RAD Game Tools License Concern - Immediate Action Required

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
JWPlatt

Re: RAD Game Tools License Concern - Immediate Action Requir

Post by JWPlatt »

Judging by the 116 PR comment email notices I just got, I'd guess without looking that the comments are back. :)

Thanks much to Atlassian and Bitbucket.
Perfect speed is being there.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Alright, with the comments copied and the original dates added in a comment, the CWE-ou repository on Bitbucket is back in service now, as far as I am concerned. The Bink-stubs pull request that I propose merging before anything else is here.

Now onwards to CWE and CWE-ou-minkata:
  • Has anyone talked to Cyan yet about how they intend to proceed? Will they have our Bink stubs in the public repository and replace them with their real implementations locally?
  • I don’t have access to CWE currently (and can’t find an up-to-date clone among my dozens of CWE clones right now :)), so I’m taking a guess at what it currently contains - can anyone who still has confirm: the 10 revisions leading up to “Build 912” by CyanWorlds, Thu Jun 14 17:09:15 2012 -0700? I suggest doing a straight de-bink conversion on that. That leaves it unbuildable, but leaves things open to whatever Cyan decides. The result is a757a1f, so that can just be pulled from there (and then the old history stripped). I suggest pushing/stripping rather than deleting and recreating the repository on Bitbucket in order to retain watchers (and whatever other repo metadata there is).
  • For CWE-ou-minkata, I would suggest a de-bink conversion plus a merge of aforementioned pull request, so we end up with a buildable state that should be identical in functionality to what is currently on the shard. Rather than me providing this, maybe Rarified or JW could try running the convert-ou.sh conversion script on the original repository contents, to check that we end up with the same result? For the current tip, “Merged in Skoader/cwe-ou/avatar-physics (pull request #20 update)” by rarified <foundrymaster@openuru.org>, Sun Nov 11 15:55:10 2012 -0700, I’m expecting hash decb8192e629.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Chritian Walther wrote:•Has anyone talked to Cyan yet about how they intend to proceed?
I flagged up to Chogon at the start of this exercise that something would need to be done to accomodate the Bink removal, but at that time it went no further, because we didn't know quite which way we were going to jump. Since then Cyan has been pretty much pre-occupied with the Riven for iPad stuff, and I haven't pressed the matter. I don't imagine that JW has either. We probably need to give them a rattle when they get back in the office on Monday.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I did check in. The release of Riven isn't the end of it, and Chogon is "overclocked" like Alienware, so it could be quite a while still. We have time to figure out the best course of action on CWE. So I think the priority is really getting the Minkata pipeline running again.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Our (H'uru's) attention has been spread to many different corners of the codebase, so vp8 is not quite ready yet. We can watch a silent Cyan intro logo with what we've written though. Still needs lots of work to not be a huge hack.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

JWPlatt wrote:We have time to figure out the best course of action on CWE.
OK, given that and your private confirmation that my guess was correct, I’m confirmed in my opinion to simply de-bink what’s there in CWE for now, as I suggested above. Just so that we can make it public again as soon as possible, for people like Murf who would like to see the MOULa source code (that they are license-technically entitled to).
rarified

Post by rarified »

Since Cyan has released build 918, we have gone ahead with updating the BitBucket and Foundry repositories for CWE (the unaltered versions of code from Cyan) with "de-Binked" versions of all commits and purged any commits that contained tainted code. This makes the CWE repository ready for when Cyan can push back their adaptations of the 918 code changes.

Both the BitBucket and Foundry CWE repositories are now open for public access.

Unless you had a specific reason for specifically forking/cloning the CWE repository this update should not affect you. But if you do have a clone, you will need to use the force (-f) option to Mercurial's pull command when updating your clone (Mercurial will complain about an "Unrelated repository" if you do not). If you intend to provide public access to a CWE fork, be sure to strip out all the earlier commits which are tainted by Bink-related code before enabling public access.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Or just delete and clone a fresh copy.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Awww, you always have to give away the secret of the easy way. :roll:
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.

Return to “Management”