Content Licensing

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Deledrius

Re: Content Licensing

Post by Deledrius »

JWPlatt wrote:The ball is mostly in my court at the moment on this issue after some work that Mac_Fife completed. The ball is bouncing all over the place and hard to catch up to. I have to compile some points and discussion and make it concise so that it's more likely to fit into a "productive moment" and get attention.
Care to elaborate on this?

It would really help to know what's going on, not just to satisfy the feeling of momentum, but for the ability to assist with and discuss the topic. If you need something written/edited, there is a community that can help with that and take the load off you. If you need something split into bite-sized chunks, that can be done too.

Your last post in this topic was that nothing yet had happened beyond them receiving it, so it's good to hear that progress is being made.
JWPlatt wrote:OS developers could think of time and schedule as an analog for memory fragmentation and page faults, how long it takes to read and consider as code size, and memory resources as a function of the current economy. ;)
Honestly, I really have no clue what this means. :shock: Don't couch it, just say it. ;)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Deledrius wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:The ball is mostly in my court at the moment on this issue after some work that Mac_Fife completed. The ball is bouncing all over the place and hard to catch up to. I have to compile some points and discussion and make it concise so that it's more likely to fit into a "productive moment" and get attention.
Care to elaborate on this?
Basically, before getting too deep into things I tried to pull together the tiny fragments of indications (for that is all they are so far) that Cyan have given in various places about what they hoped to achieve with content licensing, what a license needed to do for Cyan, etc., and expand and reflect that back in a different wording, essentially around the points and remarks I posted back on June 3. The idea was to make sure that we were picking up the right messages out of it before setting anyone else off on a wild goose chase trying to find solutions to the wrong problems. I think JW is concerned that my expansion is too expansive and needs to be condensed if it is to get timely attention.

We're not trying to keep anyone in the dark, it's just that until we know what Cyan were really trying to say there's no "tasks" we can really pass on to the community.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Mac_Fife wrote:The idea was to make sure that we were picking up the right messages out of it before setting anyone else off on a wild goose chase trying to find solutions to the wrong problems.
That was my concern too, so I'm truly glad to hear you're taking care it. :) It's definitely part of the desire to see discussions -- to avoid what you're working to avoid.
Mac_Fife wrote:We're not trying to keep anyone in the dark, it's just that until we know what Cyan were really trying to say there's no "tasks" we can really pass on to the community.
I know you're not trying to. Knowing that something is going on does help.

Once you've gotten a clarification on Cyan's response, I hope we'll be able to participate in a dialogue at that point in how the community responds for the next step.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

This is a bit off topic, but somewhat relevant... I was browsing through some ancient history... man, how we're repeating the past :|
janaba

Post by janaba »

I think this isn't off topic at all ... This is a very nice and interesting thread you've been pointing to, Hoikas, as of the aliveness,
the openness, the dreams, the passion and inspiration, but it contains and reveals also much of the underlying manifold limited
perceptions and conceptions in the community at the same time that could be partially considered as source of the still prevalent,
persistent stuckness around the so called 'Open Source Uru Live', which isn't really open sourced, sorry ... :P

Sometimes I think, Andy and many others did it right ... but ok, they've chosen their way, they knew what they want and as they
saw there would be no way to evolve around Uru/MOUL according to their passion and expertise etc. and to grow and expand on
that, they actually patiently waited for years and served the community and did their part to keep Uru alive, they just decided to
leave that all behind and to stop the 'maybe Waiting for Godot' lol ... :)

This doesn't mean that all should leave now in case you couldn't endure that all anymore lol, unless whoever of you would feel
like that and come to that conclusion, you'd most certainly have my blessings and Kudos on your way ... :mrgreen:

I guess you all know what I'd like to express and I really don't like to say something explicitly, which I could only say for myself lol ...
You are all sooo great and wonderful and I'd say that Uru still lives to a great extent because of you all ... Please, don't wait until
frustration and discontent have eaten you and your beautiful kindness, dedication, passion and openness ... :D
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I sent the work Mac mentioned in his June 12 post to Cyan on Tuesday, June 26. So that's another half step. Things often take three to five weeks to turn around, but I should once again point out there's no set schedule. It included a license template, things covered in the Community Request, questions to clarify process details, and a summary of issues covered more deeply in Mac's template document. The point was to provide a full but simple framework with considerations to work with to save Cyan time and effort in moving forward. I listed content redistribution ("serving unmodified content") as the top priority at the moment.
Perfect speed is being there.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Sounds good. Thanks a bunch for the update!

What exactly do you mean by a "license template"?

Thanks for keeping this going, JW and Mac. :)
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

Any chance of seeing copies of what you send to Cyan?
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JW's post maybe implies something more solid and tangible than is really the case: If you refer back to my post in this thread on June 12 and the earlier one from June 3, I basically wrote out my interpretation of what Cyan have hinted at as regards their aspirations for a content license. Once I did that, it had the appearance of an outline of a license, but without a lot of flesh on the bones. As I suggested before, it's my interpretation and some of that interpretation is perhaps questionable, so It didn't seem prudent to share that until we'd clarified those questions and were sure we were on the same page as Cyan. The gist of it is in that June 3 post, but with more words and more questions ;)

We did however make a particular point that for shards wanting to redistribute unmodified content there was a different case that could possibly be covered under a "standard" license, as it only requires licensing the redistribution of the "compiled" content rather than anything around the source files. That obviously isn't the end game but seemed like a "quick win" for everyone and doesn't look to have too much impact on Cyan (doesn't need any new files to be made available, etc.,) nor create too much in the way of future obstructions for a content developer license. That particular use case didn't seem to be considered in anything Cyan has given us so far.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I really should check that I've written complete sentences before hitting "Submit"...
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

That's all quite good, in a general sense. Sadly that's all that it is, because it's all we've been given.

If I may be blunt: is there any reason why the two of you cannot share the actual documents you've prepared to share with Cyan on our behalf?

Return to “Management”