Content Licensing - Register of licensees

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Trekluver

Re: Content Licensing - Register of licensees

Post by Trekluver »

JWPlatt wrote:These are all things in the Community Request and, as such, already strongly represented to Cyan.

If you (plural) would like to work up some legal text which would extend an existing, stock license (such as CC) - which has that extensibilty built into it - to put forth, I recommend it. Use the Community Request as a guide for your terms. Writing a new license from scratch would add significant time, effort, analysis and cost (to Cyan) by corporate lawyers, making its completion and approval unlikely in our lifetime. A proven, well-known license with a few extensions to address community concerns and the Cyan concerns which Mac previously outlined will get much faster results.
Sounds good. :D However, it appears that whatever route we follow, some major license edits will need to be made. I think OpenUru has the capability to do this on it's own and propose it to Cyan, rather than expecting them to write it up themselves (Which definitely won't happen).
JWPlatt wrote:I also recommend that one person coordinate the effort and be responsible for it. Make a reach for what you want, but be realistic so that we do not waste time.
If Deledrius and everyone else is ok with it, I'd be interested in heading up this portion of the operation (With some help no doubt. :P ). I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty good around CC licenses, and, since it appears we may be basing the proposal on it, I know most of the basis of its legal code.
JWPlatt wrote:(By the way, this thread has evolved back to the core topic :P )
Yes, yes it did. :mrgreen:
TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Trekluver wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:(By the way, this thread has evolved back to the core topic :P )
Yes, yes it did. :mrgreen:
Bad Trekluver! No biscuit! :lol:
Trekluver wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:I also recommend that one person coordinate the effort and be responsible for it. Make a reach for what you want, but be realistic so that we do not waste time.
If Deledrius and everyone else is ok with it, I'd be interested in heading up this portion of the operation (With some help no doubt. :P ). I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty good around CC licenses, and, since it appears we may be basing the proposal on it, I know most of the basis of its legal code.
I'm not strongly opinionated on this, but I did rope Deledrius in to be the "lead" around this topic, and I feel somewhat obligated to allow Deledrius to "lead" (or at least allow him enough time to catch up on the recent comments here). A "joint effort" probably isn't a bad idea though, as we're all prone to getting caught out by things going "crazy" from time to time.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Trekluver wrote:
I'm not strongly opinionated on this, but I did rope Deledrius in to be the "lead" around this topic, and I feel somewhat obligated to allow Deledrius to "lead" (or at least allow him enough time to catch up on the recent comments here). A "joint effort" probably isn't a bad idea though, as we're all prone to getting caught out by things going "crazy" from time to time.
That's perfectly fine with me; he'll just have to let me know if he's up for it. In the mean time, I've been using my wiki sandbox to draft a few changes to a CC license. I also emailed Tor'i about Cyan's music and SFX licenses, but it will probably be a couple days before she gets back to me. When she does I'll let you all know. :)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Speaking personally, I think you're maybe starting from the wrong base license, but I'll get to that in another post. Tor'i is very unlikely to be able to offer any advice on existing licenses or rights restrictions or any thoughts on future licensing - it's just not her "domain". Rand and Tony Fryman are the only people in the frame here and probably only Tony's opinion actually matters. I can tell you that Ainia has already been in touch with Tony over the licensing of "Burn you up, Burn you down" in relation to the Heritage Documents, so you might be treading old ground - I have Ainia's PM reporting on Tony's response, but I can't get to it just now (I'm on the wrong side of a firewall).

I'd like to get together with you and Deledrius in a conference call to sort out who's doing what, but we'd need to sort out timezones: I'm guessing that Saturday around 13:00KI is likely to be the earliest opportunity that might suit everyone?
Mac_Fife
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Yea, that was mostly on purpose. I know the share alike terms will end up being removed, but I wanted its code in front of me as I did my tests. :) If you find Tony's response to that I'd be interested to see it.

A chat sounds good. I'm going to assume you're thinking Skype, but that won't be available for me. However, I should be able to use any other chat clients out there (except AIM); and then there's always IRC, but we'd need to do it over a private channel if we did that. 13:00 KI Time should be doable, but my schedule's kinda jumpy so I won't know for sure until Thursday afternoon. I'd probably be available before then as well, maybe even today, if you all want to do it sooner rather than later.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Actually, we usually use WebEx and voice via computer audio for "group huddles" (mainly on the HESK tickets up to now) - I've got a paid subscription for WebEx anyway so no-one else needs to do anything, it's multi-platform and there's no installation to worry about. My "available" time in the evenings here in the UK generally means afternoon for you US based folks, hence why I'm suggesting the same time slot that the AGMs usually take.
Mac_Fife
Trekluver

Post by Trekluver »

Ah, that sounds good then. I've never used it before, but basically if text chat remains an option for me then I'll be set. (Can't always guarantee voice chat due to my schedule and where I will be at the time, but I should be able to hear what you all are saying just fine. ;)

Return to “Management”