Deadline For Next MOULa Update - May 21.

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
JWPlatt

Deadline For Next MOULa Update - May 21.

Post by JWPlatt »

Hi folks,

I'll be brief and let you question, discuss, plan and conspire in this thread.

The deadline to have work tested on Minkata and ready in the CWE-ou and MOULSCRIPT-ou repositories for the next MOULa update is May 21, 2012 by the end of the day to be picked up by Cyan Worlds for the next MOULa server restart just before or just after Memorial Day weekend.

I know we have copy/paste which fits our desire to provide at least one user-facing usability feature or improvement. And I'd also like to see the less grabby window feature in there, if possible. Do we have the corrupt JPG fix in yet? That would be good too. I know there are other things already on our Minkata test shard as well. Maybe we could gather up a list here of what is available now, and what is possible to include before May 21, and how to promote testing. Finally, any hope for Unicode?
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Re: Deadline For Next MOULa Update - May 21.

Post by Hoikas »

Maybe we should focus on contributions that have already been submitted (yet seemingly ignored) rather than demand new ones...
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

I would go even further: No new features beyond what is currently in testing on Minkata. We already have a backlog of contributions waiting to go into Minkata once what’s currently there is moved to CWE/MOULSCRIPT-ou (the one Hoikas links to, among others), so we should focus on getting that done. I agree that the non-grabby window etc. would be good to have, but that’s for the next round. JWPlatt, can I take your wishes as announcements that you are working on porting those? If not, I plan to take a look at least at the non-grabby window when I get around to it.

Here’s what my plans are, pending coordination with rarified:
  1. Release a bugfix update to the shard as soon as possible, containing the fixes for what we’ve been testing since the last update that are in the *-ou-minkata repositories now (or should arrive there shortly):
    • Landing animations no longer direction-dependent
    • Restore minimum resolution 800x600 to unclutter the slider
    • More robustness in the copy/paste code (no user-visible effect)
    • Cyan’s fix for the Relto bookshelf for large KI numbers (no user-visible effect on Minkata)
  2. Give it another week or two of testing on the shard.
  3. Promote those changes to *-ou: Accept pull requests and merge other inputs until we arrive at the same file trees as in *-ou-minkata, but with a cleaner history. Then reset *-ou-minkata to *-ou.
  4. Start the next cycle by accepting pending contributions into *-ou-minkata.
That takes us to about a week before the deadline, at best, assuming we don’t need any more bugfixes. I doubt we’d be able to fit another cycle into that week.

I happened to write up the following list of pending contributions for myself yesterday and might as well publish it here:

Code: Select all

Date        Author      Source                  Dest    Comment

In -ou-minkata, waiting to go into -ou after testing:

2012-01-27  D'Lanor     MS PR 2 (MS Cru 15)     MS      Fix for the Er'cana bakery elevator getting stuck permanently
2012-01-27  D'Lanor     MS PR 3 (MS Cru 16)     MS      Relto visitors should not see blank pages in the city book
2012-01-29  Adam        MS PR 5 (MS Cru 17)     MS      Make Relto Calendar Star SDL consistent
2012-02-04  D'Lanor     MS PR 7 (MS Cru 18)     MS      Fix inconsistent behavior of city book clasp
2012-02-12  D'Lanor     MS PR 8 (MS Cru 19)     MS      Fix unclickable left-arrow in KI when destination is top of category list
2012-02-17  D'Lanor     MS PR 9                 MS      Improve Big KI player list sorting
2012-03-05  Boq         CWE PR 6 (CWE Cru 9)    CWE     Basic clipboard functionality
2012-03-20  D'Lanor     MS PR 10                MS      Fix the fearless quabs bug
2012-03-27  CyanWorlds  MOULSCRIPT              MS      Fix for Bookshelf stop working when KI number of large.
2012-03-31  Adam+CW     CWE Cru 8               CWE     DST Fix
2012-04-03  Adam        CWE Cru 10              CWE     Fix Landing Behaviors
2012-04-03  Adam        CWE Cru 11              CWE     Fix an Aspect Ratio Assumption
2012-04-05  Adam        MS Cru 20               MS      Improved video resolution code
2012-04-06  CW          CWE PR 7                CWE     Add plFileEncrypt, plFileSecure, plPythonPack to AllClient.sln
2012-04-07  CW          CWE PR 8                CWE     Wrap uses of the missing CyPythonIDE with #ifdef HAVE_CYPYTHONIDE
2012-04-09  Boq         (CWE Cru 12), BB cw     MS+CWE  Allow plNotify variable events to carry integers in addition to floats.

Waiting to go into -ou-minkata:

2012-04-10  Skoader     CWE PR 9                CWE     Improve simulation timing
tbd         CW          tbd                     CWE     Loosen physics timestep clamp
tbd         CW          tbd                     CWE     Unlock frame rate
2012-04-15  CW          CWE PR 10               CWE     Improved Cursors
2012-04-29  Skoader     CWE PR 11               CWE     Update for Visual Studio 2010
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Now that this has been fixed on the client level Cyan's "Fix for Bookshelf stop working when KI number of large" should be reverted to its old state on MOULa, especially since it uses redundant Python functions (string.atoi). Consequently there would be no need to include it into the Minkata repos and builds.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Christian Walther wrote:JWPlatt, can I take your wishes as announcements that you are working on porting those?
My wishes are not announcements; i.e., not a spec. They're just personal wishes/suggestions as a user. I'm fine with whatever you and rarified believe is right for this update. Rarified's time is limited, as is that of other team members as requirements of work has thankfully picked up, so we'll be thankful for anything that can be done.

Thanks for the list! Very helpful.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

D'Lanor wrote:Now that this has been fixed on the client level Cyan's "Fix for Bookshelf stop working when KI number of large" should be reverted to its old state on MOULa, especially since it uses redundant Python functions (string.atoi). Consequently there would be no need to include it into the Minkata repos and builds.
Can you translate this into a ToDo for Cyan, and for us? I'm confused because you appear to say both sides should remove the fix.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

D'Lanor wrote:Now that this has been fixed on the client level Cyan's "Fix for Bookshelf stop working when KI number of large" should be reverted to its old state on MOULa, especially since it uses redundant Python functions (string.atoi). Consequently there would be no need to include it into the Minkata repos and builds.
Hmm, has it actually been fixed? I have never checked if our client-level fix also covers that situation. Good idea, I’ll do that.

Although, if we touch that Python code anyway, I’d be more inclined to change it into what is reportedly a better fix than revert it to the previous state.

(We still need to include Cyan’s fix into MOULSCRIPT-ou though, to get in sync with Cyan, and in fact the order in my list above is wrong – this needs to go in first, so that we have everything Cyan already has first, and then stack everything Cyan does not have yet on top of it, so they can pull a contiguous range of revisions rather than having to cherry-pick.)
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Christian Walther wrote:Although, if we touch that Python code anyway, I’d be more inclined to change it into what is reportedly a better fix than revert it to the previous state.
Hmm, that fix has quite a few multiplayer implications. Though I suppose it has been thoroughly tested on Gehn by now.

Edit: I took a closer look at that fix and I'm happy to report that it appears to be rock solid. At first I had my doubts because it seemed as if the function which restores the bookshelf for any remaining players was partly skipped. This however is already taken care of by a different ptNotify message elsewhere. So this gets a thumbs-up from me. :)
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

JWPlatt wrote:Finally, any hope for Unicode?
What do you mean? Are you talking about chat, or the wider topic of multi-language support for the game?

Until we get an official 'okay' back from Cyan on that monolithic Licensing topic, it basically won't matter how well the engine supports Unicode, as the game doesn't.

We have it enabled in the client on Gehn for testing the existing fixes, but it can only do so much. IMO, there's no point in enabling a half-working feature for Minkata/MOULa which will only get bug reports on things we can't fix for legal reasons, or more importantly, get bug reports sent to Cyan that they don't have the time, money, or interest to address.

IOW, the "hope" for Unicode isn't in our court. Meanwhile, work is still being done on the slim hope that it will matter one day and not just all be wasted effort, but it is not yet complete.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Chat. This thread is about updates we can do now and not a discussion about content licencing. I'm not sure how rational it is to spend time on slim hopes unless you have nothing left to do

Return to “Management”