Incompatibility of OpenUru.org and H-uru CWE repositories

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Whilyam

Re: Incompatibility of OpenUru.org and H-uru CWE repositorie

Post by Whilyam »

Nye_Sigismund wrote:I know this is tangential but I'd rather not start a seperate thread. It's not Adam's or anybody else at the GoW's job to do this - but it might be an idea to get the people writing the code to at least propose an ideal system that they'd like to see - and even if they've already made it before, compile it into a big forum topic or document. Especially as the best cure for arguments is cooperation, especially if Adam and the GoW as a whole do want to work with OU.
Isn't that what this topic is about? An ideal system the GoW wants to see used and an attempt at cooperation?
rarified

Post by rarified »

Whilyam wrote:Isn't that what this topic is about? An ideal system the GoW wants to see used and an attempt at cooperation?
Yes, but more on the technical/implementation side of the equation rather than the process. But the topic does need to be started on how to use the facilities to get things done, and I suspect that topic is nearly ready to make an appearance. ;)

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
DarK

Post by DarK »

rarified wrote:I suspect that topic is nearly ready to make an appearance
It was started a while back

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=565

I'll make more of an effort to get this moving if needed - see the last post on that thread by me, I have a short time between now and when I need to move on to other things, where I can read and build another set of DFD's.

If you can muck in on that thread and pass comment on the outline, and give some more in-depth process information it would be apreciated.
kaelisebonrai

Post by kaelisebonrai »

And before that even, here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=518
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

My suggestions for contributing to the OpenURU repository, as suggested by Nye...

My first suggestion is not a suggestion--it's a requirement. I won't work with people who have a history of hijacking forum accounts and especially not when they openly admit they have many aliases and only use one until it outlives its usefulness. We have one of those people here. I encourage you to deny this untrustworthy person any sort of influence before you find yourself "pwned" as the saying goes.

My second suggestion--ease of use. Right now, it's not easy to use the OpenURU repository nor is it easy to contribute code. What I would like to see is a pull request system much like there is on github. Had we been involved earlier on in the decision process, I imagine some of us would have suggested a local copy of gitorious to be installed. That way, the code would be in our hands, we would be able to keep a fork that is "Cyan-compatible," and be able to do pull requests. Unfortunately, that is not the case, so we've got to come up with something else to keep contributions sane. The currently proposed plans of different branches of the repository is not exactly "sane" from a contributor standpoint nor from a DVCS user standpoint. What you guys have come up with is a centralized model much like what happens in subversion. This model has made the PyPRP 1 repository essentially unusable at this point (so many patches in so many different random contribs...). On the other hand, DVCSes are all about pulling from the project master, doing development work in your own fork, issuing pull requests, review, then merging the contributed code back into the project master. DVCS makes it easy to have a cyan-compat fork (not a branch) and a community-dev fork, which would be collection of accepted contributions deemed stable and relevant. On the approval of Cyan, things could be pulled in from the original source (the contributors' forks) to the cyan fork. TL;DR--no SVN-style branches. Allow pull requests. Use forks.

My third suggestion--Don't make the Atlassian tools mandatory. Anytime I use them I feel like I am wielding a sledgehammer in order to nail in a finishing nail. (For those of you who have never seen a finishing nail) They're also unbearably slow. :\

My fourth suggestion--Do some work yourselves... I've already ranted on this and the point was either taken, ignored, or selectively read as an attack. I won't rant on it anymore for now.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, and Windows has messed up my keyboard layout somehow, so typing is becoming tiresome ;)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks, Adam. I've read your suggestions and we are going to resume what I hope are quick discussions toward a quick solution put into action. I don't want to speak out of turn, so I will defer for now to when ChristianWalther and/or rarified post. I don't want this to extend into a lengthy debate about little things that wastes all our time beyond some simple points, alternatives and then decisions. We'll try to keep it uncomplicated (which I think some of your suggestions are aimed at). But I hope you'll understand that we might offer solutions we don't like in order to see if folks can convince us we should, or solutions we do like in order to see if others can convince us we shouldn't. Maybe we'll find something all of us like, but maybe there will be a compromise where everyone only likes most things, but not all. That's just how things work sometimes with people of different points of view. So please understand that our initial ideas are options, not decisions. The tone and direction of the discussion should work naturally toward the action you seek. We'll need your input and I hope you'll stay to offer it.
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Sounds good to me... Like I said, I don't expect for all of my suggestions to be implemented.

Fun fact: I argued against git until I was blue in the face ;)
DarK

Post by DarK »

Hoikas wrote:My suggestions for contributing to the OpenURU repository, as suggested by Nye...

My first suggestion is not a suggestion--it's a requirement. I won't work with people who have a history of hijacking forum accounts and especially not when they openly admit they have many aliases and only use one until it outlives its usefulness. We have one of those people here. I encourage you to deny this untrustworthy person any sort of influence before you find yourself "pwned" as the saying goes.
On the incident, it was not a Hi-Jacking; it was done with the full understanding of the person involved. I made clear in the posting who was actually responding at the time, and any deception was revealed by me!

After the incident I reconciled and apologised unreservedly to the persons account I was using. I realised that I had reached a state where I could not see an inch in front of my own nose of what I was doing

It was an adolescent act, which affected the wrong people – the fact that you keep bringing it up makes no balance on the past. I corrected the situation with the people I felt I needed to at the time, and they consider the situation at close.

Additionally, I have only ever appeared in Uru as DarK, and I do not hide behind other aliases. To appear as another alias would be to hide from my past – clearly I am not doing that.

I could have appeared as anyone else and you would not have known who I was or that you would have had the opportunity to pop your accusations at me.

In regards to your comment “as suggested by Nye...” If you like, I can make my PM’s with Nye and related PM’s public for you, it all depends on whether you have the selective version from Nye, or have read the full script.

I stand by my comments made there because you are demonstrating that you do act on hearsay and rumour, and I am not impressed by this pointless accusation that I cannot be trusted.

I have done nothing wrong by you – and do not expect this treatment from someone I have had no prior contact with past the line:
Hoikas wrote: <Hoikas> Oh... who let the troll in?
It’s taken me an evening to perform an analysis on freely generated text, generate a DFD based on the text that explains it in context and ask some questions to fill in the gaps.

I also had to respond to a rant by someone who I’ve never had any contact with and is randomly popping attacks at my reputation – it’s a waste of my time – and for anyone who has had to read this post!

I have chosen to spend some of my spare time contributing to Uru, I am here to contribute to the project in any way I can. I expect to be treated with some respect, I will grant you the same respect in return, when you initially start to show some towards me.

To that end I kindly ask you to adjust your attitude and keep your accusations to yourself!

A thread on OpenUru is not the place for this, but your post warranted a response from me, apologies go to JW and others for this – this is not the atmosphere that is needed.
“Obviously with the changing community climate a lot of people there might have been disagreements with in the past on things are going to find themselves working together now”
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

DarK wrote:In regards to your comment “as suggested by Nye...” If you like, I can make my PM’s with Nye and related PM’s public for you, it all depends on whether you have the selective version from Nye, or have read the full script.
Hey hey hey - I do not give PMs or details from PM conversations I have had to other people without the permission of the person I was originally talking to, if I'm right in thinking that you're saying I was giving info to Hoikas.

I don't claim to be inside Hoikas' mind, reading his thoughts, but judging by what Hoikas wrote above, he was responding to my suggestion for the GoW to put up some details of what they'd like to see. Makes life a whole lot easier if everyone knows what everyone else actually is looking for.

@Whil, btw - I think deep down in the depths of this thread, the original point was that the GoW fork broke the history of the repo? And then Christian did some work to fix the history so that the Git repository is properly grounded. I think. I'm not all that hot at repositories.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Severely off topic.

Apology accepted. Make it mean something.

That's the end of it here, one way or another. You had your say. Anything further goes to PM or gets modded out, but I suggest that even PMs won't lead to anything good. You'll just wreck good progress. I'm eager to give some tolerance to everyone in good faith to stop this now and move on. I'm hoping that's a good example that will be followed. To be clear, please do not even respond to this post about it. It's done.

Back on topic.
Perfect speed is being there.

Return to “Management”