Incompatibility of OpenUru.org and H-uru CWE repositories

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
a'moaca'

Re: Incompatibility of OpenUru.org and H-uru CWE repositorie

Post by a'moaca' »

Hoikas wrote:I didn't ask for my code to be reviewed by non-Plasma developers. Ironically, the only way I would know that any of you (JWP, a'moaca') are programmers
Wow. Thanks for all the backhanded insults. What did I do to deserve that?

I looked at the change because I was curious. I looked at it because there was a problem in testing (which was not due to your change). I thought you had done some nice research based on the comment. Oh, and by the way, we were testing it because we were curious what all it fixed.

Pardon me for respecting what you did or learning anything from you. I simply had no idea it was so rude of me. I did not know caring about Uru required your express advance permission and special proof that I am a programmer!

Or maybe, if others are not supposed to look at or think about your code because they are not "Plasma developers" you should not check it into a public repository. Otherwise, I will continue to read and think about whatever I like. Most open source developers don't consider it a personal attack when people read their code...

- a'moaca'
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

If you will read farther down in my post, you will realize that I am not insulting you actually (I am impressed that you wrote a MOUL server--I know that it's not easy from practice). I am merely expressing my disappointment in how little Plasma development work has happened here, especially considering this should be the core location for Plasma development. Anyway, I'm not amused that you outright attacked me like some kind of common MOUL forum troll.

If you personally still feel insulted, then please accept my apologies. The post was worded a bit poorly and admittedly sounded somewhat trollish. I ask that you keep my intended message in mind, not the delivery.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Your actual message was quite clear. You don't want anyone reading your code unless they are properly qualified and I'm not, server notwithstanding. That's what you said. You're the one who came out of the gate swinging. All I did was read your code.

- a'moaca'

P.S. I'm done with this now.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

[Mod hat on]
a'moaca' wrote:P.S. I'm done with this now.
Good. I'd much rather we all use whatever time and energy we have constructively. We seem to be getting somewhere with this thread and I'd much rather it doesn't get derailed.
[Mod hat off]
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Whilyam

Post by Whilyam »

Notice how the legitimate complaints about Open Uru was lost in the rush to dramatize? Platt ignored the complaints and a'moaca' turned Hoikas' post into a straw man and likewise missed the point. I wish people would stop making new drama. A'moaca', I hope that you will believe Hoikas when he says he didn't mean to insult you.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Hoikas wrote:I am merely expressing my disappointment in how little Plasma development work has happened here, especially considering this should be the core location for Plasma development.
This is a fantastic statement, especially coming from Adam. I am encouraged.

I am listening, Whilyam. But I will address some of Adam's complaints more through action, as requested, than words and instead tend to the topic at hand - repo compatibility. That's what this thread is about so I'd rather not get distracted by some dust up. Mac and I have discussed Adam's other concerns. Upon rarified's return I'll need to get with him about making a more visible and usable process. Adam's point about that is extremely well taken.
Perfect speed is being there.
Whilyam

Post by Whilyam »

JWPlatt wrote:I am listening, Whilyam. But I will address some of Adam's complaints more through action, as requested, than words and instead tend to the topic at hand - repo compatibility. That's what this thread is about so I'd rather not get distracted by some dust up. Mac and I have discussed Adam's other concerns. Upon rarified's return I'll need to get with him about making a more visible and usable process. Adam's point about that is extremely well taken.
That's good to hear, though I would suggest a good course of action would be to outline what you're planning so you can receive feedback now rather than once a lot of work has gone into something.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

JWPlatt wrote:
Hoikas wrote:I am merely expressing my disappointment in how little Plasma development work has happened here, especially considering this should be the core location for Plasma development.
This is a fantastic statement, especially coming from Adam. I am encouraged.

I am listening, Whilyam. But I will address some of Adam's complaints more through action, as requested, than words and instead tend to the topic at hand - repo compatibility. That's what this thread is about so I'd rather not get distracted by some dust up. Mac and I have discussed Adam's other concerns. Upon rarified's return I'll need to get with him about making a more visible and usable process. Adam's point about that is extremely well taken.
That is good to hear, JW 8-).
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

I know this is tangential but I'd rather not start a seperate thread. It's not Adam's or anybody else at the GoW's job to do this - but it might be an idea to get the people writing the code to at least propose an ideal system that they'd like to see - and even if they've already made it before, compile it into a big forum topic or document. Especially as the best cure for arguments is cooperation, especially if Adam and the GoW as a whole do want to work with OU.

Looking at this thread and earlier ones with a bit of perspective, it's clear that trust needs to be given a little freer both for stuff like code review and the functionality of the website. If groups like the GoW are happy with their code review structure, I'd say that you should trust that code review in good faith, at least until a formal code review structure that every side is happy with is set up. In turn, the people who are reviewing this code in other places should make sure they're always vigilant in turn so that good faith has no cause to erode. Good faith now is better than no developers later.

Just my two cents. I'm pleased to see that there's a more positive tone on this thread than before. :p
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR

Return to “Management”