there to find the answers to that, please do so. Thanks.
rarified

Re: How do I pull the CWE Repository?

Post by rarified »

Hello again, Ryan

I hope I don't discourage you too much in this response, but your questions cover such a large number of topics that it would be impractical to answer some of them one message at a time. Your enthusiasm is obvious and I really would encourage you to seek out a school close to you where you can work face to face with teachers that can help you discover this wonderful field of programming.

I can answer some of the straightforward questions. First, What is a server?

A server is simply a computer. But it is a computer that isn't used like the one you're accessing websites on. It usually is a computer with information stored on it that many other people, using their own computers, want to access. So some special programs (like MOSS, in this case) would be running on the server computer, expecting to communicate with other computers. (You are actually using your computer right now to access a server over the internet that is located at OpenUru.org. That server contains the pages and images your browser, as well as anyone elses browser, is showing when you go to OpenUru.org.) Sometimes servers just share the same information, sometimes servers help lots of other computers tell each other what other computers are doing. MOSS is a program doing the second function; when you play Uru, the program on your computer (Uru) is both showing you where you are on your computer's display, and "telling" the game server over the network where you are, so other game players can see you on their computers, since those computers are also talking to the same game server as you.

Just like you and your friends can all get a copy of Uru and run it on many computers, MOSS could be run on several servers at the same time, each one containing information about all of the players using that server. Part of the Uru program that is running on your computer has the name of one particular game server to use when playing the game. All copies of Uru that come from the mystonline.com website have the name of the same game server, so everyone is playing the same game. To make use of the new software that has just become available like CWE and MOSS,) you have to do some planning. One computer will have to have MOSS installed on it. Then parts of CWE have to be changed to know the name of the computer that runs MOSS. Once that is done, anyone using that particular copy of CWE will be playing in an Uru world, but instead of seeing people using the program downloaded from mystonline.com, you will only be seeing people using the new copy of CWE. That's because the new server doesn't know anything about the other server helping players from mystonline.com.

Does that help you understand what a server is and what it does?

The problem right now is that we don't know how CWE and MOSS will be used. The files you downloaded from OpenUru.org are not programs that will run on your computer without translating them into files your computer understands. Like what you describe about putting together furniture, we need the directions for putting those files together the right way so that they work together. (Remember I mentioned above that the Uru program had the name of the server computer stored in the Uru program? Thats one part of the instructions I'm talking about). Those instructions are not available yet in a way that is easy for anyone to assemble the pieces. And since some of those missing pieces are the names of computers people are willing to run MOSS on that can allow themselves and perhaps others to play in the same Uru world, we have to wait until people are willing to offer to let you or me use the servers they have set up. Right now, neither Cyan nor OpenUru have plans to run a MOSS server for people to use (at least to the best of my knowledge.)

I wouldn't worry though. You're seeing just the very beginning of when people are looking at CWE and MOSS, and those people are thinking about these very questions. I'm pretty sure there are generous people out there that are planning to run servers, and some of those people will let others play using their servers. At this stage I think your best bet is to keep checking back on these forums to see if that has happened. When it does happen, there will be instructions written about what you have to do to install a special copy of CWE to play using their server.

I hope this helps. If I thought there were a small set of web sites that could get you going I'd put a list here, but I personally don't think a web site is the best way for you to learn this stuff. It's better done in an environment where you can talk to a teacher and get answers immediately, because each question that you learn an answer about will cause you to think of another question right away. And a teacher can start to understand how you learn and steer you to do work that will cover things you find hard to understand and make you better at them.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “Management”