Licence violations and incompatibilities

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Mac_Fife

Re: Licence violations and incompatibilities

Post by Mac_Fife »

Stucuk wrote:...They arn't using the version of URU they released to the public...
True, but therein lies another set of problems: The current public release of the MOULa client does include some recent fan contributed changes: Some initiated (just) prior to the Open Source release but not incorporated until after, and some that were submitted fully under the Open Source principle. The latter at least create an issue under the GPL linking anomaly we're discussing here. Those changes were all incorporated for good reasons, and it would look like a pretty backward step to remove those at this stage.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I would appreciate it if anyone from the GoW could, before I work on it this weekend, summarize the libraries you believe need GPLv3 exceptions to distribute the client and plugin builds to make sure we're including them.

Thanks.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

You already have my notes on this, JW: Be sure to highlight the other points that Paradox raised in the OP here, regarding the files that have been mismarked or otherwise need additional attention beyond simply the GPL exclusion clause.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

nVidia PhysX SDK, Bink, OpenSSL, and Autodesk 3ds Max SDK are the ones that we need.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

In a post, Paradox writes, "PhysX cannot be linked against the GPL (any version of it) with an exclusion."

Is that a typo on "with" (instead of "without"), or can you explain the reasoning?

Also, is the following a complete list of what has been found?
Paradox wrote:... Cyan used 3rd party code in Plasma under a licence like the MIT licence, but then copy-pasted a GPLv3 header on all the files when the code was released.
In particular, PubUtilLib/plWinStrBlock/strblock.h and PubUtilLib/plWinStrBlock/strblock.cpp are copyright by Microsoft.
Also the files in FeatureLib/pfStackTrace (such as pfStackTrace.cpp, pfPrintStackTrace.cpp, and pfMapFile.h) are copyright by Jani Kajala, who also demands that the copyright notice be made visible in all supporting documentation.

There's also two classes in PubUtilLib/plWndCtrls (basewnd and webhost) that have the following comment:
Stolen from: http://www.mvps.org/user32/webhost.cab
No copyright notices, so I assume it's public domain -Colin
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

JWPlatt wrote:In a post, Paradox writes, "PhysX cannot be linked against the GPL (any version of it) with an exclusion."

Is that a typo on "with" (instead of "without"), or can you explain the reasoning?
That would indeed be a typo--"without" is the intended word. An exception/exclusion would allow us to link with PhysX without violating nVidia's EULA nor the GPL.
Also, is the following a complete list of what has been found?
Paradox wrote:... Cyan used 3rd party code in Plasma under a licence like the MIT licence, but then copy-pasted a GPLv3 header on all the files when the code was released.
In particular, PubUtilLib/plWinStrBlock/strblock.h and PubUtilLib/plWinStrBlock/strblock.cpp are copyright by Microsoft.
Also the files in FeatureLib/pfStackTrace (such as pfStackTrace.cpp, pfPrintStackTrace.cpp, and pfMapFile.h) are copyright by Jani Kajala, who also demands that the copyright notice be made visible in all supporting documentation.

There's also two classes in PubUtilLib/plWndCtrls (basewnd and webhost) that have the following comment:
Stolen from: http://www.mvps.org/user32/webhost.cab
No copyright notices, so I assume it's public domain -Colin
To my knowledge, that is all that has been found.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I want to be careful to objectively match our understanding with yours without "leading the witness."
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Hoikas wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:In a post, Paradox writes, "PhysX cannot be linked against the GPL (any version of it) with an exclusion."

That would indeed be a typo--"without" is the intended word. An exception/exclusion would allow us to link with PhysX without violating nVidia's EULA nor the GPL.
*sigh* Of course I always make these typos when the language needs to be explicitly clear and precise :roll:

Yes, I meant "without".
Dot

Post by Dot »

As an aside and possibly of interest, one of the opensource SL/OpenSim viewers, Imprudence, seems to be going through a similar process. See Why doesn’t Imprudence have multilayers, inventory links, or mesh rendering?
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Please excuse the brevity of this and other question I might have. Thoughts and questions are implied that those familiar will understand. I want to stick to the point and be concise in the hopes of same.

PythonLib is the standard library in Python, so do you believe it’s covered under the (extended) System Libraries clause in GPLv3? (i.e., under GPLv3, “System Libraries” was expanded to include libraries that accompany “common programming languages” but which may not actually be part of the operating system).

We are considering, seperately, whether to provide a legal credit list for shard operators to include with the game binary. Such a list might consist of these from the MOULa manual. Please let us know if you believe there are errors, obviated inclusions, or omissions (besides converting AGEIA to NVIDIA):
LEGAL
-------
MYST is a registered trademark of Cyan Worlds, Inc. All rights reserved.
AGEIA-provider of the PhysX physics engine. AGEIAT and PhysXT are trademarks
of AGEIA Technologies, Inc. and are used under license.
Uses Bink Video. Copyright C1997-2006 by RAD Game Tools, Inc.
FaceGen Modeller 2.1 Singular Inversions, Inc.
Artbeats Digital Film Library Artbeats
This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for use in
the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)
Free Type The FreeType Project is copyright C 1996-2000 by David Turner,
Robert Wilhelm, and Werner Lemberg. All rights reserved.
Python Copyright C 2001, 2002 Python Software Foundation. All rights
reserved.
Boost Copyright C 2002 CrystalClear Software, inc. Permission to use, copy,
modify, distribute and sell this software for any purpose is hereby granted
without fee.
OggVorbis Copyright C 2003, Xiph.Org Foundation
Speex Copyright C 2002-2003, Jean-Marc Vlin/Xiph.Org Foundation
LibJpeg Libpng versions 1.0.7, July 1, 2000, through 1.2.5, October 3, 2002,
are Copyright C 2000-2002 Glenn Randers-
Pehrson
zLib zlib C1995-2002 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
Friends of Sironka Dance Troupe Some sounds and vocal recording provided by
the Friends of Sironka Dance Troupe, nonexclusively licensed by Cyan, used
by permission.
Burn You Up, Burn You Down performed by Peter Gabriel. Written by Peter
Gabriel, Neil Sparkes and Karl Wallinger. Published by Real World Music
Limited/Universal Music Limited. Peter Gabriel appears courtesy of Real
World Records'/ Geffen Records and EMI Records.
Last edited by JWPlatt on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Included minor explanation of GPLv3 system library history

Return to “Management”