Content Liscensing and Youtube

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
GPNMilano

Content Liscensing and Youtube

Post by GPNMilano »

Okay. So now this is a new one on me. So, I've been uploading videos onto Youtube lately of content I'm working on for Uru. And one of those videos was flagged under Youtube's new ContentID program. The video in the new version of Descent that I've been working on that combines the Desert/Cleft with Descent. Since the age was made so that it matched Cyan's cleft identically, I made sure to use Cyan's sounds textures etc for areas that players had already visited. The video isn't being removed, but rather, a third party known as rumblefish, is claiming that they hold the copyright for the song that plays in the Cleft. Tim Larkin's Western Plains. Mind you the video is just the avatar running around the Cleft. But it is interesting non the less that we can't even post videos to youtube from MOULa anymore without the content getting flagged for copyright infringement.
JWPlatt

Re: Content Liscensing and Youtube

Post by JWPlatt »

If the music is Tim Larkin's, you should be able to reach him fairly easily to see if he is "rumblefish" or if he knows who that is and why they would object. Or at least be able to influence "rumblefish." Somehow I doubt Larkin would object to fan videos like that using the music. Did you check the credits of Myst V?
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

:(

Over the years, Youtube has made it incredibly easy for copyright trolls and big media to simply take down content from the little guy that is not really infringing. While, on the other hand, you can search for and find 50 copies of the #1 song in the country that haven't been removed. :roll:
GPNMilano

Post by GPNMilano »

JWPlatt wrote:If the music is Tim Larkin's, you should be able to reach him fairly easily to see if he is "rumblefish" or if he knows who that is and why they would object. Or at least be able to influence "rumblefish." Somehow I doubt Larkin would object to fan videos like that using the music. Did you check the credits of Myst V?
I checked both soundtracks, neither have that song or track listed. I disputed the claim under fair-use and gave an explanation that "The music track in question is published through Cyan Worlds Inc and used in their open-source MMO Myst Online: Uru Live, in which the entirety of this video was captured through."

I checked up on it, this is rumblefish. Apparently they work with artists and companies so that music and video content that is owned by the copyright owners but used in videos by others get royalties through Youtube's monetization program. Basically if you make a video using even a small clip of copyrighted music that is liscened through rumblefish, you can't make money off it but they can and then pass that money off to the actual copyright owners. After taking their percentage of course. Not that this means anything to me personally as the videos are there for Uru users to get a small glimpse of the production process, not to make money off of.

Do a search on youtube of "youtube copyright" apparently there was a massive flagging of videos two weeks ago for the above reasons.

Interesting. But again, according to rumblefish's faq the video will stay up, and it's okay to use the music, they don't care as I won't be making money off it, as the video is now monetized through them, so whatever views and advertising is linked to the video, will go to them.

EDIT: Okay did some digging. Had to pull out my old Uru soundtrack, but I found that the music track Airstream is the music in question in the video. And Cyan, as far as I know, holds the Copyright on the Uru soundtrack, as they are the publisher listed on the soundtrack.
GPNMilano

Post by GPNMilano »

So just a quick update on the above situation. I have not received any notification from Youtube since disputing the copyrighht infringement claim. However in Youtube's video manager, the dispute claim that was listed next to the video, is no longer there. In addition the video is now enabled for monetization. I'm assuming I will hear something by Monday from the YouTube office that deals with this stuff, but it appears the dispute has been dropped.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I'm slightly uncomfortable with what's happening there. While it's quite reasonable for the copyright owners (and their appointed agents) to get any advertising revenue that accrues from the use of their work in other people's videos it seems like rumblefish aren't prepared to detail who they represent nor does it seem that they specify what work they are actually claiming in respect of. In other words it sounds like the door is open for them to make spurious claims in respect of almost anything they wish and place the onus on the video publisher to dispute the claim, meaning that they could end up claiming monetization off a heap of stuff that they actually have no rights to whatsoever. There's a distinct lack of transparency in their operation.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

That's the way all these copyright trolls work... They always pick on the little guy.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I don't post to YouTube (even though G+ tried to foist a YouTube account on me) so I don't see these things much but it looks like it's been going on for some time - this post is from almost two years ago, after Rumblefish attempted to claim ownership of the birdsong on a nature video: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201202 ... rors.shtml. Their CEO did an AMA on Reddit in an attempt to put a better spin on things: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q ... he_newest/
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Management”