Deadline For Next MOULa Update - Nov 5?

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
rarified

Re: Deadline For Next MOULa Update - Nov 5?

Post by rarified »

Sorry Skoader, both Christian and I have been busy for a while. Your stuff will go in, my preference would be to make it the sole addition to a new update on Minkata as to make it easier to correlate any behavioral bugs to the physics change.

I do need to see what we can do to improve on the window cursor improvements, but that can be done independent of your update.

Let's see what I can squeeze in time-wise this week for a new update.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

There was also a nice improvement to the cursor itself to eliminate blur and make it visible using shadow on a white field. I don't want to confuse that with the grabby window cursor changes that I mentioned.
Perfect speed is being there.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

JWPlatt wrote:Christian, if you are reading, any chance you could work up one of your great wiki pages on what's available for the next update?
You mean a page with testing instructions for the things that are currently on Minkata, but not on MOULa yet, like MOULa Update 2012-05-29 Verification? Or more user-readable release notes about them? I can do either.

Skoader, your PR has not slipped through the cracks, but thanks for the reminder. I intend to give it a look this week. Since Deledrius and Hoikas have already expressed their approval, I don’t expect I’ll have much to complain, and I’m eager to get it in as well (though coordination with the mouse grabbing fixes will have to be discussed).

Unfortunately, with only the two of us working on it and being short on time, this kind of turnaround time is to be expected. If you would like to give us a hand with reviewing and integrating contributions (other than your own), you would be welcome as far as I’m concerned (though ultimately it would be up to rarified to decide).

I cannot reproduce the problem of an Uru window in the background catching clicks on another window in front. May be related to being in Parallels, which plays its own tricks with the mouse. The other mouse issues (cursor already becoming invisible on the window frame instead of just inside the window, mouse not being grabbed when bringing the window to the front by clicking on the title bar) I can reproduce. I don’t know what can be done about them, but maybe by studying the code and documentation I’ll figure out something. I wouldn’t mind if someone else would take a look too however.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, like the wiki Update Verification page. I think that's the most valuable all around and the update list can easily be derived from it. Even better if the wiki page also provides the attribution - i.e., "Allow entry into Hood submarine hatch (<developer>)"
Christian Walther

Done: Minkata Shard: Contributions under Test. The page can be moved to another “MOULa Update Verification” title when the MOULa update is prepared, and a new one started under the old (or some other appropriate) title.
Skoader

Post by Skoader »

Christian Walther wrote:Unfortunately, with only the two of us working on it and being short on time, this kind of turnaround time is to be expected. If you would like to give us a hand with reviewing and integrating contributions (other than your own), you would be welcome as far as I’m concerned (though ultimately it would be up to rarified to decide).
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Not sure how much I can contribute (timewise) but if rarified is willing to set me up I'd be more than happy to help when I can.
Christian Walther wrote:The other mouse issues (cursor already becoming invisible on the window frame instead of just inside the window, mouse not being grabbed when bringing the window to the front by clicking on the title bar) I can reproduce. I don’t know what can be done about them, but maybe by studying the code and documentation I’ll figure out something. I wouldn’t mind if someone else would take a look too however.
I've just pushed some fixes for these issues to bitbucket.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Awesome, thanks!
Christian Walther

Skoader wrote:I've just pushed some fixes for these issues to bitbucket.
Cool, thanks! I’ve tried this and it works much better now. Much closer to what I’m used to from Mac OS. :P

Skoader and Lyrositor, can the two of you discuss among yourselves whether Lyrositor adds these commits to his original pull request or Lyrositor retracts his pull request and Skoader makes a new one, so we have a place to review this?
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I would suggest me retracting my original pull request for two reasons:
1. It was already merged into Minkata.
2. I inadvertently deleted my branch. :oops: So we're not sure what would happen if it were to be merged.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Christian Walther

Lyrositor wrote:1. It was already merged into Minkata.
That’s a normal occurrence in the life of a CWE pull request. Happens to every one of them. It’s merged to CWE-ou-minkata first, then to CWE-ou. Since it is made against CWE-ou, only the latter closes it.
Lyrositor wrote:2. I inadvertently deleted my branch. :oops: So we're not sure what would happen if it were to be merged.
We’re not sure what would happen if it were merged in its current, apparently empty state. But if you were to add the commits it originally contained again, plus Skoader’s new ones, I see no reason why anything other than the expected should happen. I don’t use the Bitbucket web interface to merge anyway, but do it locally and only push to Bitbucket afterwards, so the worst that could happen is that it would miss to automatically mark the pull request as merged.

So, I don’t think these are very strong reasons to retract it. But that’s OK, you don’t need to give reasons – decide as you want. Arguments for and against from my point of view are that retracting one pull request and making a new one adds clutter, but gives Skoader as the author of the new commits more control.

Return to “Management”