Backporting H-uru changes to OU

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Christian Walther

Re: Backporting H-uru changes to OU

Post by Christian Walther »

Whether you want to wait with porting them is up to you, but yes, I am of the opinion that we shouldn’t include them (nor any other new features) in the package we prepare for the 21st. (That is just my opinion though, if others disagree I’m happy to adapt.)

Because we don’t get the opportunity to get fixes to Cyan very often, we need to make reasonably sure that we get things right on the first try (this is a big difference to a release-early-release-often environment like H-uru/Gehn). In my book, that means only moving contributions into CWE-ou after they have been tested for a while on Minkata. I fear there is too little time left to give that treatment to contributions that still need to be ported, given the limited availability of key participants like rarified. If Cyan’s deadline had been two weeks later, that might have been different – although even then there would have been the question if it was fair to give these (small and welcomed) contributions precedence over others (maybe bigger or more controversial ones) that have been waiting for longer.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

I definitely agree with your assessment. If we don't have the necessary manpower to test that many fixes thoroughly on Minkata before this deadline, they shouldn't be included.

I was just hoping to get them in since the last time a patch was made for Cyan I was told these could go in the next one, so when I saw the call for patches I thought it was an appropriate time. There is a substantial backlog though. ;)
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

If nobody minds, I can try merging in those fixes. To my uneducated eyes, they look easy to implement, being based on no previous commits to work.

I've also taken the liberty of backporting several changes from Hoikas (such as the AFK clickables as suggested on the MO:ULa forums) into my clone of CWE-ou (just ignore that lone Hoikas commit; I just messed up there :oops: ). I can't test these changes, though, since I don't have the appropriate compiler. :?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Lyrositor wrote:I can't test these changes, though, since I don't have the appropriate compiler. :?
It's time for me to remind folks that the foundry has the ability to use source code from repositories other than just those located on the foundry and maintained by OU.

We could set up a build job to monitor your BitBucket repository, and when it changes, do a build on the Foundry Jenkins system, which would then make the built programs available to you for download yourself.

Let me know if this is something you would like to try.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I knew you could do this, but I wasn't sure if I had a right to ask. But since you're offering it to me... why not? :D
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Christian Walther

Lyrositor wrote:If nobody minds, I can try merging in those fixes. To my uneducated eyes, they look easy to implement, being based on no previous commits to work.
I thought Deledrius wanted to do them, but was just waiting for me to detail how I did it with the cursor/client resource manager changes? I haven’t forgotten about that, I just haven’t had time, sorry.

But better two volunteers than none, I guess! :)
Lyrositor wrote:I've also taken the liberty of backporting several changes from Hoikas (such as the AFK clickables as suggested on the MO:ULa forums) into my clone of CWE-ou (just ignore that lone Hoikas commit; I just messed up there :oops: ).
I was actually under the impression that that change was on Deledrius’ list when I made that post on the MOUL forum. Thanks for saving my butt! ;)

I haven’t studied in detail yet what you have done there, just some suggestions based on the commit graph:
  • You should base your commits on some revision that is already in the target repository, preferably the current tip, not simply on what happens to be the latest in your personal fork. Pull that into your local repository and update to it before making your change and committing. That leads to less spaghetti history when your pull request is merged.
  • When you port (or develop) several unrelated and independent changes, it’s best to commit each to its own branch (all branching off from the revision selected above), so they can be reviewed and merged independently. If you commit them on top of each other, the second cannot be pulled without also taking the first with it. I suggest naming these branches (“hg branch mybranchname” before committing) rather than creating multiple heads of the “default” branch, but that may be a matter of personal preference.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Okay. In these cases when I get it all wrong (numerous, numerous cases!), my solution is usually to delete and start over. :P
So maybe I should delete this repository then clone it again to make the new and better structure proposed here. Just one question: how would this affect my current pull request?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Christian Walther

The nice thing about decentralized version control is that deleting and starting over is the normal way of working – you don’t even need to delete to start over, but can try several ways side by side (unlike e.g. Subversion where once you commit, it’s committed and you don’t get a second try).

I don’t know what would happen if you delete a fork that is the source of an open pull request, so to be safe I wouldn’t try that right now. Rather, I would just strip the unwanted revisions from your fork. There is an option for that under the Admin tab in Bitbucket. In your local repository, you can do it with hg strip (although there, pulling everything you want into a new one and deleting the old one works too).
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Alright, thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could do that...
So, I'll restart work sometime in the not-too-distant future. Unless Deledrius beats me to it. ;)
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
rarified

Post by rarified »

Ok, you're all set up on Jenkins. You can see your project at http://foundry.openuru.org/hudson/job/C ... r-Compile/. From that page you should drill down to the "default" configuration on the main panel, which gets you to the sub-job that is run on the Windows build machine.

From that Win2k3Builder configuration page, you can see the build history for each build performed against your BitBucket repository. Clicking on one of those history links will bring you to a page where you can see the console output from the build, retrieve the build artifacts (I've set it up to build a self-extracting RAR archive just like with Minkata), and see the analyzed warning logs from the compilers and other build tools.

If you log in to Jenkins (link upper right title bar of page) with your Foundry account you will be able to see a few more details about the job and configuration.

Let me know if you have questions!

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “Management”