Content Licensing

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Hoikas

Re: Content Licensing

Post by Hoikas »

JWPlatt wrote:My impression is that both issues are on the fence, waiting for the right rationale and the right time.
This sounds suspiciously like a cheap way for Cyan to get out of even considering content licensing. We were having a decent discussion here until things went quiet... I can only assume that means our ideas were unacceptable to Cyan. I'd like to know why that is and what they think would be acceptable. branan, Mac, and I can talk all day about what we think would be best and put together proposals, but without input from Cyan, we're honestly on the road to nowhere. We're not inside the minds of Cyan, so all of our proposals may very well be the definition of unacceptable.

Some random food for thought here: I thought Rand said at Mysterium that they had "nothing they wanted to hold on to" WRT to MOUL, and now I'm seeing that Cyan doesn't even want us to redistribute the files that anyone can download by running their patcher. The latter issue is confusing enough, but, ignoring that, why would Rand make such a sweeping statement and there be so little progress on the content licensing front? If there were *serious* legal issues behind the scenes that we don't know about, I think he would be intelligent enough to not make such an empty promise.

EDIT: This post sounds a bit harsh--please don't take it as a personal attack :|
branan

Post by branan »

Hoikas wrote:branan, Mac, and I can talk all day about what we think would be best and put together proposals, but without input from Cyan, we're honestly on the road to nowhere. We're not inside the minds of Cyan, so all of our proposals may very well be the definition of unacceptable.
This is, I think, the biggest point. Putting together proposals when we have no idea what Cyans' goals, concerns, and legal issues are regarding content is pointless. Until they get better at communicating their side of these issues clearly and publicly, I don't see what else we can do.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hoikas wrote:This sounds suspiciously like a cheap way for Cyan to get out of even considering content licensing.
You may be right. I can only guess at what the issues might be, although I'm sure that finding adequate time for the relevant people to think through the implications wrt Cyan's other liabilities and obligations has been a part of it.
Hoikas wrote:... I can only assume that means our ideas were unacceptable to Cyan.
I think that's a big assumption. Again, it may be right, but I'm more inclined to take it as meaning that Cyan simply don't have any answer for us at all yet :? .

On Rand's Mysterium comments, there were other things he said during that interview that I know he wasn't entirely accurate on, so I'm less inclined to take those remarks as definitive (is it heresay to disbelieve Rand? :P ). However, a thought is that while there may be nothing that Cyan wants to hold onto, we don't know what holds former backers/publishers may still have. We also don't know how much liberty Cyan may have in being allowed to discuss such matters with us.

I have a theory on all this (and somehow I missed Branan's earlier post where he suggested different licenses for ages and assets): Possibly Cyan are uncomfortable about an "open source" license on content, i.e. "open" in the conventional sense that you can use the material however you like. Maybe they want to say "Yes, we want you to have this, but we want it only to be used for MOUL/Plasma/CWE in which case you can use it freely. We don't want it to be used with any other engine or in any other context. We also don't want you messing with our age designs in a way that changes our stories or that makes us look bad". That would be a much more difficult license to construct.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

My thoughts on a next step are simple. A brief intro stating concerns and reasoning like Adam's, even if it's been said a thousand times before, about why Open Uru needs this to thrive, though I would leave out "do this or it will be hacked anyway" as unconvincing, and a question: What would it take to get content licensing and the right to serve MOULa data? That way you're not spending a lot of time on aiming at an unknown target that possibly can't be discussed outside the company anyway, and you encourage Cyan to define the conditions instead. I suppose that's a dialog. The help Deledrius asks about is to write a compelling intro. At that point, it's something that can be submitted as a team.
Perfect speed is being there.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

I was going to post here saying that Cyan had opened some kind of window for at least redistributing the PRP files, etc. But then I checked again the MOULa website and found that this text:
Developers Page wrote:The 3D models and textures that were used to create Myst Online: Uru Live will not be part of the open source license. We will probably release some of these models and textures, but under a different license than the code source. However, fan supported servers can connect to the Myst Online: Uru Live file server that has the compiled game data and then serve that data to their users.
has been edited to delete the part in bold. That would have solved the problem Hoikas raised a few posts ago.

But we can still read something in this. What I read here is that Cyan (or at least Chogon, since AFAIK he wrote that text) wants to share Uru contents to a certain degree; but apparently they are not ready yet for it.
Putting together the pieces of puzzle I have in my mind: they deleted the text because they thought that that little sentence was not enough to be a "licence" to redistribute the content files, since the community has always given importance to the licences since the beginning of Open Source, and they want to have something more formal for it, but unfotunately they don't have the time yet to write it. I don't believe they deleted that text because Cyan changed its mind on sharing the files.
Ok, this is my interpretation, I like to see the glass half full. We could use this to draw the road to our proposal.

Just my 2 cents :)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

That's a pretty good read, Leonardo.
Perfect speed is being there.
branan

Post by branan »

Mac_Fife wrote:On Rand's Mysterium comments, there were other things he said during that interview that I know he wasn't entirely accurate on, so I'm less inclined to take those remarks as definitive (is it heresay to disbelieve Rand? :P ). However, a thought is that while there may be nothing that Cyan wants to hold onto, we don't know what holds former backers/publishers may still have. We also don't know how much liberty Cyan may have in being allowed to discuss such matters with us.
If Rand misspeaks, there really should be some sort of official clarification from Cyan. Unless we're just not supposed to take what he says seriously in the first place.

Obviously I have a vested interest in seeing a fairly non-restrictive content license. But regardless of the planned story story changes, I think the UA project shows some good examples of what could be done, if only we had that license, to improve the Uru experience. We've fixed some reflections and added new hood options. We've got a small stockpile of texture updates. The purely visual fixes like textures and reflections are things we'd want to share immediately with the wider community of public (and private) shards, if distribution wasn't a problem.

The problem with doing these sorts of fixes currently is that they requires a lot of programmer/artist interaction. An artist makes a texture or model and exports it to a common format. The programmer then has to go in and hack the PRP and send the updated PRP to the artist, who can then tweak his/her texture or model and send the updated version to the programmer. Repeat until it looks good. This happens across the internet, and sometimes across timezones, severely limiting how quickly these updates can be iterated. Having a proper content license with the source files would allow artists to make these fixes on their own, reducing the time it takes to make updates like this and freeing up programmer time for other engine/server work.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Hoikas wrote:... I can only assume that means our ideas were unacceptable to Cyan.
I think that's a big assumption.
I agree, and I generally dislike assumptions myself. However, in this case, I'm explicitly stating my assumptions so we can be clear on how things are perceived by me and some others. 8-)

Mac_Fife wrote:On Rand's Mysterium comments, there were other things he said during that interview that I know he wasn't entirely accurate on, so I'm less inclined to take those remarks as definitive (is it heresay to disbelieve Rand? :P ). However, a thought is that while there may be nothing that Cyan wants to hold onto, we don't know what holds former backers/publishers may still have. We also don't know how much liberty Cyan may have in being allowed to discuss such matters with us.

I have a theory on all this (and somehow I missed Branan's earlier post where he suggested different licenses for ages and assets): Possibly Cyan are uncomfortable about an "open source" license on content, i.e. "open" in the conventional sense that you can use the material however you like. Maybe they want to say "Yes, we want you to have this, but we want it only to be used for MOUL/Plasma/CWE in which case you can use it freely. We don't want it to be used with any other engine or in any other context. We also don't want you messing with our age designs in a way that changes our stories or that makes us look bad". That would be a much more difficult license to construct.
Rand has a history of making "inaccurate" comments, so I can believe you (yes, we are committing blasphemy :P). Again, without a truly open dialogue we can't know for certain what the situation is. I don't think any of us would be adverse to signing the big scary NDA sell-us-your-soul if it meant a truly open dialogue on the matter.

I can definitely see the point about wanting to restrict uses of the Uru content. This is Cyan's content after all, and they invested a lot of time and effort into it. I certainly don't expect free-for-all content. We're interested in being able to use it to improve the game, not make our own game :). Constructing a license for this case would indeed likely be difficult, but I expect with all of us working together, we could do it. Indeed, if we knew for certain what Cyan's concerns were, we could craft the license for them, and Cyan could assist us in revising it in the case that it doesn't address all of their concerns.
JWPlatt wrote:My thoughts on a next step are simple. A brief intro stating concerns and reasoning like Adam's, even if it's been said a thousand times before, about why Open Uru needs this to thrive, though I would leave out "do this or it will be hacked anyway" as unconvincing, and a question: What would it take to get content licensing and the right to serve MOULa data? That way you're not spending a lot of time on aiming at an unknown target that possibly can't be discussed outside the company anyway, and you encourage Cyan to define the conditions instead. I suppose that's a dialog. The help Deledrius asks about is to write a compelling intro. At that point, it's something that can be submitted as a team.
I would be tempted to leave it out as well because it sounds like a threat from me. We know that I'm not malicious enough to post MystOnlineDecompiledMaxFiles.rar to The Pirate Bay, but it's still a possibility that we can prevent by having an official content license and release by Cyan. Aside from that, this plan of action seems good to me. We would need to have you guys who are in closer contact with Cyan to keep following up to ensure that the issue doesn't get lost in the pile :).

Somewhat off topic:
branan wrote:The problem with doing these sorts of fixes currently is that they requires a lot of programmer/artist interaction. An artist makes a texture or model and exports it to a common format. The programmer then has to go in and hack the PRP and send the updated PRP to the artist, who can then tweak his/her texture or model and send the updated version to the programmer. Repeat until it looks good. This happens across the internet, and sometimes across timezones, severely limiting how quickly these updates can be iterated. Having a proper content license with the source files would allow artists to make these fixes on their own, reducing the time it takes to make updates like this and freeing up programmer time for other engine/server work.
I think Branan is understating how much prgrammer effort goes into importing fixes and/or changes like these into the PRP files. An artist would provide me with an updated model, texture, or PRP file. I would then have to merge in manually (oh, remember, libHSPlasma has XYZ bug so you have to hack around W edge case!), write a patcher script (debugging time... oh, and if you decompile a plHKPhysical, it won't get saved correctly!), and then test (why is the new lamp *black*???). Rise, repeat, then go scream in anger/insanity. Those new lamps you see in that image? Yeah, those took about 2 days to get into the game--I was lucky that they didn't require any artist revisions. [TL;DR] We would really benefit from max file access ;)
Anaerin

Post by Anaerin »

I think Rand's "Want" comment may reflect the truth, but Cyan's hands may be tied by existing licensing agreements they have with other companies (UbiSoft, EA, MagiQuest, etc.) which restrict them from re-releasing content under different licenses (exclusive agreements and the like). Also, availability of original sources (Max files, settings, original textures etc.) may also be an issue.
branan

Post by branan »

Anaerin wrote:I think Rand's "Want" comment may reflect the truth, but Cyan's hands may be tied by existing licensing agreements they have with other companies (UbiSoft, EA, MagiQuest, etc.) which restrict them from re-releasing content under different licenses (exclusive agreements and the like).
This is definitely a possibility. Since they were able to release some max files, I'm more inclined to think they are able to release stuff but simply haven't decided how to prioritize the various interests and issues involved in licensing. This is the sort of discussion the community could be very helpful with, if we were better included. (do I sound like a broken record yet?)
Anaerin wrote:Also, availability of original sources (Max files, settings, original textures etc.) may also be an issue.
They definitely still have all the source files - their build process includes "compiling" the art assets just like the source code.

Return to “Management”