Redesigned Bitbucket.org Supports In-Line Comments, More...

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
JWPlatt

Redesigned Bitbucket.org Supports In-Line Comments, More...

Post by JWPlatt »

Please see this announcement from Bitbucket.org. Especially you, Christian. ;)

http://blog.bitbucket.org/2012/10/09/in ... bitbucket/

I'm going to quote a previous post.
JWPlatt wrote:When we first laid out our repo plan during preparations for open source, Bitbucket.org was in that plan. It was not realized at first, but with some "inspiration" (that's a code word for constructive criticism) from the development community to get it in gear, we recently restructured the repos to include Bitbucket mirror synchronization as we had originally intended.

Our intentions were based upon these two important things: 1) Our choice of Atlassian tools for Foundry, and 2) The acquisition of Bitbucket by Atlassian in 2010. The Atlassian tools on Foundry provide an enterprise class code management system so that we can be ready for something big. Bitbucket gave us the kind of "social" collaboration development environment that is becoming popular and easy to use - a "Facebook" for software developers.

When Atlassian acquired Bitbucket, they wrote in their press release that they "will remain agnostic towards version control systems and will continue to support Subversion, CVS, Perforce, ClearCase, Mercurial and Git in its products." It is that statement from a well-established company with a quality product that gave us the faith to put our trust in the future of what Bitbucket was promising. Freedom of choice is a great asset and we liked where Bitbucket was headed.

Bitbucket recently gave developers the ability to make comments on changesets. While inline code comments would also be nice, Bitbucket has said the implementation of changeset comments will enable the development of inline comments.

Now today, one year after the Bitbucket acquisition, in a move that justifies our long term faith in Atlassian and Bitbucket to deliver, Bitbucket has announced Git support, including a GitHub importer:

http://blog.bitbucket.org/2011/10/03/bi ... rocks-git/
And now Bitbucket has in-iine comments as part of a light-weight code review process, among other improvements. I hope everyone enjoys the redesign and that it makes development even more fun.

Bitbucket did not support Git. Now it does (see my post). Bitbucket did not have Pull Request comments. Now it does. Bitbucket did not have in-line comments. Now it does. In the last year, Bitbucket has added Git support, introduced Bitbucket Teams, tightly integrated with JIRA, and now this redesign. One could say they're still playing catch-up to Github, which is true to an extent and something of a false choice because both can exist and be useful, but Bitbucket's vision has been an independent roadmap with a greater scope than to be the best with just one version control system.

I'm wondering what Bitbucket will respond to their users with next. It's good to see them keep up with demand and it's worth the wait. Our trust has been well-placed.
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Re: Redesigned Bitbucket.org Supports In-Line Comments, More

Post by Lyrositor »

I got the e-mail for this. Looks nice, looks very nice indeed. :)
I was also wondering: now that there's Git support, is there anyway to move the OU.org repository to Git, to make commit transplants easier for developers ? 8-)
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Agreed, it looks nice, and the new features are welcome additions.

Found one bug.
Lyrositor wrote:I was also wondering: now that there's Git support, is there anyway to move the OU.org repository to Git, to make commit transplants easier for developers ? 8-)
Would that really make it easier? In my experience, what makes it hard (or tedious) is the differences in the source trees (some of which are unavoidable since they are the whole point of having separate forks), not the choice of version control system. Is your experience different?
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Well it's feasible, it just requires installing more software, and developers might be more encouraged to port. I guess it is the difference between the trees that might be most problematic, though. /shrug
If it's easier, I don't mind keeping Mercurial (especially since I don't particularly write much code anyway :P ). I was just wondering if it was a matter of flicking the switch to "Git" from "Mercurial".
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

I would like to see the ability to fork an hg repo to git and vice versa. Now that I've seen the light of git, Mercurial is just too limiting for my tastes.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Lyrositor wrote:I was just wondering if it was a matter of flicking the switch to "Git" from "Mercurial".
I'm afraid it's not that easy. There's a lot of under-the-cover glue that was designed with Mercurial in mind.

I think Christian identified the most significant hurdle; that the two forks realize different structures due to somewhat different processes and goals, and that's the hard thing to correlate between them. Regardless of the SCM involved.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “Management”